Sporting News: NFC Cornerbacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting News: NFC Cornerbacks

I remember discussing these lists last year so let it begin once again.

1. Eagles. Lito Sheppard and offseason pickup Asante Samuel are supreme playmakers. Sheppard is every bit the ballhawk Samuel is, but injuries have limited him too often. Sheldon Brown is a punishing hitter.

2. Packers. Al Harris, 33, and Charles Woodson, 31, form perhaps the best press corner duo in the NFL, but they're getting old. Tramon Williams finished 2007 as the nickel; he is quick and tough but lacks size (5-11, 185).

3. Seahawks. Marcus Trufant is coming off a Pro Bowl season in which he led NFC corners in interceptions. Kelly Jennings was solid on the right side. Nickel back Jordan Babineaux's best trait is versatility.

4. Vikings. Antoine Winfield -- perhaps the NFL's best tackling corner -- and Cedric Griffin do a good job of pressing receivers. Charles Gordon might be the best cover guy among three players vying for the nickel job.

5. Cowboys. Terence Newman made the Pro Bowl last season but needs to intercept more passes. Anthony Henry knocks down balls with his long arms. If Pacman Jones is reinstated, he should excel in one-on-one coverage.

6. Panthers. Ken Lucas is underrated; he's a complete run/pass corner. Chris Gamble isn't much of a tackler but has pure cover ability. Nickel back Richard Marshall might eventually be the best of the group.

7. 49ers. Nate Clements covers the opponent's top receiver and isn't afraid to help in run support. Walt Harris' play dipped a bit last season, so the team drafted Reggie Smith with the hopes he can be a starter in the future.

8. Bears. Nathan Vasher is skilled in cover 2, and Charles Tillman is physical in press coverage and run support. Ricky Manning is an experienced nickel back but will be challenged by Trumaine McBride and Zackary Bowman.

9. Buccaneers. Rookie Aqib Talib gives the team a playmaker who is effective in man schemes. Ronde Barber is at his best working the slot on passing downs. Eugene Wilson and Phillip Buchanon are solid in man-to-man.

10. Redskins. Shawn Springs can cover one-on-one, press at the line or drop into a zone. Fred Smoot sometimes gives receivers too much cushion. Carlos Rogers is coming off a devastating knee injury.

11. Cardinals. Rod Hood and Eric Green are solid, but rookie Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie will challenge them for a job. Antrel Rolle was moved to safety but could return to his nickel slot, where he has had success.

12. Giants. Corey Webster was a revelation in the playoffs but must prove he can do it for the long haul. Aaron Ross is coming off a strong rookie year. Second-round pick Terrell Thomas is aggressive in press coverage.

13. Lions. The team made upgrades with the trade for Leigh Bodden, who is underrated, and the acquisition of free agent Brian Kelly, a Tampa 2 scheme veteran. Nickel back Travis Fisher is good in short zones.

14. Rams. The team lacks a difference-maker. Fakhir Brown is decent in coverage and is a sure tackler. Tye Hill has good speed but is undersized and injury-prone. Nickel back Ron Bartell must make better use of his size.

15. Saints. The team made marginal improvement at its weakest position by adding free agents Randall *** and Aaron Glenn and drafting Tracy Porter. *** and Porter will push starters Mike McKenzie and Jason David.

16. Falcons. The team's best starter is journeyman Von Hutchins, who is better suited to the slot. Chris Houston struggled as a rookie. The team drafted Chevis Jackson, but he doesn't have the speed to run with the fastest receivers.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=408428

Packers #2!!!!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Minnesota ranked dead last in yards allowed through the air a game.

Comment

They also got passed on 40 times a game due to the run defense and had barely any pressure from the D-line on a consistent basis. The CBs aren't as bad as that stat would make one think.

Comment

The Vikings probably shouldn't even be in the top 16. Even with the anemic pass rush, Griffin and McCauley had their struggles in coverage.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Only 8??? We should be at least 5...

Comment

Originally posted by Vikes99ej
              The Vikings probably shouldn't even be in the top 16. Even with the anemic pass rush, Griffin and McCauley had their struggles in coverage.
              Thats exagerating I'd probably move them down to below the redskins right now from their play last year but I'm expecting them to be much better this year.

Comment

i hope they put one out for the AFC
                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                The APS is strong in this one.
                Originally posted by killxswitch
                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
                  I remember discussing these lists last year so let it begin once again.

16. Falcons. The team's best starter is journeyman Von Hutchins, who is better suited to the slot. Chris Houston struggled as a rookie. The team drafted Chevis Jackson, but he doesn't have the speed to run with the fastest receivers
                  Wow. That's bad.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Giants secondary > Redskins Secondary. =D

Originally posted by Halsey
                    I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Sheldon Brown is good enough to be the best corner on a couple of those teams.

Comment

that's probably a fair ranking for us, although i don't agree that the vikings should be so high

Comment

IMO, who should be higher: New Orleans, Washington (If Rodgers is good to go)

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                            IMO, who should be higher: New Orleans, Washington (If Rodgers is good to go)
                            Giants and Cards should be higher. I really think that Arizona will have a top-5 pass NFC pass defence next year.

Originally posted by Halsey
                            I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
                              Giants and Cards should be higher. I really think that Arizona will have a top-5 pass NFC pass defence next year.
                              I can see it happening. Rolle should do much better at Safety. Rolle and Wilson should be great.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information