Best Defense in 2008-09

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
    Why is it being blinded by homer goggles, Madieu Williams>Dwight Smith = He will help the secondary. Also I have not once mentioned personally feeling the Vikings will have the best defense. I agree they will be definatly top 10 more likely top 5. But you have to be blind to deny the distinct potential they have to be the best defense in the league next year. So there should be no problem with people stating their personal opinion that the Vikes will be. I have no problem with you thinking they won't. I do however have a problem with you not knowing what your talking about when it comes to the impact Jared Allen will have on the Vikings defense.
    Oh Crazy Chris. They won't be the best defense next year. I am willing to bet that. And I understand the impact Jared Allen will have. And like I said they will be top 10 but I don't think they will be in the top 5 or #1.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

• When an already great defensive team improves at almost every position andgets worse in none of them they are bound to be even better. Nobody will know just how much of an impact Jared Allen will make on the Vikings D so wel will have to wait and see. My argument is it DE is not the only position that will improve next year. You are blinded by your anti-Vikings googles if you think Madieu Wiliams is not an improvement over Dwight Smith. He is no longer playing on the Bungles and should be better then last year simply by having more talent then him. Jared Allen was doubled a hell of a lot last year because there was nobody around him and now he is playing with two DT's who got doubled most of last year. Fact is you can't double all of them. Add that to the fact that the Vikings have Ray Edwards and Brian Robison, both of who had good years last year and stand to improve and the fact that they will play next to 3 of the best D-Lineman in the game makes for a scary D-Line. Add that to an underated LB corp, an up and coming CB corp with a top 15 CB in the league and a strong S corp and you have a very good defense. I do think that the Vikings will have a top 5 defense next year but we will have to wait and see just how big of a difference our new players make and just how much our young players will improve.

Comment

• Ok, I don't think any of us are gonna budge, and we all know each others opinions.

Just to point out though, when it comes to NFC, if it ain't New Orleans its the Vikings I am rooting for. I am a Steelers fan, I am bound by law to atleast enjoy watching yall play football, you pound the rock and stop the run. Come on.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

• The we shall all agree to disagree.

Comment

• You can bet that with one of the people who think they will be the best defense because I don't.

Originally posted by terribletowel39
            And before everyone jumps on me for saying the Giants have a better D-Line than the Vikes, the Vikes can stop the run. Thats it. The Giants can do both. Yes, Allen will help the Vikes in the pass rush department but if Jared Allen gets 15 and half sacks next year the Vikings will have 15 and half sacks total as a team it seems.
            Originally posted by terribletowel39
            I don't understand whats so hard to understand, they were dead last, one person isn't gonna make that big of a difference. He MIGHT improve them to middle of the pack on pass defense but thats still not gonna warrant them to be the best defense overall.

Anyways i'm not sure you really know the impact Jared Allen will have as seen above you have seemingly been trying to down play the impact through out this thread. He will make every single part of the defense better than last year. He improves the Defensive line by helping out the Young talented DE's across from him, and by taking some of the double teams our pro-bowl DTs would be normally seeing. By extension of helping the D-line this helps free up the LBs since they won't have to blitz as much as last year. Finally with the added pressure he helps the Secondary that was left out to dry many times last year by the lack of consistent pressure.

The scariest thing about the allen accuisition is that he should only get better now that he has 2 pro bowl DTs next to him.

Comment

• Jared Allen had 15.5 sacks last year in 12 games for the Chiefs, just for anyone who didnt know.
              And the reason he makes so much of a difference is because he was the only d-lineman the chiefs had and he looked pretty impressive. Now imagine he is playing next to two of the better DT in the league. Someone's gotta be doubled, and then still one of the three can bust through the line. This then helps out the secondary, because teams wont be able to send five/four guys out to catch a pass, because teams will have to keep an extra tightend or fullback to help protect. And I think Winfield is a top 10 corner in the league. The Vikes lost nothing last year and they were good, now they get a top 5 pass rusher. But who knows?

Comment

• Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
                Oh Crazy Chris. They won't be the best defense next year. I am willing to bet that. And I understand the impact Jared Allen will have. And like I said they will be top 10 but I don't think they will be in the top 5 or #1.
                As I Viking fan I kind of agree, I think we have a better shot at cracking the top 5 than you give credit to, but definitely not #1. I feel i'd probably be happier to be proven wrong though :)
                What if everyone simultaneously disobeys?
                It aint a game if no one plays, oh.

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information