X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboys Sign Barber, Newman

BARBER, ĎBOYS DO A DEAL
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2008, 3:48 p.m. EDT
    A league source tells us that the Dallas Cowboys and running back Marion Barber have reached agreement on a long-term contract.

Per the source, itís a seven-year deal worth a total of $45 million. The package includes $16 million in guaranteed bonuses, and will pay out $21 million over the first three years.

The better news for Barber is that heíll have every opportunity to earn all of that money, since the Cowboys remain committed to using a two-back approach, which will help to extend Barberís career well into the next decade by limiting the physical punishment that he takes.

COWBOYS EXTEND NEWMAN
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2008, 2:43 p.m. EDT
    The Dallas Cowboys have reached an agreement with cornerback Terence Newman on a long-term extension.

Per Adam Schefter of NFL Network, itís a six-year extension, and itís worth $50.2 million, with $22.5 million in guaranteed money.

Newman, 29, was a first-round pick in 2003. He was due to become an unrestricted free agent in 2009

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Great deal for TNew, he's a top 5 corner and this is probably a discount for him-even at that age.
    Barber, though... I absolutely love the guy, but I'm not sure about this. It's a ton of money for a part-time runner.
    Of course, It's no coincidence that this is being done today to take advantage of the CBA situation, and I wouldn't rule out Stephen Jones having found some way to lump a ton of that money into 2010.

Comment

Alot of money to shell out in one day, but can't say i'm unhappy...I thought T-New would be tagged honestly, I would of rather signed Hamlin first, but if both are signed I could care less, we are just alot weaker at safety now.

And Barber's deal is no surprise, the bigger surprise was people acting like this deal wouldn't get done in the 1st place, hopefully this gets Barber into OTA's and working with Felix Jones.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I don't want to rain on a parade, but the 'boys overpaid for Barber imo. I love watching the guy, I do, but I wouldn't have given him that money personally.

Especially when they just drafted Tashard Choice and Felix Jones.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

tough blow for Dallas' bank account, but given the players they re-signed, it'll pay itself back. Solid moves.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
            I don't want to rain on a parade, but the 'boys overpaid for Barber imo. I love watching the guy, I do, but I wouldn't have given him that money personally.

Especially when they just drafted Tashard Choice and Felix Jones.
            Maybe so, but when you look around the league and consider that Reggie Bush makes more money, who is also a part time back that does alot less, you could argue its fitting, granted Bush was a #2 pick on a rookie contract but the money is all the same...I mean, we all know that every off seasn contracts go up, I don't care WHO it is, guys are getting bigger contracts then they would have even a few years ago.

Ahman Green signed a 23 million dollar deal not that long ago, and everyone knew he couldnt even finish 16 games, I think he earned the deal with everything he's done, and if he rushes 18-20 times, picks up TD's the way he does, and catches as well as he does out of the backfield its worth it.

Comment

thats a lot of money but im glad we have both guys tied up now

Comment

Great moves, i dont really feel they overpaid for Barber, as he is a core part of that team. And they got a great price on Newman as well, very solid offseason for the Boys.

Comment

Ouuucchhhhhhh...

A lot of dough getting thrown around. Just scares me to think that we might not have any left for Hammy..

Comment

Alot of money but damn these guys are gonna give it a shake this year

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

Somebody isn't gonna get re-signed, might as well face that fact right now as much as I don't want to...Personally I felt we should of waited for Newman's deal at the end of this year, because if Pacman pans out, Jenkins plays like a 1st rd pick and Scandrick shows some potential those are 3 young guys waiting in the wings...While if we let Hamlin go we have nothing at either safety spot, and if we can't resign Canty(who I have been praying we keep) we have a huge hole at DE...Then along with that its obvious we need to bring TO back, so something has got to give at some point...Not unhappy about Newman's deal, I would of just rathered waited on him.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        Somebody isn't gonna get re-signed, might as well face that fact right now as much as I don't want to...Personally I felt we should of waited for Newman's deal at the end of this year, because if Pacman pans out, Jenkins plays like a 1st rd pick and Scandrick shows some potential those are 3 young guys waiting in the wings...While if we let Hamlin go we have nothing at either safety spot, and if we can't resign Canty(who I have been praying we keep) we have a huge hole at DE...Then along with that its obvious we need to bring TO back, so something has got to give at some point...Not unhappy about Newman's deal, I would of just rathered waited on him.
                        I think the coaching staff is well aware that we cannot afford to let Canty or Hamlin leave. I think in the end, the odd-man out is Terrell Owens.

Comment

Holy Crapola!
                          my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                          <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                          <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                          <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                          Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                          What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

are you kidding?

T.O. the odd man out?

Then our offense will be the odd man out next year. We can't do anything without him.

I think Hamlin, if anyone, is the odd man out.

Canty was a draft pick, and for whatever reason, Jerry loves guy who started in Dallas. He is also 1 of only 2 good D-lineman that we have.

T.O. is a walking publicity stunt and he scores 15 td's a year. How in the world would Jerry Jones let this guy go. It is everything he could ask for.

I could see all 3 of them getting done. Canty isn't going to get as much as everyone thinks because he isn't on anyones radar. The guy is probably unknown to most people on these boards.

Hamlin will get fair market value, which is skewed from that idiot Al Davis giving Gibril Wilson too much money.

and T.O. is going to get paid like a 34 year old receiver who recently said he probably only has 3 years left in the league.

Comment

Barber's deal makes me feel bad about the deal we gave Frank Gore...5 years 25 mil.

Gore deserves to make more than Barber, but I'm sure alot of RB's will get paid more than him...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information