Best Defense in 2008-09

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boston View Post
    Damn. I wish our star players aged backwards.
    How easily you have forgotten Brett Favre

Comment

I like what the Jets D is going to accomplish if Jenkins is healthy, he's going to plug up that middle and free up guys like Gholston and Pace to get after the QB, Revis should take that next jump towards being a lockdown guy, and Rhodes is still the playmaker back there...Jenkins probably wont get much credit, but if he is healthy that defense is going to be good and he will be a big reason why.

I really wanted Dallas to give up something to bring him in.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
        I'm not ready to say the Vikes will jump all the way to the league's best defense. Too big a jump imo, even with Leslie Frazier at work and the addition of Jared Allen.

I'd sooner pick the Colts to repeat, homer pick or not. They dealt with injury last year and still finished #1, plus the oldest guy on defense is Raheem Brock and he's only 29.
        The vikes Achilles heel was a lack of a pass rush. Allen is not only one of the best DEs in the league, but he'll also help the DEs already on the roster. Plus they're a lot better at safety.

Colts will have a good D but I don't think they're top 5 this year. If they're I didn't keep them out of bad situations as well as they did that D has some holes that would be exposed, so they may be top statistically but I don't think they'll be one of 5 best Ds on Sundays.

The jets with that line? I like Gholston's potential and the addition of pace but I don't think they're top this year. In a year when Pace is completely integrated, we see how Jenkins reacts to being the nose, they add a DE and Gholston adjusts to the NFL they'll be very good.

Comment

If Terdell Sands plays well Oakland could be up there.
          "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
            If Terdell Sands plays well Oakland could be up there.
            Not likely.

Comment

Baltimore will be in the Top 5...without a doubt...if we stay healthy.

Baltimore: 7-4

Comment

The Texans I expect will be top 5 against the run, but with our situation at CB and safety pass defense will probably keep the Texans out of the top 10.

The Eagles have a good shot if the LB's gel, the only area of concern I have with the Eagles is safety. That position may hold the team back, it all depends on Dawkins.

My top 5 defenses for 08-09:
                Minnesota Vikings, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Baltimore Ravens, San Diego Chargers

Sleeper: 49ers

Comment

I think people are sleeping on the Bears they dealt with a ton of injuries last year that really took a toll on the defense. I don't think they will return to absolute dominance, but I could easily see them being one of the top defenses in the game once again.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                    Jets are a defensive lineman and a corner away from Mangenius' fully-fledged defense imo. But they are getting there so much, things are on the upswing.
                    Yep.

Our D has the potential to be pretty scary next year.

I'm still wondering why we passed on Dre Moore in the 4th...not that Lowery won't be worth it in the end.

Comment

Chiefs Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
                      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

The absolute best defense would be hard to pick. I have to go with the Vikings though as the easiest choice to be up there for sure. The defensive line will be beastly, the LB's are very good and the secondary should be much improved.

The commonly good defenses will be up there also, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay.

I don't think the Giants' defense will be as decent as it was last year. They lost a lot of very good players, and their secondary, on paper, looks pretty bad. Aaron Ross will have one more year under him and he should be good, but Sam Madison, Cory Webster, and whoever else they have there isn't very impressive. They'll be starting a rookie safety opposite a crappy one, so their secondary doesn't look too good.

Comment

Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
                          I'm still wondering why we passed on Dre Moore in the 4th...not that Lowery won't be worth it in the end.
                          Because Dre Moore is a better prospect than actual player. All the talent in the world doesn't mean squat if you don't have the motor.

Now Red Bryant would have been a different story.
                          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

All the normals will be up there still, I think my Jets are going to be top 10 though if not higher. They still need to gel, but the defense is young and has talent.

Another thing about Kris Jenkins, he lost 30 pounds so far, Mangini said he is looking good right now. He has been on a program to lose weight he was 393 at the end of last season. Hes now 360, so a happy motivated and in shape Kris Jenkins could mean a dominant year from the big man. Maybe even probowl?? I don't care if he makes that, as long as our LB are freed up and he dominates the middle.
                            David Harris is one of the best ILB in the AFC, he might take over probowl duties from Demeco Ryans, I think he is more nasty.
                            Hopefully Vernon Gholston has a good rookie season and isn't a bust, and gets good pressure on the QB and gets sacks. Calvin Pace should be a good player for us, our secondary is good, could be better but its good, it was alright last year when we had no pass rush, now Revis is in year 2, hopefully he doesn't have a sophmore slump.

Comment

I'll follow the homer trend and say the Bengals :P

Comment

well see, at least we get some respect in the defense department...we're getting older, but ray ray and the boys still know how to bring the rain on D

now if only we could get a top 5 offense...
                                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                                The APS is strong in this one.
                                Originally posted by killxswitch
                                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information