No announcement yet.

Free Agent class of 2009

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Boley is also a FA next year if we dont work out something long term. We have him signed to a tender of 2 million for a year right now. Hopefully we get something long term for him.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
      yeah, does anyone know when lance briggs is a FA again?
      He signed a 6-year, $36M deal (although it can be 2 yrs/14.9M) this summer, keeping him with the Bears for a long time. Whether that's at WLB or MLB, whatever happens with Urlacher, Briggs can be a Pro Bowl linebacker at either position.
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
        I'd like to keep Hayden, but I'd rather sign Marlin Jackson who is a FA after 09, that guy can do everything at corner and safety, at a Pro Bowl level. Free safety Antoine Bethea is also a FA after 09, I think I'd want to re-sign him over Hayden as well, given that the Colts have Dante Hughes and Michael Coe waiting in the wings.

So it's unlikely all three guys could be re-signed, especially when a young guy like Hayden in his prime will get paid on the open market by teams wanting a young corner - especially teams with the same defense like Tampa Bay and Detroit.
        I can't see the Buccaneers paying big money for a corner in the offseason after the Draft. With Talib, Wilson and Buchanon all sub 30, the need for a corner has been drastically reduced. If Hayden was an FA this offseason the Buccaneers might have made a move, but I can't see it happening next year in the form of a large contract.

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
          6. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders cornerback - He out of Oakland for sure, I can't see him staying. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Green Bay IF Al Harris or Charles Woodson retire.
          I don't think he'll have any choice in the matter, to be honest. Oakland made no such guarantee to not franchise him again, and the organization still seeks to give him a proper deal. I'd be shocked if Al Davis lets Nnamdi walk.

Comment

Good point, the selection of Talib may not necessitate that. Although part of my including Tampa was guessing they would have a lot of salary cap space next year like they did this offseason, where they actually had to spend to be above the salary floor.

Comment

Eagles FA's-
              FS Brian Dawkins
              T William Thomas
              DE Jerome McDougle
              RB Ryan Moats
              S Sean Considine
              T Jon Runyan
              G Scott Young
              RB Correll Buckhalter
              S J.R. Reed
              LB Rocky Boiman
              CB Joselio Hanson
              TE L.J. Smith

Comment

Huh, I didn't realize both Thomas and Runyan were FAs. They've got Justice being groomed for one of the tackle spots already, though.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
                  Eagles FA's-
                  FS Brian Dawkins
                  T William Thomas
                  DE Jerome McDougle
                  RB Ryan Moats
                  S Sean Considine
                  T Jon Runyan
                  G Scott Young
                  RB Correll Buckhalter
                  S J.R. Reed
                  LB Rocky Boiman
                  CB Joselio Hanson
                  TE L.J. Smith
                  WOW, are the Eagles lucky that A) next year draft is stacked with OT and B) they have 2 first round picks.

Comment

no chance the bears let tommie walk. expect a franchise tag there if no long term deal is reached

Comment

Patriots free agents after this season:

Rodney Harrison
                      Mike Wright
                      Jabar Gaffney
                      James Sanders
                      Russ Hochstein
                      Lonie Paxton
                      Heath Evans
                      Jason Webster
                      Chris Hanson
                      Matt Cassel
                      Kenny Smith
                      Eric Alexander
                      Larry Izzo
                      Lewis Sanders
                      Fernando Bryant
                      Victor Hobson
                      Tank Williams
                      Marcus Pollard
                      Scott Pollard
                      Stephen Spach
                      T.J. Slaughter
                      Wesley Britt

Good god. Harrison, Gaffney, Sanders, Paxton, Evans, Izzo, and Britt contributed last year.

Comment

I was going to save this for my NFL Truths thread, but what the heck:

This is Ray Lewis' last season with the Ravens imo. He's a FA after 08 himself.

Comment

I would like to see Tommie Harris play a full season before we throw probably 60+ mil at him.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                            That's a lot. They can let Barber walk though, having drafted Tashard Choice and Felix Jones, he's now expendable. TO is too old to re-sign, perhaps.

Newman and Hamlin though, they aren't young, but are the best players in the secondary. Although the way the league is today, you wonder how much money you're willing to invest in the secondary.

It will be interesting to see how it works out. They already signed Flozell Adams long-term.
                            I don't think Barber is expendable at this point in the year seeing how neither of those guys have played a down yet. I think they'll resign him. Barber is a good #1, Jones will be a good #2 and Choice a good #3. I wouldnt prefer Jones as a 1 and choice as a 2.

Comment

Wow what a free agent class

4. Marion Barber, Cowboys running back - Last season, one NFC coach said Barber is an elite back in the same class as LaDainian Tomlinson or Adrian Peterson. Now he wants to be paid that way.
                              I would be very interested to find out what coach said that. I think it's slightly exagerating but I think Barber is going to be very good I have high expectations for him this year. His performance against the Vikings run defense was the single most impressive performance I watched from any RB that faced the Vikings.

Comment

Steven Jackson will be 25 this July btw. Now he's an elite back imo.

Edit: Just checked, Barber will also be 25 this June.
                                Last edited by Geo; 05-07-2008, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information