Best Defense in 2008-09

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
    Giants opponents' score = Nine times over 30.

None of that is untrue.

You're not gonna have a top 5 defense, and that's all the argument i'm making.
    Strahan or not.
    Show me the other games where opponents scored over 30 points.

You can certainly argue we won't have a top 5 defense, just trying doing it with facts and not false statements.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
      Show me the other games where opponents scored about 30 points.
      Ah.

LOL. I apologize. I was reading the stat sheet wrong. They flip the scores around depending on a win or loss.

I'm sorry, i retract my previous statements.

Comment

I'm gonna be different and say Chicago. I think they'll return to form and surprise with another dominant defense led by Urlacher and Harris and those good edge players - the DEs and CBs. If their safeties can stay healthy and play solid that should happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
          ... based on yardage, lol. Tell me again who was #1 in scoring defense.

Steelers are like the Jags imo, they'll do a great job stopping the run, but they can be passed on. (Although in Pittsburgh's case, they were tied for last in the league in interceptions last year.)
          The Steelers had the #3 rush and pass defense last year...are you basing this off of the offseason, last year's schedule, or what?

And on the Jags note, IIRC they were better against the pass in '06 than against the run, but also IIRC they didn't have a stellar QB schedule. Things flipped around last year for multiple reasons (pass rush, Mathis' injury, Terry Cousin's regression, safety play, etc).

by BoneKrusher
          <DG> how metal unseen
          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
            ... based on yardage, lol. Tell me again who was #1 in scoring defense.

Steelers are like the Jags imo, they'll do a great job stopping the run, but they can be passed on. (Although in Pittsburgh's case, they were tied for last in the league in interceptions last year.)
            Yall allowed 7 fewer points than us. Thats just allowing one less touchdown. The average is 16.4 - Colts and 16.8 - Steelers.

And like Unseen already pointed out, we were #3 in both categories. We also allowed the fewest 1st downs. And our defense kept the opposing offense off the field the longest.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

I like seeing the Bolts get some respect, but I think they're really gonna take off next year. They only lost one regular season game once Cromartie became the starter and it was a nailbiter to Jax, in Jax. After that they didn't lose until the AFC championship game. Throw in another year under Cottrell's system, a healthy Luis Castillo, and a couple guys named Shawne/Shaun (plus a bunch of other playmakers) and we're looking at a really great squad.

Also, they finally unlocked a hidden character: Anthony Waters is coming this year. and he is a beast.

Comment

I have to go with Vikings or the G-men in all starts up front.

Comment

I don't think the Giants' defense will be as decent as it was last year. They lost a lot of very good players, and their secondary, on paper, looks pretty bad. Aaron Ross will have one more year under him and he should be good, but Sam Madison, Cory Webster, and whoever else they have there isn't very impressive. They'll be starting a rookie safety opposite a crappy one, so their secondary doesn't look too good.
                  The giants lost Gibril, Torbor and Mitchell, OH NOZ!!!1!!! We lost a backup linebacker, a jurneyman who wasn't an ideal fit but was a good stopgap and a good in the box safety. Now you may think that's a lot of good plaers but I don't. Gibril hurts but all of our safeties were better inthebox which forced Gibril to play out of position. Phillips is a rookie but first year DBs can come in and contribute, plus Knight was signed as much to help teach the young guys as he was too play. The addition of Knight and Phillips also means no more James Butler, which is a major cause for celebration, plus Thomas helps our depth at corner. Ross, Webster and Madison will start of as our top 3 but Dockery will be fighting for the nickel spot and Thomas should be a Ross clone if healthy. I think our secondary is a lot better than when we started last season.

Add to that that Kiwi's healthy again and Alford got some PT which makes our pass rush more dangerous and Wilk/Kehl finally gives us a WLB capable of helping in coverage.

I think the giants have gotten better where players have moved oj and not worse. Only real argument is gibril but he was stuck out of position a pot last year because we didn't have any safeties who were good in coverage, Butler was worthless and Johnson was very raw.

Comment

All i ever hear about the Giants' is their pass rush, and never about their secondary. Kiwanuka and Tuck aren't gonna cover T.O when he's torching them for 150 again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                      Joseph was put on IR in preaseason with "back spasms". Basically he sucked so bad that the Giants knew they were going to cut him after the 2007 season so they put him on IR with an injury that could be played through. Joseph didn't play a single down last season.
                      I was gunna say I didn't remember seeing that lazy bust on the field this past year. The year before he got PT because Strahan, Tuck and Osi went down so he got reps at DE but he's been lazy and unproductive his whole career. It's like if we cut Butler after this season and people called him a significant loss.

Comment

All i ever hear about the Giants' is their pass rush, and never about their secondary. Kiwanuka and Tuck aren't gonna cover T.O when he's torching them for 150 again.
                        Cause it's not like they won the superbowl with a worse pass rush and secondary than we have this season. Corey Webster managed to manage TO and Randy Moss in our D last year. Is he that good? Hell no but in our d he doesn't have to be.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Packers at all. Our only two older players are our starting two corners who have shown to be durable during their time with us. The rest of our defense should improve over an already terrific showing last year. Plus we added in a nickelback who, knock on wood, should be able to actually cover someone.

There's a ton of talent on the D overall. Think Kampman, Harris, Woodson, Barnett, Hawk, KGB, Pickett. Plus you look at safeties with the potential to break out, including Bigby who was a force in the last month + playoffs. And, unlike a few of the defenses that were already mentioned, we already were a top 5ish defense last year and didn't lose any key players.

Will they be the BEST? No, probably not. Will they be top 5? I'd bet on it.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatEscape View Post
                            Cause it's not like they won the superbowl with a worse pass rush and secondary than we have this season. Corey Webster managed to manage TO and Randy Moss in our D last year. Is he that good? Hell no but in our d he doesn't have to be.
                            I'm not sure what you mean by managing T.O, cause when he was healthy he was unstoppable against you all.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by managing T.O, cause when he was healthy he was unstoppable against you all.
                              Corey Webster didn't deal with TO the first two games, and in the first game when we doubled him he did nothing and Witten tore us up. Spags got better and better as the season wore on and I don't expect him to suddenly get a lot worse, especially with a more talented secondary.

Comment

You don't have to have name players in the secondary when you have a DL like that I would take a great line and average CB's over great CB's and a average line.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information