Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt Ryan signs 6yr., $72 million dollar deal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
    I know a fan of the Raiders is not saying this. Tommy Kelly 50 million. Javon Walker 50 million. Gibril Wilson 40 million. DeAngelo Hall 70 million, and that was the best deal of the bunch!
    So we paid a bunch of good players less money than a guy who hasnt played a down in the NFL yet. yep your argument makes alot of sense.
    "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      Had a fine rookie season and a lackluster sophomore season which was he injured in most of. Point?

      Better prospects don't always be the better NFL player. As DeAngelo pointed out below me.

      Comment


      • #63
        Al Davis is gonna look like a Genius in 2 years.
        Imagine how much players will cost next year.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
          So we paid a bunch of good players less money than a guy who hasnt played a down in the NFL yet. yep your argument makes alot of sense.
          Well, Tommy Kelly is good. That's news to me!
          Virginia Tech.
          ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

          Next Up: 2012

          Comment


          • #65
            Perhaps i was a bit harsh with what i said. But ive said all along that i wouldn't touch him or even consider him until the middle of the 1st round at best. I felt that if the Falcons took him #3 overall it would be a terrible mistake.


            While other quarterbacks have had their share of poor statistics (Eli being the posterboy of a qb who had poor stats but still won), the problems that stick out to me with Ryan have been he's never impressed me when i saw him play. Forget stats, you guys know i hate using stats unless i absolutely have to use them to validate my reasonings, when I saw Ryan play it was just unimpressive. He didn't wow me the way a top 10 pick should wow you. I was wowed when i saw Eli, Ben, Rivers, Cutler, Young, Quinn, to a lesser extent Leinart, but i didn't see anything from Ryan to make me believe he would be a franchise caliber player.

            Can he be solid? Yes i think he can, but I don't think he'll ever be franchise caliber, and top 3 picks are supposed to be more than that.

            Let's face it, the main reason why the Falcons took him wasn't necessarily for his ability, but moreso bc they needed a clean face as the future of their franchise, and they needed to unequivocally remove themselves from Michael Vick in every way possible.

            I initially felt that the Falcons couldve been a sleeper team this upcoming year, depending on the moves they could potentially make. To me, they failed miserably this offseason. They made a lot of poor decisions, from letting go of Hall, to a poor hiring of a coaching staff imo, to not maximizing investments out of all those draft picks.

            This team wasn't nearly as bad as they were perceived to be, but a lot of questionable moves this offseason leads me to believe that they got worse. Not every year is going to have a stud qb, we have to realize that. This was one of those years where teams shouldve shyed away from taking a qb early. Theres always that one team that feels compelled to take a qb early just because. Atlanta was that team this year.

            I readily admit i can be wrong though. As background, here is how ive rated the qbs from previous drafts:

            1. Eli
            2. Rivers
            3. Ben

            1. Jason Campbell
            2. Aaron Rodgers
            3. Alex Smith

            1. Jay Cutler
            2. Matt Leinart
            3. Vince Young

            1. Brady Quinn
            2. John Beck
            3. Trent Edwards
            4. JaMarcus Russell
            5. Troy Smith

            1. Joe Flacco
            2. Andre Smith
            3. Matt Ryan
            4. Brian Brohm
            5. Chad Henne

            take it for what its worth.
            Last edited by bigbluedefense; 05-20-2008, 08:17 PM.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
              Well, Tommy Kelly is good. That's news to me!
              Its news to you because youve never watched him play.
              Either way hes better Ryan and he costs less to.
              Last edited by doingthisinsteadofwork; 05-20-2008, 08:17 PM.
              "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

              Comment


              • #67
                Imagine how much Players will make in 2010 with inflation like this. Al Davis has foresight.

                Comment


                • #68
                  I don't understand it when the #3 draft pick is getting more than the #1 overall draft pick of the year before. And I can't think of anyone who would say that Ryan is a better talent than Jrock.

                  Oldie but a goodie.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    isnt it Andre Woodson bbd?
                    "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      Perhaps i was a bit harsh with what i said. But ive said all along that i wouldn't touch him or even consider him until the middle of the 1st round at best. I felt that if the Falcons took him #3 overall it would be a terrible mistake.


                      While other quarterbacks have had their share of poor statistics (Eli being the posterboy of a qb who had poor stats but still won), the problems that stick out to me with Ryan have been he's never impressed me when i saw him play. Forget stats, you guys know i hate using stats unless i absolutely have to use them to validate my reasonings, when I saw Ryan play it was just unimpressive. He didn't wow me the way a top 10 pick should wow you. I was wowed when i saw Eli, Ben, Rivers, Cutler, Young, Quinn, to a lesser extent Leinart, but i didn't see anything from Ryan to make me believe he would be a franchise caliber player.

                      Can he be solid? Yes i think he can, but I don't think he'll ever be franchise caliber, and top 3 picks are supposed to be more than that.

                      Let's face it, the main reason why the Falcons took him wasn't necessarily for his ability, but moreso bc they needed a clean face as the future of their franchise, and they needed to unequivocally remove themselves from Michael Vick in every way possible.

                      I initially felt that the Falcons couldve been a sleeper team this upcoming year, depending on the moves they could potentially make. To me, they failed miserably this offseason. They made a lot of poor decisions, from letting go of Hall, to a poor hiring of a coaching staff imo, to not maximizing investments out of all those draft picks.

                      This team wasn't nearly as bad as they were perceived to be, but a lot of questionable moves this offseason leads me to believe that they got worse. Not every year is going to have a stud qb, we have to realize that. This was one of those years where teams shouldve shyed away from taking a qb early. Theres always that one team that feels compelled to take a qb early just because. Atlanta was that team this year.

                      I readily admit i can be wrong though. As background, here is how ive rated the qbs from previous drafts:

                      1. Eli
                      2. Rivers
                      3. Ben

                      1. Jason Campbell
                      2. Aaron Rodgers
                      3. Alex Smith

                      1. Jay Cutler
                      2. Matt Leinart
                      3. Vince Young

                      1. Brady Quinn
                      2. John Beck
                      3. Trent Edwards
                      4. JaMarcus Russell
                      5. Troy Smith

                      1. Joe Flacco
                      2. Andre Smith
                      3. Matt Ryan
                      4. Brian Brohm
                      5. Chad Henne

                      take it for what its worth.
                      We could have put some bandaids on things and been decent next year. But then Brooking, Coleman, Horn, Milloy, Crumpler, and the rest of the aging team would have been done. We have built for the future, not put on bandaids.

                      And credibility is sapped when a fake QB is number two on your list.
                      Virginia Tech.
                      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                      Next Up: 2012

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
                        I don't understand it when the #3 draft pick is getting more than the #1 overall draft pick of the year before. And I can't think of anyone who would say that Ryan is a better talent than Jrock.
                        Who said that? Ryan may very well have a better career. Talent is not all of the equation. Surroundings and intangibles, yes intangibles, have a lot to do with it.
                        Virginia Tech.
                        ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                        Next Up: 2012

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
                          I don't understand it when the #3 draft pick is getting more than the #1 overall draft pick of the year before. And I can't think of anyone who would say that Ryan is a better talent than Jrock.
                          Yeah but apparently hes a very smart QB despite the fact that he threw 19 ints in his final year.
                          "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
                            Yeah but apparently hes a very smart QB despite the fact that he threw 19 ints in his final year.
                            oh, now we're going to hear about how bad his supporting cast was. wait, let me get my popcorn and watch this unfold...

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
                              Yeah but apparently hes a very smart QB despite the fact that he threw 19 ints in his final year.
                              Smart and cocky are not the same thing. Ryan had too much confidence in his arm and attempted to make a ton of plays due to a bad team around him.

                              Oh, and he threw the ball like 50 times a game, second most in the nation. Same pass to interception ratio as John David Booty. Hmm, don't hear Booty is a pick prone QB much.
                              Virginia Tech.
                              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                              Next Up: 2012

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                                oh, now we're going to hear about how bad his supporting cast was. wait, let me get my popcorn and watch this unfold...
                                Was it good?
                                Virginia Tech.
                                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                                Next Up: 2012

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information