No announcement yet.

Matt Ryan signs 6yr., $72 million dollar deal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If cutting him is so easy, what are the cap implications if he is cut in Year 4, 5, and 6?
    Last edited by D-Unit; 05-24-2008, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
      Of course they were! Let's make four players overpaid instead of one! We're much smarter! Not to mention average players.
      Yep, Hall,Wilson,Kelly, and Walker are all average.
      But thats more than you can say for Ryan.

No one is argueing rookies are overpaid. Its a well known fact. But paying the #3 overall pick more than any other #1 overall pick is ridiculous.It doesnt matter what happened in 06 with Williams,Bush and Young.People could argue that Bush and Young were both better prospects than Williams. Ryan isnt a better prospect than Long.Although some Falcon and BC homers may try and argue that.Not many others would.
      The fact of the matter is that the Falcons never needed to pay him that much money.They probably could have payed him more around Long or Russells contract and still could have got him into camp day one.
      "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

• Falcons sure are spending alot of money on unproven commodities, I hope for their sake it works out because it can cripple your franchise...Really I don't think anyone should complain about overpaying because each year players get paid more, that are not better, thats how things are set up now...My only thing is, you can't complain about a proven guy getting paid too much when you are shelling out almost 100 million in guys that you don't know what your getting.

I would much rather over pay for somebody who you know what you get, versus tying up all this money with the hope that he pans out...I would of much rathered spent big money on Dorsey, but its too early to criticize, in a few years we might be saying they made the right choice.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ninerfan View Post
          Thank God we finally have a rookie without the big head. Excellent move by Ryan and the Falcons - the Vick era is dead and they can move on week 1 with Ryan under centre. If only more rookies took this attitude and actually proved themselves on the NFL field before holding out for the big bucks.
          LOL.

How many rookies went from thinking of another career their Junior season to a record breaking rookie contract offer?

Matt Ryan was riding the wave of hype since this November and I don't blame him.

He didn't show up at the Senior Bowl because he knew if the scouts were drinking this kool-aid, he didn't want to do anything to mess with this magical ride that really all started against the prevent defense of Virginia Tech.

Comment

• Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
            Yep, Hall,Wilson,Kelly, and Walker are all average.
            But thats more than you can say for Ryan.

No one is argueing rookies are overpaid. Its a well known fact. But paying the #3 overall pick more than any other #1 overall pick is ridiculous.It doesnt matter what happened in 06 with Williams,Bush and Young.People could argue that Bush and Young were both better prospects than Williams. Ryan isnt a better prospect than Long.Although some Falcon and BC homers may try and argue that.Not many others would.
            The fact of the matter is that the Falcons never needed to pay him that much money.They probably could have payed him more around Long or Russells contract and still could have got him into camp day one.
            Oh they didn't? Really. Hmm. He would have still been in camp day one? Amazing. So where do you get all this info. If you really know all of this then you should be a general manager!
            Virginia Tech.
            ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
              He was expected to be the messiah of the Saints and be the biggest big play threat the NFL has seen in a number of years. So far he has averaged 3.7 yards per carry in his career and his longest run in his 312 regular season carries is 22 yards. He has had 161 regular season receptions and only four touchdowns on the bunch. He has only averaged 7.2 yards per reception in his career, 5.7 last year. 5.7 is about what you would expect his yard per carry to be, but that is 3.7. On 473 touches total for his regular season career he has only fourteen touchdowns.

I would say he has been a disappointment to date.
              Well anyone who could see through the media hype machine could see that Reggie Bush had All Americans at just about every position around him and was a better receiver than he was a RB and when he was a RB was far better off tackle than between the tackles despite the gaping holes the line created for him.

He also ran for 2 yards or 20. Very inconsistent. But at least Bush had the numbers. And least he had the 4.33 speed

Matt Ryan has received unprecedented hype for someone who is average across the board in terms of talent and production.

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information