Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams up for sale?

Sources: Rams up for sale

Though it hasn't been publicized in the wake of longtime owner Georgia Frontiere's death earlier this year, the St. Louis Rams are on the market, according to several NFL sources.

The possible sale of the franchise could have major ramifications, with a potential return of the team to Southern California hanging over any transaction. Adding intrigue to the situation: One of the prospective buyers who has had preliminary discussions with an intermediary about buying the Rams is Eddie DeBartolo, who owned the rival San Francisco 49ers from 1977 to '98.

Rams president John Shaw, who has been the de facto leader of the franchise since Frontiere moved the Rams from Anaheim to St. Louis in 1995, declined to comment on the team's potential sale.

I don't know what the exact situation is with Frontiere's estate, but I do know that the Redskins came to be owned by Dan Snyder because Jack Kent Cooke didn't have a good estate plan in place. The estate taxes from the federal and state government were so high that they would have completely bankrupted the family if they took control of the team. So, Dan Snyder bought the team, and they used those proceeds to pay the tax bill and have money left over to use for living and luxury.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

what is a realistic price for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
        what is a realistic price for them?
        "While DeBartolo said he has only a "slight" interest in purchasing the Rams, who sources say are being shopped in the $850 million to $900 million range, he conceded that part of the deal's allure would be the possibility of filling the void in the L.A. market that has existed since the Rams and Raiders left town before the '95 season."

I don't know how true that is.

Comment

Come To La!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!p lz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hmmmm the Los Angles Rams. That sounds familiar.

Instead of the Greatest Show on Turf they can be the Greatest Show in Smog

Comment

Or the greatest show that no one bothers to see.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

"I know that they are definitely in play," DeBartolo told Yahoo! Sports last week. "Georgia's kids (son Chip Rosenbloom and daughter Lucia Rodriguez) have decided to sell the team. I've talked to some people who are brokering things, and they've told me about the price and what the deal might entail."
                Chip lives in Los Angeles but is far more interested in his movie production company. Has been for some time. Lucia I don't know much about but she seems to be very much in the background.

... it appears unlikely that Stan Kroenke, a Rams minority owner, will try to buy out Frontiere's heirs and assume control of the franchise. To gain NFL approval, Kroenke would have to divest himself of his ownership interests in the NBA's Denver Nuggets and NHL's Colorado Avalanche because failing to do so would violate the NFL's cross-ownership policy (which does not allow someone with controlling ownership in an NFL franchise to own major pro sports teams who play in a different NFL city).
                He's the real wildcard. Of the three, he's the only one who genuinely seems interested in an active role with the team. He has publicly said he wants to keep the team in St. Louis. However, the Nuggets and Avs thing might just be something there is no way around.

Final note, as a resident of Los Angeles I can tell you anytime an NFL owner wants a new stadium the first thing they do is threaten a move to LA. It's a joke. It's been going on for thirteen years. Threaten to move the team, bang here's your new stadium.

Comment

I wish they came back to LA but ether way I hope we get a good owner and can make our team back to the Super Bowl

Comment

LA does not deserve another franchise. The most fickle fans on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      LA does not deserve another franchise. The most fickle fans on earth.
                      how dare you, o wait you said fickle, nevermind

Comment

if they go... I wouldn't know where... they tried LA, Las Vegas really isn't an option... Oklahoma City?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                        don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Id say Toronto if the Bills weren't going there in a couple of years anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                            Id say Toronto if the Bills weren't going there in a couple of years anyway.
                            or maybe they'll go to Utah! Salt Lake City Mormons baby!

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

900 million dollars for a franchise that's in the dumps right now? I doubt it.

And why wouldn't Las Vegas be an option? Someone's gonna have to get started there eventually, why not let it be the NFL, who owns every other professional sports league when it comes to popularity.

They could be called the Las Vegas Craps shooters.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information