Clear All

Originally posted by Larry View Post
    For those who are slower:

He.
    Will.
    Not.
    See.
    $80 million.

He's making a little over 7 million a year for the first 6 years.
    7.25 x 6 = 43.5

That means he makes 37 million over the last 2 years, you really think he's going to see that money?

Don't be naive. This is a 6 year 43.5 million dollar contract.

Whatever makes you feel better dude.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMontainya View Post
      Whatever makes you feel better dude.
      The truth feels good.

by BoneKrusher
      <DG> how metal unseen
      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Too much money. Regardless if he'll ever see the full $80 million or not, he has $22 million guaranteed. The Niners probably could have drafted Leon Hall (who has the potential to be just as good as, if not better than Clements) and saved A LOT of money, which could have gone towards good, modest improvements all across the board over the next few years.

I thought Clements was overrated, but damn. $7.25 million a year (and the $22 million guaranteed) is definitely overpaying.
        The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
          ****. We so overpaid..
          Yeah Id say! You should have taken that money and went after someone like Adalius Thomas. A guy that versitle is worth more than a CB. And to make him the highest paid defensive player in history!?!?! Thats insane especially when the best CB in the league(Champ Bailey) isnt even making that much. I dont even see Clements as a top 5 CB in the league. My top 5 CBs are...

1.Champ Bailey
          2. Rashean Mathis
          3. Chris McAlister
          4. Asante Samuel
          5. DeAngelo Hall
          INDIANAPOLIS COLTS - A CHANGE IS COMING!

Comment

Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
            Too much money. Regardless if he'll ever see the full $80 million or not, he has $22 million guaranteed. The Niners probably could have drafted Leon Hall (who has the potential to be just as good as, if not better than Clements) and saved A LOT of money, which could have gone towards good, modest improvements all across the board over the next few years.

I thought Clements was overrated, but damn. $7.25 million a year (and the $22 million guaranteed) is definitely overpaying.

Well, the FO doesnt like to draft cornerbacks. I guarantee it, whether they signed clements or not, they would and will never draft a cornerback in round 1. They see it as too big a gamble.

Comment

Clements solves a need immediately. It allows the 9ers to now sure up other needs via the draft.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

Well, the FO doesnt like to draft cornerbacks. I guarantee it, whether they signed clements or not, they would and will never draft a cornerback in round 1. They see it as too big a gamble.
                Yeah, so giving the biggest defensive contract in league history to a guy who isn't even top 5 at his position isn't a gamble?

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Yeah, so giving the biggest defensive contract in league history to a guy who isn't even top 5 at his position isn't a gamble?
                  I never said it wasnt.

Its just MORE of a gamble to draft a R1 CB, at least in the FO's eyes.

Comment

I never said it wasnt.

Its just MORE of a gamble to draft a R1 CB, at least in the FO's eyes.
                    I'm not even going to question the FO's thought processes, it became all too clear whenever I saw this Clements deal.

Just wondering, are the same guys in charge who drafted Mike Rumph in 2002?

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

I'm sure the thinktank of the 49ers, in their analysis of the free agent market, compared the search for and development of a cornerback versus a 3-4 outside linebacker in terms of draft prospects, and ultimately sided with Nate Clements over Adalius Thomas.
                      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I'm not even going to question the FO's thought processes, it became all too clear whenever I saw this Clements deal.

Just wondering, are the same guys in charge who drafted Mike Rumph in 2002?
                        No. That was terry donahue. This is Scot Mcloughan/Mike Nolan.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                          I'm sure the thinktank of the 49ers, in their analysis of the free agent market, compared the search for and development of a cornerback versus a 3-4 outside linebacker in terms of draft prospects, and ultimately sided with Nate Clements over Adalius Thomas.
                          In a KNBR interview, mcloughan said they ranked clements as the best FA out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
                            For those who are slower:

He.
                            Will.
                            Not.
                            See.
                            $80 million.

He's making a little over 7 million a year for the first 6 years.
                            7.25 x 6 = 43.5

That means he makes 37 million over the last 2 years, you really think he's going to see that money?

Don't be naive. This is a 6 year 43.5 million dollar contract.
                            Its called taxes buddy.

Comment

They just threw economics completely out the window in this deal. There is no way to justify Clements being the first $10 million a year defensive player. Off the top of my head I can say that Ed Reed and Champ Bailey are more deserving of that money. But what can you say, the 49ers wanted to make a splash and they made a huge one. Thank God the Titans didnt get into a bidding war for him, he isn't worth even $7.5 million a year. Good job Niners, now we will see what happens to your salary cap in 2 or 3 years

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                              Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

the funny part is there paying more at the end of his contract so its going to make it hard for them to cut him when he reaches 34/35 and he isnt proforming well.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information