So like...Vince Young considered retirement last year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
    Add in the fact that hes not very good and he could have a legitimate reason to quit.

In all seriousness though itd be dumb to quit that early.He still has alot of potential and could be a great QB.If he works hard he could be glad he stayed in the NFL.
    Ah come on now! He's had a hall of fame career!

This is pretty natural I think for a lot of guys. Even younger guys. There are guys who contemplate retiring after a game for various reasons, but it's the fact they want to continue to get better and win that allows them to keep playing.

Difficult to explain, but this doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
    (shameless self-promotion)
    Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

if you play a sport long enough and you have personal issues going on, the thought of leaving crosses your mind.

bonekrusher
      The Twitters
      themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
        if you play a sport long enough and you have personal issues going on, the thought of leaving crosses your mind.
        Exactly. These guys are all human and have human issues to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
          Ding, ding, ding. I don't see why some people don't get that.
          The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
            yea...but not after two seasons in the bigs...

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
              It's ok. Even if he does retire we still have the immortal Kerry Collins.
              I'm still vaguely dissapointed that Duncan McLeod couldn't come up with a better made-up name.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                Its not so much that he had the thought as much as he said it publicly. The fact that he did say it aloud to the press says that it wasn't a fleeting thought that it went way further than that. If I were a Titans/Vince Young fan I would reserve the right to be worried.
                Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
                oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

"Retirement" I think is a poorly chosen word. I'm sure plenty of young QB's who go from being on top of the world in college to a reality check in the NFL ponder if they have what it takes, and if they can stand the pressure, particularly during an offseason where there is a lot of time to think. Yes, technically it's 'comtemplating retirement', but it isn't in the same sense an aging player does. I think it's more 'having second thoughts' and 'questioning his own abilities'.

Also, you'll notice Young himself didn't say the word "retirement" in the article, he just agreed with the notion he was having a hard time adjusting to the life of a top 3 chosen NFL QB. He isn't the best interviewing football player and he dangerously mixes that with a reasonably open/frank nature. I'd say most young QB's with similar pressure give their futures a long hard think, but most wouldn't care to admit it. Vince especially because from a passing standpoint - i.e. the aspect to QB'ing that takes the biggest leap from college to the pros - he wasn't ready to start in 06 and I'm sure it was quite a shock for a guy so used to natural ability prevailing, which it did anyway on some occasions.

Anyway, it didn't eventuate and the fact he openly talks about it now IMO is actually probably a good sign as it suggests he has left those feelings behind him and is maturing, which is something he definitely needs to do.
                  Last edited by OzTitan; 05-24-2008, 05:56 AM.

Comment

sounds like a mild case of depression
                    Now the only ones I take are the ones that I wear
                    Ain't takin no shorts no more

Comment

Originally posted by Cunningham View Post
                      sounds like a mild case of depression
                      Possibly. Also, keep in mind this is around the time his father came back into his life after 20 years of absence, and Vince turned him down until he could think it through. He had a troubled up bringing without a father figure, and something like this may just have been one thing too many for an already swamped state of mind coming off a rookie season where I'm sure he was somewhat humbled by the level of play in the NFL.

Comment

Talk about the ultimate Madden curse

Comment

All things considered, he still owes a lot to the Tennessee Titans organization. To completely leave them hanging dry would be just as drastic as Michael Vick going to jail. The damage it would do to the organization would be horrible. Granted, it wouldn't be as big as a P.R hit as the Vick situation, but he'd essentially be setting that organization back about 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                            The damage it would do to the organization would be horrible.
                            I can see him wanting to retire they refuse to give him any help on the offensive side.

Comment

Originally posted by Hwoarang View Post
                              I can see him wanting to retire they refuse to give him any help on the offensive side.
                              I highly doubt that. If he was worrying about getting help on offense, he wouldn't be considering ending his career. If he retires because he doesn't wanna play for the Titans, that would be the stupidest thing he could ever do. I mean, he got a 12 on the Wonderlic, so i wouldn't put it past him.

Comment

not sure why he'd make this sort of information public. Doesn't make his teammates think any higher of him. These are the types of things that people need to just keep to themself. Most people i'm sure consider it, with all the work they need to put in, but come on, everyone does it, and for much less. You would have to be some sort of idiot to walk away this early. You can retire when u have enough to live off, but he would basically be taking advantage of the system. Plus, i don't see him being smart enough to invest wisely and not spend outside his means.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                                You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information