Joey Porter Cut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
    I bet you would have said the same about Cowher when he was hired.

Give him a chance. He has made 2 big moves as the coach and I've like both of them. (signing Aaron Smith to a 4 year deal and cutting Porter)

Lets give him some time before deciding we hate him just cause he's not Whis.
    I loved the Cowher signing, and don't care if we didn't sign whiz. I just hate the fact we signed a guy who has no clue about the steelers. At least Cowher knew what the Steelers were about. I would love for me to be wrong about Tomlin, but I'm afraid I won't be. This just proves he doesn't understand Steelers football. Porter had a down year fronm what he usually has, but he led us in sacks had a couple of int's and was a very vocal leader. Now we don't have that big leader on D. Thankyou very much Tomlin.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the Jets. At this point in his career, I don't see him wanting to play DE, and he would not be a good fit at LB in a 4-3 Defense. The Pats may express interest but I don't see him going there. Chargers are also possible, but I'm thinking Jets.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
        Although, couldn't a Steelers fan rub it in a Ravens fans face that they are losing a possible better talent?

If so, I guess neither of us have much to laugh about.
        yeah really :(

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Kamerion Wimbley plays the same position and is better than Porter was last year, I dont want the dude on Cleveland, but i dont think thats an option.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
            I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the Jets. At this point in his career, I don't see him wanting to play DE, and he would not be a good fit at LB in a 4-3 Defense. The Pats may express interest but I don't see him going there. Chargers are also possible, but I'm thinking Jets.
            This I believe is misunderstanding. I think Porter could very well be a solid if not pretty stellar 4-3 OLB. I don't know if he'd be a Sam or Will. I'm leaning towards Sam as he's a solid Pass Rusher and he's even better in coverage. I mean he single handedly beat the Dolphins in the season opener.

He's big/Powerful enough to rush the passer, but quick enough to cover the TE. I think he'd be an exceptional 4-3.. in fact, he might be better in the 4-3 because of him aging, he'll still be solid, in fact he might see another pro-bowl or 2 in a 4-3.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMontainya View Post
              Kamerion Wimbley plays the same position and is better than Porter was last year, I dont want the dude on Cleveland, but i dont think thats an option.

... Wow a young sizeable DE... without injury problems had 1 season better than an aging vet. Call the Press Folks.

Seriously, Porter > McGinnest and in a healthy year he'd flat out smoke Wimbley.

You browns fans are funny.

Comment

"... Wow a young sizeable DE... without injury problems had 1 season better than an aging vet. Call the Press Folks.

Seriously, Porter > McGinnest and in a healthy year he'd flat out smoke Wimbley.

You browns fans are funny."

I said Wimbley was better last year, you dont have to call the police on me because it was a 100% true statement. Your insinuating my comment to involve his career in which was un called for on your part.

Comment

Originally posted by NFLBOY View Post
                  I loved the Cowher signing, and don't care if we didn't sign whiz. I just hate the fact we signed a guy who has no clue about the steelers. At least Cowher knew what the Steelers were about. I would love for me to be wrong about Tomlin, but I'm afraid I won't be. This just proves he doesn't understand Steelers football. Porter had a down year fronm what he usually has, but he led us in sacks had a couple of int's and was a very vocal leader. Now we don't have that big leader on D. Thankyou very much Tomlin.
                  You do realize that this wasn't all Tomlin. Colbert wouldn't let Tomlin just come in and cut a player that he thought was useful. The organization agreed that Porter wasn't worth the money/hassle and thats why he was cut.

Tomlin is enough of Steelers football for me. He believe in running the ball and stopping the run. Same exact thing as the Steelers, just different methods.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

We'll see, I've never thought he would be particularly effective as a 4-3 OLB. He does a good job in coverage but if that is a more common duty for him I doubt he would be as effective. He has the physical ability to make the switch sure, but you are assuming that he would have no problem at all having to change his game quite a bit. As for the Dolphins game that was good positioning by Porter, but a horrible pass from Culpepper.

Comment

Originally posted by NFLBOY View Post
                      Because the coach makes the Personel decisions, not the GM.. I guess thats why Matt Millen was a scapegoat for Mooch and etc.

Actually Colbert and company (Not Tomlin) made the decision. They didn't want to have to pay Porter $1,000,000 roster bonus, just for him to hold out of training camp. Do I think Porter was worth his base salary this year? Yes. Do I think he was worth what his contract demands were going to look like? No. He wanted to basically get paid "Franchise" LB money, and frankly he's a contract past that worth.

Tomlin has been great so far. If he's 1/10th of the coach that he interviews as, we have a bright future.. Sure we may have a bad season or so.. But hell Noll only won I believe 2 games his first season as head coach... then what happened... 4 Superbowls in 5 years.

So I don't think Tomlin is the bad guy in this situation.

Comment

I just think the Steelers franchise is to good to be as bad as some think they might be soon. They will be fine. They will probably have at least 2 wins a year beating my Browns so....

Comment

"... Wow a young sizeable DE... without injury problems had 1 season better than an aging vet. Call the Press Folks.

You browns fans are funny."

I said Wimbley was better last year, you dont have to call the police on me because it was a 100% true statement. Your insinuating my comment to involve his career in which was un called for on your part.

You make it sound like it's a big deal that in a pro-bowl veterans decline that you had an LB on your roster that played as good as him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
                            Because the coach makes the Personel decisions, not the GM.. I guess thats why Matt Millen was a scapegoat for Mooch and etc.

Actually Colbert and company (Not Tomlin) made the decision. They didn't want to have to pay Porter $1,000,000 roster bonus, just for him to hold out of training camp. Do I think Porter was worth his base salary this year? Yes. Do I think he was worth what his contract demands were going to look like? No. He wanted to basically get paid "Franchise" LB money, and frankly he's a contract past that worth.

Tomlin has been great so far. If he's 1/10th of the coach that he interviews as, we have a bright future.. Sure we may have a bad season or so.. But hell Noll only won I believe 2 games his first season as head coach... then what happened... 4 Superbowls in 5 years.

So I don't think Tomlin is the bad guy in this situation.
                            He won 1 game his first year (1-13) and it was 4 superbowls in 6 years.

Comment

I just think the Steelers franchise is to good to be as bad as some think they might be soon. They will be fine. They will probably have at least 2 wins a year beating my Browns so....

I can't remember the last time we finished with less than 6 wins. I know we never did it under Cowher.

Comment

"You make it sound like it's a big deal that in a pro-bowl veterans decline that you had an LB on your roster that played as good as him."

I think your starting to take this message board to seriously, and as advice, I dont think you should react like you do, its bad for you.

Everythings so personal.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information