Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt Ryan signs 6yr., $72 million dollar deal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It sure helps on Russells part to have 2 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick at WR to throw to (one of the WRs who ended up having nearly 1000 yards as a rookie).

    "He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

    Comment


    • Originally posted by RaiderFan View Post
      Thats because you didn't watch his college career when he orchestrated 8 Comebacks. I think a lot of people ignore the fact that Lane kiffin was the QB coach at USC. When they produced talents like Palmer,lienart, and booty(the good years). Kiffin has a proven track record of developing QB's, so Russell is going to a better coaching Situation, stronger arm, Higher accuracy,mobile, better run game, and so far has proven to be a hard worker. Its kind of Ridiculous people are trying to tear down Russell with rumors and biased stats to make Ryan look legit. The fact is Russell looks legit without all the BS, and Ryan is a Questionable draft choice. Add on top this silly contract and Ryan supporters really have it rough. Hang in there.
      I understand people will defend Ryan tooth and nail, thats fine. But Russell is Far better IMO.
      To be honest, I don't like either of them. Ryan has Joey Harrington written all over him, and Russell. Well, Russell reminds me of Peter Patrelli from Heroes, supremely gifted, and the only thing that keeps him from dominating every one is the fact that he's got the intelligence of a box of rocks.

      Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
      The Destroyer Is Manifest!
      I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

      Comment


      • Joey Harrington. Really? I would hope that his leadership and confidence would deter him from becoming Harrinson.

        "He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

        Comment


        • Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
          Joey Harrington. Really? I would hope that his leadership and confidence would deter him from becoming Harrinson.
          What do you think Harrington's main selling points coming out of college was? He wasn't a great talent. He wasn't terrible at anything, but he wasn't exceptional in anything either. However, he just oozed intangibles and leadership out of every orifice.

          Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
          The Destroyer Is Manifest!
          I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

          Comment


          • Brett Farve, Terry Bradshaw, Eli manning and the Majority of players from the south or carry a heavey accent are thought to be stupid, by people that aren't from the south.
            I simply don't understand why people keep insulting Russell's intelligence because when he gets on the field against these proper speaking QB's he usually shows them up. Stereo typical statements breed ignorance. He scored a 24 on the Wonderlic which is slightly above average for QB's.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by RaiderFan View Post
              Brett Farve, Terry Bradshaw, Eli manning and the Majority of players from the south or carry a heavey accent are thought to be stupid, by people that aren't from the south.
              I simply don't understand why people keep insulting Russell's intelligence because when he gets on the field against these proper speaking QB's he usually shows them up. Stereo typical statements breed ignorance. He scored a 24 on the Wonderlic which is slightly above average for QB's.
              It's not a matter of how he talks. I spent a good chunk of my life in the south. It's a matter of his decision making. He plays too loose with the ball. He doesn't secure the ball, and makes some boneheaded throws. That'll likely calm down if the Raiders can get a good O-Line, but it's tough to fix things like that for QBs.

              Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
              The Destroyer Is Manifest!
              I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DragonFireKai View Post
                What do you think Harrington's main selling points coming out of college was? He wasn't a great talent. He wasn't terrible at anything, but he wasn't exceptional in anything either. However, he just oozed intangibles and leadership out of every orifice.
                This is true. Maybe with Harrington on the team he can see all that he doesnt need to become.

                "He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

                Comment


                • 72 million. That is an insane deal for a player who has never played a down. No wonder the owners are opting out of the CBA. The rookie wage scale is just crazy.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by DragonFireKai View Post
                    It's not a matter of how he talks. I spent a good chunk of my life in the south. It's a matter of his decision making. He plays too loose with the ball. He doesn't secure the ball, and makes some boneheaded throws. That'll likely calm down if the Raiders can get a good O-Line, but it's tough to fix things like that for QBs.
                    they'll need to fix it fast too, otherwise JR might end up like David Carr 2.0.

                    Sig by Fenikz

                    I remember NFLDC
                    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

                    Comment


                    • The way to go with the rookie payments just might be a bonus at the start of their carreer to reward them for being drafted as high as they are drafted. Would create a buffer if they got hurt as well. Maybe the proper wages would then go done a nice bit.


                      Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                      - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                      - Corner or Wideout in the first
                      - No reaching
                      - No Kelvin Benjamin

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Basileus777 View Post
                        You would have to have short contracts with a pay scale. You could give rookies a 3 year deal and then they become RFAs. You'd have to get rid of poison pills too. The players would benefit by becoming free agents sooner, and while first round picks might earn less, other players who've earned the money would benefit.
                        Yeah that would be the only way.. 3-4 year deals, and then if you like what you see you invest long term. So teams who are stingy with money basically re-cycle players that way. Rent a player for 3-4 years, hope you win a superbowl then, if not, and he wants tons of money, let him go, get a comp pick, and draft more young players.

                        If your a rich franchise i guess you'd be the buyer trying to get all these guys in free agency. But something has to be done when unproven guys get more than proven guys. That's a messed up system, and it makes proven players even more mad, when they are in free agency or want to re-sign, because they point to that rookie contract and say Iam proven so pay me that.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
                          Yeah that would be the only way.. 3-4 year deals, and then if you like what you see you invest long term. So teams who are stingy with money basically re-cycle players that way. Rent a player for 3-4 years, hope you win a superbowl then, if not, and he wants tons of money, let him go, get a comp pick, and draft more young players.

                          If your a rich franchise i guess you'd be the buyer trying to get all these guys in free agency. But something has to be done when unproven guys get more than proven guys. That's a messed up system, and it makes proven players even more mad, when they are in free agency or want to re-sign, because they point to that rookie contract and say Iam proven so pay me that.
                          but teams won't "pay them that."

                          in fact, from things ive read on the subject, not even agents really try to use rookie contracts in veteran negotiations.

                          i believe PFT pointed out a piece by chris cooley in his blog where he was talking about that. its like everyone realizes those rookie contracts are asinine as all hell except for the rookies drafted that high, their agents, and most imporantly, gene upshaw.

                          that .0001% of people involved in the nfl are the ones keeping it that way it seems

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                            but teams won't "pay them that."

                            in fact, from things ive read on the subject, not even agents really try to use rookie contracts in veteran negotiations.

                            i believe PFT pointed out a piece by chris cooley in his blog where he was talking about that. its like everyone realizes those rookie contracts are asinine as all hell except for the rookies drafted that high, their agents, and most imporantly, gene upshaw.

                            that .0001% of people involved in the nfl are the ones keeping it that way it seems
                            the agents essentially control Upshaw, and he "represents" the players when talking about contracts. It's sad when you think of it.

                            Sig by Fenikz

                            I remember NFLDC
                            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                              I can see that. What's lost is his great escape ability. Might be one of his best assests.




                              Everyone seems to buy that put the team on his shoulders thing. I've never been one to support that, but it's what has been said.
                              Lol, ironic that I was reading the old draft thread and we argued over that aspect of his game.
                              Virginia Tech.
                              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                              Next Up: 2012

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
                                excuses, excuses. 19 ints is unacceptable.
                                That is called ignoring the facts.

                                FACT: Matt Ryan's pass to interception ratio was on par with the rest of the class.

                                FACT: Matt Ryan threw an interception 2.9 percent of the time, where as JaMarcus Russell did so 2.4 percent of the time.

                                Yet people act like he throws a million interceptions. He threw the ball like 650 times last year. Yes, he is going to throw some interceptions, especially with the lack of talent on his team.
                                Virginia Tech.
                                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                                Next Up: 2012

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information