Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Reid Believes He Has a SB Caliber Team

Do you believe him?

I do. I think the Eagles quietly had one of the best offseasons in the league, and may very well win the NFC East this year.

Let's look at what went wrong last year, and what will change this year:

1. A healthy Donovan McNabb. He was not ready until half way through the season last year. Thats when they finally started clicking. This year he'll be back and even if he does go down, you have Kevin Kolb in his 2nd year backing him up. Theyll be fine if he misses a couple of games. Better off than last year, thats for sure.

2. A healthy LJ Smith. Their best "WR" was injured all of last year. Even then, their offense that "lacks playmakers" was the 6th ranked offense in the league last year. They couldn't punch it in the endzone however. Why? Mainly bc McNabb wasn't himself, and LJ was hurt. No big body threat in the redzone.

3. The WR Corps. Should be better this year. They added Jackson, and even if he's a non factor, Curtis should be much more adjusted to this new offense by now. You saw him grow during the year as he got adjusted to the WCO, he should be very comfortable in it by now.

4. A healthy, younger defense. First and foremost, I think its dumb for them to trade Lito. Why? In today's game, having 3 solid CBs is critical, they have that luxury. And they can always move Brown to Safety. On top of having a solid CB trio, they now have a younger dline. Abriamiri is an upgrade over Kearse, Cole will do his thing, and Laws will at the very least, bring heat as a situational pass rusher. Plus Cleo adds another underrated situational pass rusher to the line.

Plus Stewart Bradley brings more presence at the MIKE position and Gaither can now play WILL. They have a GOOD defense. Very good defense.

You factor in all of that, I expect a top 10 defense in the NFL easy, plus an offense that should be back to its 06 form, when it was top 2 in the league.

Don't sleep on the Eagles.

EDIT: Im not necessarily saying that the offense will be top 2 in the league, moreso that it will be very good next year despite the lack of "playmakers" on it.
    Last edited by bigbluedefense; 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM.

I hate this idea of the Eagles being a dark horse team. They still have age and depth issues on the OLine. This particular team hasn't shown an ability to finish off opponents, and the NFC East is still tough. The Giants will be just as good, Dallas could be better, and the Redskins are an unkown. You could order the East any way possible, and it wouldn't surprise me...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      Let's look at what went wrong last year, and what will change this year:

1. A healthy Donovan McNabb. He was not ready until half way through the season last year. Thats when they finally started clicking. This year he'll be back and even if he does go down, you have Kevin Kolb in his 2nd year backing him up. Theyll be fine if he misses a couple of games. Better off than last year, thats for sure.

2. A healthy LJ Smith. Their best "WR" was injured all of last year. Even then, their offense that "lacks playmakers" was the 6th ranked offense in the league last year. They couldn't punch it in the endzone however. Why? Mainly bc McNabb wasn't himself, and LJ was hurt. No big body threat in the redzone.

3. The WR Corps. Should be better this year. They added Jackson, and even if he's a non factor, Curtis should be much more adjusted to this new offense by now. You saw him grow during the year as he got adjusted to the WCO, he should be very comfortable in it by now.

4. A healthy, younger defense. First and foremost, I think its dumb for them to trade Lito. Why? In today's game, having 3 solid CBs is critical, they have that luxury. And they can always move Brown to Safety. On top of having a solid CB trio, they now have a younger dline. Abriamiri is an upgrade over Kearse, Cole will do his thing, and Laws will at the very least, bring heat as a situational pass rusher. Plus Cleo adds another underrated situational pass rusher to the line.

Plus Stewart Bradley brings more presence at the MIKE position and Gaither can now play WILL. They have a GOOD defense. Very good defense.

You factor in all of that, I expect a top 10 defense in the NFL easy, plus an offense that should be back to its 06 form, when it was top 2 in the league.

Is it really fair to say in a league where injuries are so common that a team had a great offseason because they got healthy?

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
        I hate this idea of the Eagles being a dark horse team. They still have age and depth issues on the OLine. This particular team hasn't shown an ability to finish off opponents, and the NFC East is still tough. The Giants will be just as good, Dallas could be better, and the Redskins are an unkown. You could order the East any way possible, and it wouldn't surprise me...
        thats also very true, but think about it, for all the issues you guys had last year, you still went 8-8 in the most competitive division in football. thats a heck of an accomplishment.

the oline did take a step back last year. but i think Justice should step in if need be and add some youth to it. It won't be that bad. McNabb held onto that ball longer than usual too, let's not forget that.

What im mainly trying to say is, it would not surprise me at all if the Eagles win the East or make some noise in the playoffs next year. Everyone talks about Dallas, and then the Giants, but I look at the Eagles and think that they can hang with us if not beat us. The Eagles are a very talented team this year imo.

Comment

EDIT: Im not necessarily saying that the offense will be top 2 in the league, moreso that it will be very good next year despite the lack of "playmakers" on it.
          We already had a good defense, but I think Clemons and Samuel could make it a great defense. There's an awful lot of ifs with the Eagles though. Mainly with McNabb.

Booker intrigues me for our offense. Our team could be almost SEC fast with Curtis/Jackson/Brown/Booker/Westbrook.

Comment

I think they can surprise some people, but LJ Smith is extremely overrated to me.
            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

i forgot about Booker. Reid will split him out wide often.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                Is it really fair to say in a league where injuries are so common that a team had a great offseason because they got healthy?
                im not saying that. they had a great offseason bc they made some great moves in FA along with the draft.

But injuries were a big reason why they didn't perform up to standard last year. Factor in a better roster with what should be a healthy team, and I see a different outcome this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
                  Our team could be almost SEC fast with Curtis/Jackson/Brown/Booker/Westbrook.
                  SEC SPEED!!!!!!11!!11

But I agree with I wouldn't be surprised to see the NFC east ranked any way...The team who stays the healthiest all year and sustains the least amount of injuries will finish 1st, I'd be willing to bet it ends up like that.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    I think they can surprise some people, but LJ Smith is extremely overrated to me.
                    LJ Smith is terrible. A backup TE at best.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                      SEC SPEED!!!!!!11!!11

But I agree with I wouldn't be surprised to see the NFC east ranked any way...The team who stays the healthiest all year and sustains the least amount of injuries will finish 1st, I'd be willing to bet it ends up like that.
                      i definitely agree with that. the talent levels are so even, it will basically come down to health.

Comment

This why having a drug dealer for a son is awesome, Andy gets the best ish in Philly!

The Eagles look good but that oline will get McNabb hit and hurt again, meaning the passing game will sputter as Kolb adjusts or McNabb continues holding the ball to long. They have skill but I don't think McNabb will hold up wellwhen teams with good passrushes sic the dogs on him.

Comment

LJ Smith isn't that bad. Overrated? Depends, id probably say yes, but he doesn't suck at all.

Comment

LJ Smith isn't that bad. Overrated? Depends, id probably say yes, but he doesn't suck at all.
                            Drops, drops, more drops and horrendous blocking makes him subpar in my book.

Comment

If it wasn't for the division, no doubt. I like the Eagles a lot every year. Westbrook is pretty beastly, there defense should be improved.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                              https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information