Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cowboys Sign Barber, Newman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
    But Michael Turner has right?
    There comes 'game breaking ability'. Which was in the first part of my post. Turner has the potential to be a gamebreaking back. Barber lacks the tools to do that, and has not shown ability to carry the ball 30 times a game.
    Virginia Tech.
    ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

    Next Up: 2012

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
      There comes 'game breaking ability'. Which was in the first part of my post. Turner has the potential to be a gamebreaking back. Barber lacks the tools to do that, and has not shown ability to carry the ball 30 times a game.
      When has Turner shown this ability? Because his contract was 6 years 35 million, with 15 million guaranteed, while Barbers was 7 years, 45 million and 16 million guaranteed...Who has proved more in their career?


      As far as Barber not being a 'gamebreaking back', how do you classify that? Edgerrin James was never consistently knocking out 80 yd runs, but I don't think that means he isn't or wasn't a good NFL back...He hasn't had a run over 45 yds since his rookie year, does that mean he also wasn't worth the money, or not a 'gamebreaker'?





      Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
        When has Turner shown this ability? Because his contract was 6 years 35 million, with 15 million guaranteed, while Barbers was 7 years, 45 million and 16 million guaranteed...Who has proved more in their career?


        As far as Barber not being a 'gamebreaking back', how do you classify that? Edgerrin James was never consistently knocking out 80 yd runs, but I don't think that means he isn't or wasn't a good NFL back...He hasn't had a run over 45 yd since his rookie year, does that mean he also wasn't worth the money, or not a good back?
        Okay, so Barber has more potential than a guy who is 5'10" 240 and can run with PacMan Jones?

        http://youtube.com/watch?v=j6aPPuuPeCc (2:20)

        I'm not saying he produced like Barber. He produced as a backup, but not like Barber. But he has way more potential. Barber has shown his tricks.

        Edge was a gamebreaking back until he tore up his knee. Not to mention he was a consistent 1,500 yard rusher when he got his contracts, and Barber hasn't hit 1,000.

        Let me reiterate (spelling). Barber is not a potential gamebreaker (Turner) or a guy who has shown he can handle 25-35 carries a game when needed (Edge).
        Virginia Tech.
        ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

        Next Up: 2012

        Comment


        • #34
          Ok I get it, Barber isn't worth 16 million guaranteed because he's not your cup of tea, but a guy who has spelled the best Rb in the game his entire career is worth 15 million, makes sense.


          If thats your only basis for disagreement I guess so...Everyone gets so caught up in the '30 carries a game' stuff now, how many Rb's still do that? And do you think those are the only Rb's who will demand top dollar? I would prefer my guy gets his 20 carries a game and not be ran into the ground the same way LJ has, but thats just me...I also would feel alot better about giving a guy this type a money who we have seen for 3 years, hasn't been hurt yet, and produced every chance he had the opportunity more so then a guy who made a living off of defenses that LT ran through.

          And you also called Edge a 'gamebreaking back', and I pointed out he hasn't had a rush over 45 yds in about 8 years now, so what is making Edge a gamebreaker, the fact that he can carry the ball 30 times a game or what?





          Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
            Ok I get it, Barber isn't worth 16 million guaranteed because he's not your cup of tea, but a guy who has spelled the best Rb in the game his entire career is worth 15 million, makes sense.


            If thats your only basis for disagreement I guess so...Everyone gets so caught up in the '30 carries a game' stuff now, how many Rb's still do that? And do you think those are the only Rb's who will demand top dollar? I would prefer my guy gets his 20 carries a game and not be ran into the ground the same way LJ has, but thats just me...I also would feel alot better about giving a guy this type a money who we have seen for 3 years, hasn't been hurt yet, and produced every chance he had the opportunity more so then a guy who made a living off of defenses that LT ran through.

            And you also called Edge a 'gamebreaking back', and I pointed out he hasn't had a rush over 45 yds in about 8 years now, so what is making Edge a gamebreaker, the fact that he can carry the ball 30 times a game or what?
            You must have problems reading. I said he was a gamebreaker until he blew his knee out. He blew his knee out in his third season. I also said

            Let me reiterate (spelling). Barber is not a potential gamebreaker (Turner) or a guy who has shown he can handle 25-35 carries a game when needed (Edge).
            I did not say both. I said or. He can handle the load.
            Virginia Tech.
            ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

            Next Up: 2012

            Comment


            • #36
              Does Turner have the potential to score double digit TD's while averaging about 5 ypc?

              Barber did. Twice.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
                Does Turner have the potential to score double digit TD's while averaging about 5 ypc?

                Barber did. Twice.
                Umm, yes? Did you not hear the 5'10" 240 4.4 part? He has the potential to do it all. The question is will he hold up, will he be as physical when getting carries all throughout the game, will he have that speed in the fourth quarter on his 25th carry.
                Virginia Tech.
                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                Next Up: 2012

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                  You must have problems reading. I said he was a gamebreaker until he blew his knee out. He blew his knee out in his third season.
                  I guess you can't have a debate without throwing out coy remarks...Maybe you are the one having problems reading, I specifically asked you WHAT made Edge a gamebreaking back, don't just say "he was a gamebreaking back before he blew out his knee", because I alread pointed out to you that long runs are not his forte, and this was BEFORE he blew his knee out...And the Cardinals didn't have a problem paying top dollar for a back with alot of miles that already blew his knee out, but I guess that deal was ok too.





                  Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                    Umm, yes? Did you not hear the 5'10" 240 4.4 part? He has the potential to do it all. The question is will he hold up, will he be as physical when getting carries all throughout the game, will he have that speed in the fourth quarter on his 25th carry.
                    It's a 2 back league. Turner himself is going to be in a 2 back system.

                    Who cares if someone has gamebreaking speed? Honestly, how many 50+ yard runs do the fastest backs get in a season? How many did LT have last year? 2, maybe 3?

                    People act like the guy is a snail. I bet if you go look at who had the most runs over 20+ yards last year, Barber is in the top 5, if not top 3. He had bigger runs than guys faster than him due to his vision.

                    To even put turner on a level close to Barber is a joke. Barber is proven and Turner is not. Turner has had injury problems too, whereas Barber and his "out of control" running style hasn't missed a snap.

                    Who cares if he can tote the rock 25-30 times a game. Felix Jones insures that he can keep it between 15-20, which is a great strategy.

                    People love to hate, but they're being blind.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by PackerLegend View Post
                      A great deal for the 49ers and crappy deal for Gore. You just wait deals like this have a trickle down effect and since Barber is getting this much Gore will think he should be getting more and in all likely hood will at some point.

                      Gore got 14 mil guaranteed, I'm sure he can manage to work with that.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        The Falcons overpaid for Turner and the Cowboys overpaid for Barber. I think that should settle you guys' argument

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                          It's a 2 back league. Turner himself is going to be in a 2 back system.

                          Who cares if someone has gamebreaking speed? Honestly, how many 50+ yard runs do the fastest backs get in a season? How many did LT have last year? 2, maybe 3?

                          People act like the guy is a snail. I bet if you go look at who had the most runs over 20+ yards last year, Barber is in the top 5, if not top 3. He had bigger runs than guys faster than him due to his vision.

                          To even put turner on a level close to Barber is a joke. Barber is proven and Turner is not. Turner has had injury problems too, whereas Barber and his "out of control" running style hasn't missed a snap.

                          Who cares if he can tote the rock 25-30 times a game. Felix Jones insures that he can keep it between 15-20, which is a great strategy.

                          People love to hate, but they're being blind.
                          Barber was seventh in runs over 20 last year, tied with five others.

                          If I'm not getting A.) a gamebreaker, or B.) a lead ballcarrier, then I'm not shelling out that cash.


                          I guess you can't have a debate without throwing out coy remarks...Maybe you are the one having problems reading, I specifically asked you WHAT made Edge a gamebreaking back, don't just say "he was a gamebreaking back before he blew out his knee", because I alread pointed out to you that long runs are not his forte, and this was BEFORE he blew his knee out...And the Cardinals didn't have a problem paying top dollar for a back with alot of miles that already blew his knee out, but I guess that deal was ok too.
                          And you also called Edge a 'gamebreaking back', and I pointed out he hasn't had a rush over 45 yds in about 8 years now, so what is making Edge a gamebreaker, the fact that he can carry the ball 30 times a game or what?
                          Here you said what is making him a gamebreaker. That is present tense. His rookie year was past tense. I never said he was a gamebreaker now. I said he can be a lead ball carrier. Those are two different things. You sound rediculous. They didn't have a problem doing it because he, after that injury, had proved himself durable by averaging over 1,200 yards rushing over the next four seasons, consistently handling 300 carries a year.

                          because I alread pointed out to you that long runs are not his forte, and this was BEFORE he blew his knee out...
                          You pointed it out? If you did, then you did so very poorly. Let's see. Was it the long run of 72 yards? The nine runs over 20 yards, good for fourth in the NFL that year? Or the four runs over forty yards, tied for first in the league that year and would have been second this year? Which one was it? His second year. Let's see. He again had nine runs over 20 yards, good for seventh in the league. Not quite as explosive, but not bad for a guy who is 6'0" 220 and runs a 4.4. He also had two catches over 40 yards in 2000, and one for over 40 in 1999.
                          Virginia Tech.
                          ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                          Next Up: 2012

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Doesn't it seem like Dallas has too many big names in their secondary right now with Newman, Jones, Jenkins, Henry, Williams, and Hamlin. All those guys except Hamlin I think are on long term deals too.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                              Doesn't it seem like Dallas has too many big names in their secondary right now with Newman, Jones, Jenkins, Henry, Williams, and Hamlin. All those guys except Hamlin I think are on long term deals too.
                              Apparently a long term deal for Hamlin was almost finished on the same day as Barber and Newman but they couldn't get it done, so look for that to come soon.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information