No announcement yet.

Clements to SF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good for the 49ers, great signing. Possibly a bit too much, hopefully he'll be great for you guys. I wanted him in Cleveland, but we've got Steinbach, so I'll be happy for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
      Bill Polian's draft strategy of spending a 2nd round pick on a cornerback every year looks rather good right now. Wow.

The worst part is that the 49ers, in having to pay extra to lure Clements to their team, have established a ridiculous market value. You honestly think Asante Samuel is going to ask for any less when he becomes a free agent in 2008?
      Seriously. I bet Bill Belichick just had a minor stroke after seeing those numbers.
      Originally posted by njx9
      i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
        That sounds better. Peyton Manning's contract was the same in that it necessarily established market value for quarterbacks to come even though he won't see it completely through, backloaded and bonus conversions and all, but at least that was Peyton.
        Yeah, i feel a little better now.

I hope the deal is ridicolously front-loaded as well. That way dont have to bear it anymore a few years down the line.

Comment

Wow. Rollin with Nolan.

Definitly overpaid the dude....

Comment

haha i hope it pays off. literally.

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
              Yeah, i feel a little better now.

I hope the deal is ridicolously front-loaded as well. That way dont have to bear it anymore a few years down the line.
              yea, i feel alot better than my initial reaction to reading that. If I have the numbers right, it's basically a 6 year 43.5 mill contract(
              A league source tells us that, as a practical matter, it's a six-year deal worth $7.25 million per year.
              ) although, i'm not really salary cap savy.

Comment

Actually, based on the PFT report, years 6 and 7 are worth 36 mil.

In essence, this is a 6 year 44 million dollar contract. He will never see years 7 and 8.

Comment

LOL. That's move is going to cripple them.

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                    Actually, based on the PFT report, years 6 and 7 are worth 36 mil.

In essence, this is a 6 year 44 million dollar contract. He will never see years 7 and 8.

So, I'm guessing this takes about 7 mill out of our current cap right? We should have about 28 mill, or so, left.

Comment

Exactly, basically the overall number that is thrown out now is for the agent to trumpet.
                      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Hail Browns View Post
                        Possibly a bit too much.
                        You think?

Comment

btw, we also signed michael lewis from the eagles.

Comment

This is why Ive said for forever that great teams build through the draft. FA is not worth it, you overpay for talent, and in turn lose the ability to resign the developing talent you already have on your team.

Clements is not worth that money. After 2 average seasons, he gets paid that much? What a joke. Steinbach got too much too. Thomas will too.

Real teams get talent in the draft. You can get mid level FAs to fill needs, but going after the big name is usually not a smart move. In fact, even when it does pan out, its still only a short term solution, so whats the point?

Comment

Makes the Ike Taylor extension look like the deal of the century.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

um wow I hope Raiders don't have to give that to Asomugha next year
                                Taking a Knapp.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information