No announcement yet.

Sal Paolantonio rips Jeff Fisher and Marvin Lewis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Fisher is a little overrated. A lot of the time the perception seems to be Fisher's team "over achieves", but the reality is he just has a football philosophy more akin to times past, where you won't see a 4000y passer, a flashy WR, etc. You know, stuff mainstream media seems to associate with individual success. He also seems to like (or has just only managed to produce) RB groups which are spearheaded by a powerback. A good overall run game, but not usually built for top end NFL individual rushing success, unless he manages to bring in a powerback with good all round ability (like Eddie).

Basically, the way Fisher likes to run his team is no longer perceived as an "elite" team in the NFL anymore, but they still definitely can be. It seems these days no highlight plays but winning = over achieving, and this more or less summarizes the Jeff Fisher Titans during their good seasons. So he is in turn perceived as an elite coach without elite talent, but I think the reality is he's an above average coach.

As for why he has stayed on so long, probably because Bud wants a ring and see's starting new with a HC as counter productive. When Fisher was on the hot seat in recent seasons, he had Floyd Reese's butchering of the salary cap management to excuse him plus the market for HC's weren't that great. I'm sure if a definite upgrade was available Bud may have been tempted. To Fisher's credit though, his moderate success and very good player relations have played a role in his long tenure as well. I just agree he is perhaps a little overrated by the NFL media and fans in general.

Comment

"Sal Paolantonio"? Isn't that the catcher for the Texas Rangers?

Comment

Fisher, who rode Buddy Ryan's coattails to the NFL
        that's pretty funny

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by JT Jag View Post
          "Sal Paolantonio"? Isn't that the catcher for the Texas Rangers?
          Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

But pretty close.

Comment

My first post on this board was actually calling Jeff Fisher the most overrated coach in the NFL. After seeing the job that he's done with that team in the past few years, though, I have to say that I think he's a great, great coach.

Comment

I think Fisher may be overrated by some, but Sal's article has some weak examples and very important facts omitted. But hey, the media often times goes overboard because it's good for business.

I have some gripes about his loyalty to vets, but overall I believe he's an above average coach.

Comment

This is coming from a guy who says Barry Sanders is overrated http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...sal&id=3055421 Anyone who went to a Superbowl with Steve McNair's overrated ass is a great coach in my book.

Comment

Who thinks Lewis is a good head coach? Hard to be overrated when everyone thinks you should be canned. He's rated right where he should be.

Fisher is a great coach, though his latest drafts have been poor. (not sure if those were his decisions or the GMs). I don't blame him for the Pacman pick. He was right on talent, he is a way better cb than Rolle/Rogers, who were taken right after. Despite Pacman's bad character it is pretty hard to predict that he would get himself suspended for a full season. How often has that happened before? (not including drug testing)

Reaching greatly on Henry and than reaching a little on Johnson the very next season makes little sense. If your going to draft a raw talent you need to give him a chance to develop before you replace him. You should only do so for a great value, which wasn't the case with Johnson. I don't like the recent draft recently as well.

Comment

My first impression of this article is that if you try hard enough statistics can be made to say anything.

I disagree on Fisher and I'm still on the fence with Lewis. The way I see it, if your record in the NFL is above 50%, you're either going 8-8 or having up and down seasons, and have good seasons mixed in with the bad is totally normal so unless you never make the playoffs a record of .537 seems fine to me. Lewis looks like he might fall into that latter category (consistent mediocrity) but as I said, the book is still open.

As for the coordinators, very 'duh' selections. I was also disappointed LeBeau wasn't mentioned even in passing considering everything his accomplished.

Comment

Lewis is very much a hack imo.

Comment

What I think is important to remember is Marvin never had "full" control of the player selections. Mike Brown had final say until a few years ago, (year we drafted JJ.)
                        And didnt Sal publish something about Favre being overrated once?

And this coming from someone who wouldnt complain if Marvin was fired.

bonekrusher
                        The Twitters
                        themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
                          What I think is important to remember is Marvin never had "full" control of the player selections. Mike Brown had final say until a few years ago, (year we drafted JJ.)
                          And didnt Sal publish something about Favre being overrated once?

And this coming from someone who wouldnt complain if Marvin was fired.
                          yeah and 57% of the rest of the league.
                          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                          RIP themaninblack

Comment

lol, I must be the lone Coach Lewis fan.

Oh yeah, and if I was a 60+ DC like Monte Kiffin living in sunny Tampa Bay, I probably wouldn't want to leave either.
                            Doesn't matter if it is all fat, if he can move better covered in fat, more power to him. SAINTS-TIGERS

WHO DEY, ALL DEY, ERY' DEY

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                              My first post on this board was actually calling Jeff Fisher the most overrated coach in the NFL. After seeing the job that he's done with that team in the past few years, though, I have to say that I think he's a great, great coach.
                              He's a very good coach if anything, and really, are the Titans going to find a better person to do the job? I don't think so.
                              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information