Potential June 1st cuts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
    you have to remember too that cap space isn't the only reason. if you have a player making a lot of money and not living up to it, even if you have all the cap space in the world, the team might just be sick of putting money into a player not earning it and send him off.

also, if a teams looking to get younger (and typically cheaper too) they might cut loose a veteran at a position where they have a lot of promising youngsters in order to give them all a chance
    Except there's not a big reason to do that on June 1st anymore.

June 1st is the point where a cut player's cap hit gets spread over this year and next. Teams generally have a fair amount of cap room, so why not just take the hit this year and save next year's cap for next year?

Comment

Joe Horn and Keith Brooking for the falcons are possible cuts

Comment

Originally posted by Seasonticketholder View Post
        NONE of the projections by Saints fans have been correct. First of all, both Brian Young and Devery Henderson were re-signed in the off-season. The team would not have done that in order to make them a June 1st cut. Secondly, Jason David will be given every opportunity to redeem himself from last year's miserable performance. It is likely that he won't start but he'll have a good chance of making the team as a backup.

Who is Stephen Alexander? Exactly.

Some of us should just cheer for our team and leave the rest to management.
        Charger fans know exactly who Stephanie Alexander is.

Comment

LaMont Jordan
          Stuart Schweigert
          Andrew Walter
          Taking a Knapp.

Comment

Jeff Ulbrich possibly Moran Norris, Ashley Lelie, Maybe Jonas Jennings those are the only ones I can think of
            Originally posted by 49erNation85
            I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
              Jeff Ulbrich possibly Moran Norris, Ashley Lelie, Maybe Jonas Jennings those are the only ones I can think of
              We're so thin at Tackle it's pretty foolish to even mention Jennings. Lelie, Norris and Ulbrich aren't taking up much cap space, if the Niners wanted to cut those three they would've done it by now.

Comment

NO way does KGB get the axe..... he's still a talented DE pass rusher and we have plenty of cap $$$ to pay him as such.

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                  Doubt anyone would be cut for the Packers because we are about 20 million under the cap. We will possible resign our big name players instead.
                  This is the second time I've seen you post this. It's not true. The Packers are not the youngest team in the NFL.

Comment

Actually, I think they are. If not the youngest, top 3 then.
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I never got the youngest in the NFL thing. I wonder what the difference is in days between the youngest team and like the 15th youngest team. If its like a few months worth of days or if its several years. Every team has a ton of young players.

The real issue is will those young guys reach their potential(Rodgers,Harrell etc), some will like Jennings for example and most importantly can you keep them under contract. Some of the young guys might be gone via free agency/cut/injured. So many things can happen. Plus what happens when the few old guys finally stop producing(Woodson,Harris,Driver,now Favre gone).

Comment

Originally posted by BrentN View Post
                        I thought he did well last year?
                        Well, he was cut today, so I guess the Raiders coaches weren't thinking too highly of him. I always thought Stu got a rough deal because so many runners were let into his area the past few seasons, and he isn't really a run support player. But he didn't seem to be able to progress or adjust well, he just got frustrated and benched.

Since Branch was drafted, if not before that, he became nothing more than a special teams gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                          Actually, I think they are. If not the youngest, top 3 then.
                          Probably among the top three, although things could shake out differently, but KC is the youngest team in the NFL. I'd venture to say that, come September, they'll have the youngest starting offense, youngest starting defense and youngest 53-man roster.

I never got the youngest in the NFL thing. I wonder what the difference is in days between the youngest team and like the 15th youngest team. If its like a few months worth of days or if its several years. Every team has a ton of young players.
                          Not necessarily true, and the variance is significant. Not quite so much when a 53-man roster is filled out by a few kids, but especially when considering starting lineups there's a big difference between most teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyndham View Post
                            This is the second time I've seen you post this. It's not true. The Packers are not the youngest team in the NFL.
                            No, it is true.

Link

The Packers were the NFL's youngest team this season, and several of their key players are locked into long-term deals. Thompson just got a contract extension, and McCarthy is expected to sign his new deal this week.
                            Article was written before Brett retired (April 11, 2008). Can't really say anyone is the youngest team for the 08 season because everyone has to go through cuts still.

Edit: This is the best I could find for average age, just the top 5

Other Link

PACKERS ONCE AGAIN LEAGUE'S YOUNGEST TEAM
                            -Green Bay has the distinction of being the NFL's youngest team for the second straight season.

-Since taking over general manager duties in 2005, Ted Thompson has vowed to build the team's foundation through the draft. Of the 53 active roster players, 18 have been drafted by Thompson.

-Each team's average age is based upon its opening-day roster. A look at the five youngest teams in 2007:

Team: Average Age
                            Green Bay: 26 years, 89 days
                            Indianapolis: 26 years, 91 days
                            N.Y. Giants: 26 years, 190 days
                            Dallas: 26 years, 197 days
                            Carolina: 26 years, 252 days
                            - Statistics provided by Elias Sports Bureau
                            [Dated January 2, 2008]
                            Last edited by umphrey; 05-21-2008, 03:36 PM.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Wyndham View Post
                              Probably among the top three, although things could shake out differently, but KC is the youngest team in the NFL. I'd venture to say that, come September, they'll have the youngest starting offense, youngest starting defense and youngest 53-man roster.

Not necessarily true, and the variance is significant. Not quite so much when a 53-man roster is filled out by a few kids, but especially when considering starting lineups there's a big difference between most teams.
                              Actually, Geo is right and you are wrong. Packers are #1, KC #3. And if you plan on playing Boone, Edwards and Surtain, you can forget about having the youngest starting defense.

I've made an Excel document with all the ages of the NFL teams.

nfl player age.xls - 1.19MB

..........Team.............Avg

1.........Packers.........25.04
                              2.........Colts.............25.37
                              3.........Chiefs...........25.47
                              4.........Bills..............25.62
                              5.........Falcons.........25.66
                              6.........Bears............25.71
                              7.........Bengals.........25.73
                              8.........Eagles..........25.85
                              9.........Steelers........25.93
                              10.......Panthers.......25.95
                              11.......Cowboys.......26.04
                              12.......Dolphins........26.12
                              13.......Browns.........26.12
                              14.......Jaguars.........26.14
                              15.......Chargers........26.14
                              16.......Titans...........26.15
                              17.......49ers............26.16
                              18.......Raiders..........26.18
                              19.......Ravens.........26.19
                              20.......Vikings.........26.25
                              21.......Jets.............26.27
                              22.......Rams............26.35
                              23.......Texans.........26.35
                              24.......Lions............26.38
                              25.......Seahawks.....26.45
                              26.......Cardinals.......26.46
                              27.......Giants..........26.5
                              28.......Broncos........26.56
                              29.......Buccaneeers..26.58
                              30.......Redskins........26.72
                              31.......Saints...........26.8
                              32.......Patriots.........27.22

This is using the current rosters as reported by ESPN.com. Of course we can't do a true roster analysis until just before the start of the season since every team has a ton of players who won't make the opening day rosters.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                                No, it is true.

Link
                                I'm not talking about last year. That's in the books. I'm talking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information