Matt Ryan signs 6yr., $72 million dollar deal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreatEscape View Post
    I think he'll start week one unless Harrington lights it up in camp.

Joey isn't his competition. Chris Redman is.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
      Joey isn't his competition. Chris Redman is.
      never count Joey out!

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
        I guess Ryan just really wanted to get on the field asap
        I would say this is more of the teams doing, I think if you get offered the largest rookie contract in the history of the NFL, you take it. Although it is rediculous.

Comment

Thank God we finally have a rookie without the big head. Excellent move by Ryan and the Falcons - the Vick era is dead and they can move on week 1 with Ryan under centre. If only more rookies took this attitude and actually proved themselves on the NFL field before holding out for the big bucks.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

Hopefully Geo is right about the incentives deal. Thats alot of money.

But I am pretty ridiculously happy that he has signed already. I guess all things point to him starting day 1. I am loving the fact that he will not be holding out.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

A lot of money, but his progression will be helped and he should have a legit shot at starting from day one.
              Virginia Tech.
              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

This is why the old CBA had to go. The NFL needs to get their act together and implement and NBA style rookie pay scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Basileus777 View Post
                  This is why the old CBA had to go. The NFL needs to get their act together and implement and NBA style rookie pay scale.
                  the only problem is that they would have to make some concessions to the players union to get that in the new CBA and the whole reason they nixed the old one was because they felt they were already making too many monetary concessions....

Comment

Originally posted by ninerfan View Post
                    If only more rookies took this attitude and actually proved themselves on the NFL field before holding out for the big bucks.

It would have been tough for Ryan to hold out with that type of money on the table. The Falcons made it a pretty easy decision for him.
                    "If everyone liked the same thing everyone would be after your grandmother."

My Grandfather

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
                      Surprising to see a player drafted high sign before everyone else.
                      Not really. Arthur Blank just agreed to pay him as much as $72 million. What's Ryan gonna do, say "no thanks" in the hopes that St. Louis signs Chris Long to a six-year, $85 million deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyndham View Post
                        Not really. Arthur Blank just agreed to pay him as much as $72 million. What's Ryan gonna do, say "no thanks" in the hopes that St. Louis signs Chris Long to a six-year, $85 million deal?
                        i betcha chris long's eyes lit up upon seeing how much ryan just got...

albeit QBs usually get a little more at the top of the draft but you have to figure long wouldn't be too terribly upset with anything even close to that much money

Comment

The falcons are screwed.........in fact any losing team is screwed because these contracts are stupid. Rookies(and not the 1st overall pick) making more than Pro-Bowlers and Hall of Famers.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderFan View Post
                            The falcons are screwed.........in fact any losing team is screwed because these contracts are stupid. Rookies(and not the 1st overall pick) making more than Pro-Bowlers and Hall of Famers.
                            i doubt hall of famers are getting much from their old teams contracts anymore but i get your point, lol

and yeah, it is pretty stupid if you ask 99.9% of people. only the players picked in the top 5-10 and their agents would be against the rookie signing structure...problem is those same agents are the guys who have the ear of gene upshaw....

and the argument that the rookie contracts drives up the market for the veterans is bogus too. only franchise QBs like manning and big ben get booku bucks like these top rookies it seems.

and if if you think im wrong on that ask yourself this:

who will get more money, unproven rookie 4th overall pick Darren McFadden or what proven, pro-bowl RB Marion Barber just got?

thought so.

Comment

I agree we need an NBA style pay scale, but the issue is that football is a physical sport that has less of a player shelf life then other sports. I can remember hearing that avg NFL career is 4 years. So what happens to the player that gets hurt then? Do we say too bad, your young, you can bounce back? Or do we have a sick health care for those players even though they were in the league for so little time? Alot of issues comes about by having an NBA type pay scale, but I agree, these contracts are getting out of hand. I feel like it's almost a burden having a top pick, when it's actually supposed to help you. I mean it still can help a team, but comes with a huge price. I would say have a max 3-4 year rookie contract and that way it gives the team a chance to see what they have before offering a huge pay day to them. If they dont want to, then they are still young enough to go somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
                                I agree we need an NBA style pay scale, but the issue is that football is a physical sport that has less of a player shelf life then other sports. I can remember hearing that avg NFL career is 4 years. So what happens to the player that gets hurt then? Do we say too bad, your young, you can bounce back? Or do we have a sick health care for those players even though they were in the league for so little time? Alot of issues comes about by having an NBA type pay scale, but I agree, these contracts are getting out of hand. I feel like it's almost a burden having a top pick, when it's actually supposed to help you. I mean it still can help a team, but comes with a huge price. I would say have a max 3-4 year rookie contract and that way it gives the team a chance to see what they have before offering a huge pay day to them. If they dont want to, then they are still young enough to go somewhere else.
                                well my argument to the 'more physical game' point is that we don't need to give them equal money to the NBA, just less then they already are getting in the nfl.

and i also think anyone who plays in the nfl should have a lifetime insurance plan for them or something....if they have long term health problems because of their former job, they should get all the benefits of a current player imo.

the couple grand it would take to keep them healthy is pennies compared to the millions the nfl makes.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information