Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting News: AFC Safeties

1. Colts

Bob Sanders and Antoine Bethea were Pro Bowl picks in '07. Sanders is the ultimate enforcer, but his reckless style makes him injury-prone. Bethea has good range and instincts. Matt Giordano is an adequate backup.

2. Ravens

Ed Reed has great range and can cover one-on-one like a corner. Dawan Landry is effective in the box but struggles in deep coverage. Rookie Tom Zbikowski is a hard hitter who must improve his coverage skills.

3. Titans

Chris Hope closes well on the ball and is strong against the run. Michael Griffin is solid in run support and should make more plays in coverage in his second year. Vincent Fuller is a solid cover guy but a so-so tackler.

4. Steelers

Injuries brought this group down in 2007. The team needs Troy Polamalu to be at his disruptive best again. Losing speedy Ryan Clark for 10 games last season hurt because Anthony Smith didn't step up.

5. Jets

Kerry Rhodes is a ballhawk in coverage, a jarring tackler in run support and a superb blitzer. Abram Elam delivers big hits but needs to work on his coverage skills. Eric Smith is a solid backup with the ability to start.

6. Patriots

Rodney Harrison, 35, has lost a step but not an ounce of toughness. James Sanders is a solid starter but doesn't make many jaw-dropping plays. Brandon Meriweather is very fast but needs to play with more discipline

7. Browns

Sean Jones is tough and smart but must do a better job covering quicker tight ends. Brodney Pool is an excellent athlete but needs to be more consistent covering deep balls. Mike Adams is a solid No. 3.

8. Bills

Donte Whitner plays the run like a linebacker and has the speed to turn and run with receivers. Look for Ko Simpson to develop into a smart, rangy center _ elder. Bryan Scott and George Wilson are capable reserves.

9. Chargers

New starter Eric Weddle was always around the ball and flashed playmaking ability as a rookie. Clinton Hart's play against the run was a pleasant surprise in 2007. Steve Gregory is a smart, tenacious backup.

10. Raiders

Signing Gibril Wilson to play strong safety allows the team to move Michael Huff to free safety, a better fit for him. Wilson will add a physical presence. Rookie Tyvon Branch is also a big hitter.

11. Chiefs

Jarrad Page has good ball skills and solid coverage instincts but must improve his tackling. Bernard Pollard is a hard hitter but lacks ideal speed. Rookie DaJuan Morgan will challenge No. 3 safety Jon McGraw.

12. Broncos

There will be a lot of competition. Hamza Abdullah, who is fast but must take better angles, is a favorite to win one job. John Lynch will be challenged by Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel.

13. Texans

This unit lacks playmakers, though C.C. Brown emerged as a solid allaround safety last year. Will Demps, a physical hitter, will try to stave off Glenn Earl, who missed all of last season with a foot injury.

14. Jaguars

Reggie Nelson and Gerald Sensabaugh appear to be the starters, but the team could shuffle the secondary by moving corner Brian Williams to safety. Nelson is aggressive; Sensabaugh is athletic but injury-prone.

15. Bengals

Dexter Jackson is a hard hitter, but his overaggressiveness gets him in trouble. Second-year pro Marvin White needs to do a better job of playing the ball in the air. Chinedum Ndukwe flashed potential as a rookie.

16. Dolphins

Aside from Yeremiah Bell, who is an injury risk because of his hard-hitting style, the Dolphins lack playmakers. Renaldo Hill and newcomer Keith Davis will compete for the other job.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=412092

Pretty good list. I personally think the Pats are way overrated there, but not bad overall. You would also think that the Raiders would be much higher with Gibril and Huff.

Comment

I like the top 3, that's probably how I would rank it.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Finally some respect for the Titans after that atrocious 27 ranking someone on here gave them.
        Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
        RIP themaninblack

Comment

love the writeup on Kerry Rhodes, makes him sound badass.
          Id maybe switch the Raiders and Pats

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
          You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

If Huff plays to his potenial, we could be a top 5 S team

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
            @SirStackAlot707

Comment

I think the Jags should be higher on this list.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Regular View Post
                I think the Jags should be higher on this list.
                I concur with this man. Nelson had a poor season but he'll learn and bounce back this year. Sensabough had injury issues, if healthy he'll be good. If not Brian Williams would be a quality quick pick.

Comment

We're about where we should be right now but a move up that list will be occurring very soon.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                  Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

I guess KC is about right, for now, but the write-up is completely awful (Morgan was a steal and will compete for the starting FS spot, probably winning it if you ask me). They've got two pretty good second-year guys heading into their third year and then Morgan, a rookie, who could be a pretty good player.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyndham
                      I guess KC is about right, for now, but the write-up is completely awful (Morgan was a steal and will compete for the starting FS spot, probably winning it if you ask me). They've got two pretty good second-year guys heading into their third year and then Morgan, a rookie, who could be a pretty good player.
                      Isn't Jarrad Page the starting FS? I thought KC fans were pretty high on him...
                      Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                      Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                      Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

This just in, Dolphin's DBs are BAD.

That is correct comahan
                        I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                        <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                          love the writeup on Kerry Rhodes, makes him sound badass.
                          Id maybe switch the Raiders and Pats
                          I'd agree with the switch.
                          Let's get it done Spaziani.

Belichick might be an a-hole... but I'd rather have an a-hole that wins than one that doesn't.

Comment

Oakland should be higher.
                            "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Yay! Ravens #2 and Texans aren't last! Yay!

Baltimore: 7-4

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information