Now that so many teams have switched to a zone blocking scheme

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
    well, i wasnt talking doing that on every offensive play or anything. but that could be the way i use my line when i want to really run the ball. just drive a whole side of the field with my line. get a good one cut back in there, or even a bigger power guy, and just run behind it.

but i do like the spread offense
    Spread offense or Run and shoot is a fun offense to run. The school where I coached ran a spread offense, which was similar to what Urban Meyer ran at Utah with Alex Smith. I liked that offense alot.

I wouldn't mind seeing a theortical Run and shoot with a big o-line blocking man to man with Brandon Jacobs in the backfield. Basically force the defense to get creative and have minimal help to stop a big back throughout the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
      Spread offense or Run and shoot is a fun offense to run. The school where I coached ran a spread offense, which was similar to what Urban Meyer ran at Utah with Alex Smith. I liked that offense alot.

I wouldn't mind seeing a theortical Run and shoot with a big o-line blocking man to man with Brandon Jacobs in the backfield. Basically force the defense to get creative and have minimal help to stop a big back throughout the game.
      that would be pretty interesting. i enjoy going over offensive schemes and systems...it just seems fun ya know. I'm a big fan of history an i like seeing all the tactics used by militarizes all throughout the centuries. something like the phalanx pops up, works great for centuries, then gets beat out by someone getting creative against it.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
        that would be pretty interesting. i enjoy going over offensive schemes and systems...it just seems fun ya know. I'm a big fan of history an i like seeing all the tactics used by militarizes all throughout the centuries. something like the phalanx pops up, works great for centuries, then gets beat out by someone getting creative against it.
        Yeah that's interesting you think along those lines and compare it to football. I see it as a big chess game, and compare it to that, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to coach football.

If you ever want to learn Xs and Os let me know. I have tons of coaching stuff, playbooks from Pro and College teams, and different articles by coaches, on my computer. So if you ever want to know something just let me know I can post it or email it, if you shoot me an email.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
          O nice, good to talk to somehow played o-line. I am a TE coach, and so we usually work out with our o-line. I make sure my guys work in tandem with the tackles so they are on the same page.

Yeah you are correct, but also as you know, each zone style is different, so it would depend on what the OC and o-line coach wants in terms of their specific system.

Also, if the guys are not quick and on the slow side, they may be able to get their double teams down, but when they chip off, and go to the next level, there would be no way they can block the LBs spilling. In my opinion, good o-linemen in that system are fast enough to reach, and then chip off and solidify their blocks at the next level. That gives the RB time to hit whatever hole he needs to, AND then make a move to accelerate in the open field.

Now ways to combat this would be how the defensive front and LBs are lined up. For instance, in a 4-3 system what is the front used to combat this specific system that an offense uses.

4-3 basic
          4-3 over
          4-3 under
          4-3 wide
          4-3 wink
          4-3 sink
          and alot more..

If a system, offensive one, has a weakness to a certain front, then it would be easier to blow that whole system up. That's where you better pray your coaches can in game adjust.

But again what you say is correct, but it comes down to how the system was taught and the techniques used. So you learned it a certain way, so I am sure DCs would get their o-line coach to figure what you guys are doing and then accordingly pick the front and techniques used to beat it.

But I credit guys in that system it's fun to watch and draw up as well, but I prefer mixing zone and man blocking schemes in an offensive playbook.

Well the one we run is made to go up against ANY defensive front/blitz scheme pretty much unless they decide to stack 9-10 in the box. Our OC is a HS coaching legend that moved up to our college team last year. He gets a TON of stuff from pro teams. Its pretty hard to explain but its very effective. We average something like 200 yards a game on the ground.

^A Bonekrusher production^
          Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

Originally posted by themaninblack View Post
            Well the one we run is made to go up against ANY defensive front/blitz scheme pretty much unless they decide to stack 9-10 in the box. Our OC is a HS coaching legend that moved up to our college team last year. He gets a TON of stuff from pro teams. Its pretty hard to explain but its very effective. We average something like 200 yards a game on the ground.

O I know what you mean. Alot of pro coaches give lectures and have video tapes out. For instance, at the college I was at this past year, they had alot of defensive and offensive video lectures from alot of good college coaches, and pro coaches. And basically you sit and learn from those videos. Some are from live lectures by pro scouts. One by Bobby April, if I remember correctly, the Bills Special teams coach. He showed everything from their drills to what his philosophy is.

But keep in mind while your OC is doing that, another DC is getting stuff on how to stop your OC! So that is what makes coaching so interesting.. It's a constant chess game, or arms race to get better.

One of the most under rated things a coach can do is in game adjust. If a coach sucks at that, he will get beat during the game by the opposing coach.

Comment

My ideal O-line would be something like this...

LT Marvel-ous Smith
              LG Chris "Big Daddy" Keomatu
              C Justin "The king of kings" Hartwig
              RG Kendall "Type 2" Simmons
              RT Max "The Franchise" Starks

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information