Clements to SF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
    the funny part is there paying more at the end of his contract so its going to make it hard for them to cut him when he reaches 34/35 and he isnt proforming well.

More base salary...not bonus

When the 49ers cut him in 6 seasons they will be saving a ton. You really think hes going to get 36.5 mil over the last 2 seasons of his contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
      I'm sure the thinktank of the 49ers, in their analysis of the free agent market, compared the search for and development of a cornerback versus a 3-4 outside linebacker in terms of draft prospects, and ultimately sided with Nate Clements over Adalius Thomas.
      Exactly, it's much harder to find a dominant CB than a dominant 3-4 LB. In the right system, just about any LB can be good, but when you are playing a position with the kind of responsibility that a CB has, not just anyone can handle that role.

Comment

The Niners had a great Friday. They signed 3 starting defensive players. Lewis (S) from the Eagles, Franklin (NT/DT) from the Ravens and arguably the best FA this year, Clements (CB) from the Bills. Nolan said late Friday that they will be in talks with Thomas tomorrow and also have players like Bennett and Stallworth on their radar as well.

If they some how steal Thomas away from the Pats, while also getting a good WR in Stallworth or Bennett, all I can say is watch out for the Niners in 2007-2008.

Comment

Geez, you people are so dumb. The contract IS NOT 8/80!!! It's 6/45, CLEMENTS WILL NOT SEE YEARS 7 AND 8!!!

Dang, get that through your thick skulls will ya?

Comment

Originally posted by eastside49er View Post
            The Niners had a great Friday. They signed 3 starting defensive players. Lewis (S) from the Eagles, Franklin (NT/DT) from the Ravens and arguably the best FA this year, Clements (CB) from the Bills. Nolan said late Friday that they will be in talks with Thomas tomorrow and also have players like Bennett and Stallworth on their radar as well.

If they some how steal Thomas away from the Pats, while also getting a good WR in Stallworth or Bennett, all I can say is watch out for the Niners in 2007-2008.
            how much salary cap space do you think you have? stallworth and thomas along with who they already signed? thats insane....

and i think its a good move, leon hall isnt a for sure thing, could end up like buchanon did, and maybe they wanted an impact player right away at corner....looks like their trying to win the division right now

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I like this a lot better, when I heard 35$ Million of it will never see the light of day. Now to think of it, great move 49ers.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                I like this a lot better, when I heard 35$ Million of it will never see the light of day. Now to think of it, great move 49ers.
                Exactly. This is pretty good market value for a cornerback.

Im not worried about the money. Im worried he will cash in on his signing bonus and stop being competitive..

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                  how much salary cap space do you think you have? stallworth and thomas along with who they already signed? thats insane....

and i think its a good move, leon hall isnt a for sure thing, could end up like buchanon did, and maybe they wanted an impact player right away at corner....looks like their trying to win the division right now
                  Well, they had 37 going into today. Clements will probably be a cap hit of 8-9 million. Lewis about 2-3. Franklin about 1-2. So the still have 25 or so million in cap room. They can sign Thomas or Stallworth if they choose which is scary,

Comment

This thread became pretty funny. It amazes me just how badly people misunderstand the salary cap. Great deal for SF.
                    Last edited by Borat; 03-03-2007, 12:28 PM.
                    The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry View Post
                      For those who are slower:

He.
                      Will.
                      Not.
                      See.
                      $80 million.

He's making a little over 7 million a year for the first 6 years.
                      7.25 x 6 = 43.5

That means he makes 37 million over the last 2 years, you really think he's going to see that money?

Don't be naive. This is a 6 year 43.5 million dollar contract.

His Signing Bonus is 22 million pro rated over the length of the contract that is 2.75 million per year he receives all of that

If he does last six years and gets paid $43.5 million and then gets cut, the Niners will still have $5.5million in dead cap, so in essence the contract will cost $49 million, even if they dont physically pay that. That is still money they cannot use when he is gone.

My team has seen it time and time again. Your team were crippled after the first years of free agency. Had the Redskins done this you would be laughing hard. I suggest you look in the mirror and realise that this was way too much for a player recognised not being in the Top 5 of his position.

Also if he is a bust, or gets injured the 49ers have saddled a huge dead cap hit on themselves. You will feel this, just like us Redskin fans do with Archuleta and Lloyd. I hope you guys dont regret it too bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                        It's pretty annoying every person that comes in here and says "OMG SO MUCH MONEY!!!11!!1!!" when it isn't that crazy of a deal for a top 10 CB.
                        I agree. Look at the contract Brian Williams got from the Jaguars last year: 6 years, $32 million, with a $10 million signing bonus. And that's for a guy who wasn't even a consistent starter for his former team.

Everybody really just needs to calm down. Like it's been said, he'll never see the last two years of the contract. A 6 year, $40-ish million contract sounds just about right, although, I'd say they forked up too much in terms of guaranteed money.

Comment

• Originally posted by flave1969 View Post
                          His Signing Bonus is 22 million pro rated over the length of the contract that is 2.75 million per year he receives all of that

If he does last six years and gets paid $43.5 million and then gets cut, the Niners will still have $5.5million in dead cap, so in essence the contract will cost $49 million, even if they dont physically pay that. That is still money they cannot use when he is gone.

My team has seen it time and time again. Your team were crippled after the first years of free agency. Had the Redskins done this you would be laughing hard. I suggest you look in the mirror and realise that this was way too much for a player recognised not being in the Top 5 of his position.

Also if he is a bust, or gets injured the 49ers have saddled a huge dead cap hit on themselves. You will feel this, just like us Redskin fans do with Archuleta and Lloyd. I hope you guys dont regret it too bad.
                          His signing bonus is likely going to be pro-rated over the first 6 years of the contract, meaning there will be no cap hit when he's released. And you really cant compare a player like Clements to guys like Brandon Lloyd and Adam Archuletta (At least when the Skins signed him).

For a top 10 corner, it's a very reasonable deal given inflation and the market.

Comment

• Originally posted by AS11toFG21 View Post
                            His signing bonus is likely going to be pro-rated over the first 6 years of the contract, meaning there will be no cap hit when he's released. And you really cant compare a player like Clements to guys like Brandon Lloyd and Adam Archuletta (At least when the Skins signed him).

For a top 10 corner, it's a very reasonable deal given inflation and the market.
                            Look lets not kid ourselves here.

Its the signing bonus thats the killer here.

If it is pro rated over six years then that is $3.66 million a year. The guy who quoted $7.25 a year infers that he will average $3.59 million in base salary a year.

Now if I see a contract on paper that has a straight $3.59 base salary every year fine. But any of us that study this knows that contracts are almost always backloaded these days and that means it may be low to start with but will escalate quickly.

Dont be surprised if you see potential cap hits of between 9-10 milion or more in years 4,5 and 6 of the contract and that can cause real problems. I have seen it with the Redskins time and again.

If the Niners need to negotiate with Clements say in year 3 or 4, Clements is in an amazingly strong position. You cant cut him because you will see a dead cap hit of between 11-14 million, and if you want to keep him you have to inevitably give him more guaranteed money.

Signing bonuses are the real problem here and his is about 6-8 million to large IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
                              Yeah, so giving the biggest defensive contract in league history to a guy who isn't even top 5 at his position isn't a gamble?
                              Who the heck makes signing based upon where a player is ranked at his position? That logic makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by flave1969 View Post

No one laughs at the redskins for spending money on players. They laugh at the redskins because they spend it on the wrong players.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information