Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Agent class of 2009

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story;...o&confirm=true

Here is a look at arguably the top 10 players poised for free agency this winter.

Stephen Dunn / Getty Images
    Julius Peppers could be an attractive free-agent option for many teams.

1. Julius Peppers, Panthers defensive end –- Coming off a down year, but teams pay premium for pass rushers.

2. Steven Jackson, Rams running back –- Hard to imagine St. Louis parting ways with its most popular player.

3. Tommie Harris, Bears defensive tackle -– Talks on a long-term contract hit a standstill last month.

4. Marion Barber, Cowboys running back –- Last season, one NFC coach said Barber is an elite back in the same class as LaDainian Tomlinson or Adrian Peterson. Now he wants to be paid that way.

5. Chris Snee, Giants guard –- At a time when interior offensive linemen are cashing in, the son-in-law of Giants coach Tom Coughlin is going to cash in.

6. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders cornerback –- Oakland plans to franchise him again if he remains unsigned, which is a distinct possibility.

7. Albert Haynesworth, Titans defensive tackle –- Tennessee wouldn’t let Haynesworth leave this offseason, and its stance is unlikely to change.

8. Terrell Owens, Cowboys wide receiver -– At the age of 34, T.O. is performing like he were 24.

9. Will Smith, Saints defensive end -– New Orleans defensive end Charles Grant got his money and Smith intends to do the same.

10. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals wide receiver –- Still waiting for his first big-money deal.

Of course, the list hardly stops there. It goes on and on, like the money that could be spent on some of these players.

The free-agent class of 2009 also is scheduled to include Lions wide receiver Roy Williams, Bills wide receiver Lee Evans, Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman, Cowboys safety Ken Hamlin, Falcons linebacker Keith Brooking, Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson, Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby, Buccaneers quarterback Jeff Garcia and Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer.
    Next year's class dominates this years. Even with the franchise tag, we will see great players hit the market.

It certainly looks as if it could be a great class. But I think the majority of those players either get extended or franchised long before anybody has a chance to talk a deal with them. Heres to hoping the Fat Albert and Tommie Harris don't get offers and get snapped up by the Bucs.

Comment

1. Julius Peppers, Panthers defensive end –- I doubt he leaves, they are building that defense around him.

2. Steven Jackson, Rams running back –- Doubt it, look for him to be the highest paid running back.

3. Tommie Harris, Bears defensive tackle -– If he leaves, the d-line will have a huge hole in the d-line. Won't leave.

4. Marion Barber, Cowboys running back -- Will get his money, they won't allow him to walk out of Dallas.

5. Chris Snee, Giants guard –- A player who I could see leaving, but a big market like the Giants will pay him every cent.

6. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders cornerback –- He out of Oakland for sure, I can't see him staying. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Green Bay IF Al Harris or Charles Woodson retire.

7. Albert Haynesworth, Titans defensive tackle –- Will stay, see Peppers and Harris.

8. Terrell Owens, Cowboys wide receiver -– Depends if they win a Superbowl or not, if they do I think he thinks of retiring, if not I see him resigning.

9. Will Smith, Saints defensive end -– Could the Saints afford him? they paying Grant big money and would have to play Eillis top 10 money. They also have to sign Vilma, I think.

10. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals wide receiver –- He not going anywhere, he there #1 target if Chad leaves.

The only ones I can see leaving are Aso, Snee, and Smith.

Comment

Terell Suggs is going to be a FA isn't he?

Comment

Just looking at teams with multiple big name free agents. The Cowboys have Marion Barber, TO, Ken Hamlin, and Terrance Newman are on this list.

Comment

Its a great list of players but teams usually arent going to let their top players get away. Unfortunately most will see the tag or get resigned before other teams can get a sniff. So we wont get to see all that many if any top notch players switch teams.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
              Terell Suggs is going to be a FA isn't he?
              ya I dont think he'll resign.

Comment

Colts 09 UFAs
                1. CB Kelvin Hayden
                2. C Jeff Saturday
                3. LB Tyjuan Hagler
                S Matt Giordano
                DE Josh Thomas
                RB Dominic Rhodes
                Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                  Just looking at teams with multiple big name free agents. The Cowboys have Marion Barber, TO, Ken Hamlin, and Terrance Newman are on this list.
                  That's a lot. They can let Barber walk though, having drafted Tashard Choice and Felix Jones, he's now expendable. TO is too old to re-sign, perhaps.

Newman and Hamlin though, they aren't young, but are the best players in the secondary. Although the way the league is today, you wonder how much money you're willing to invest in the secondary.

It will be interesting to see how it works out. They already signed Flozell Adams long-term.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                    Colts 09 UFAs
                    1. CB Kelvin Hayden
                    2. C Jeff Saturday
                    3. LB Tyjuan Hagler
                    S Matt Giordano
                    DE Josh Thomas
                    RB Dominic Rhodes
                    I would get Hayden to sign and let the others walk. Saturday is getting too old and would cost too much to keep, plus the Colts have been amazing in developing linemen.

Comment

I like that the Packers have so much cap space, but I can guarantee they won't go after any of em

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

I'd like to keep Hayden, but I'd rather sign Marlin Jackson who is a FA after 09, that guy can do everything at corner and safety, at a Pro Bowl level. Free safety Antoine Bethea is also a FA after 09, I think I'd want to re-sign him over Hayden as well, given that the Colts have Dante Hughes and Michael Coe waiting in the wings.

So it's unlikely all three guys could be re-signed, especially when a young guy like Hayden in his prime will get paid on the open market by teams wanting a young corner - especially teams with the same defense like Tampa Bay and Detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                          I like that the Packers have so much cap space, but I can guarantee they won't go after any of em
                          If tommie harris hits the market i hope we get him just so Chicago wont get him

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

The Bears will franchise Tommie Harris if they have to, I would imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                              The Bears will franchise Tommie Harris if they have to, I would imagine.
                              yeah, does anyone know when lance briggs is a FA again?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information