Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
    Minneapolis Star Tribune

"Considering the financial investment that the Vikings made to upgrade their roster this offseason, it should come as no surprise that owner Zygi Wilf and Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen have grand expectations. Wilf, attending the team's weekend minicamp, talked about the "tremendous amount of talent" the Vikings possess and that "every position that we felt we needed to get better at, we've brought the players in." Allen, the biggest name among the newcomers, was even more direct. "We expect to go to the Super Bowl," he said."
    Awesome, they can get totally thrashed by the Raiders again.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

I'd say they make it deep into the playoffs this year but ADP has never experianced the playoffs and seeing as he is there main offensive threat... its hard to give them the nod, as well as alot of their other core players not haveing that much experiance in the playoffs yet; and the final thing that will keep tem from reaching that bench mark is that they have no solid QB and as many people have said you cant win the superbowl without a good QB or atleast an experianced one, its like trying to win the world series without pitching it, it just doesnt usually work out. On another note I seriously like the Vikings this year, and if I had to make a homer prediction it would be that they would take the division and make it to the NFC title game where they would face the cowboys but unfortunatly it is going to be Dallas that comes out on top.

Jim Tressel: "a gentlmens code only applies to gentlmen"

"they give him the lane and.... OOOOOOOOOO. LEBRON JAMES WITH NO REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE!!!!!!!!!!"

Comment

How well Minnesota does depends all on how the QB play is plain and simple. If Tavaris steps up they can be dangerous especially in the NFC
        Originally posted by 49erNation85
        I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Maybe if they get a good QB and WR they could maybe make it

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
          @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Wait, isn't the point of playing in the NFL to get to and win the super bowl? So, shouldn't everyone expect to make it there? I personally think it'd be a shame if he didn't.
            SKOL VIKINGS!

Comment

you know what would be funny?

adrian peterson gets hurt for real this year. and they go 8 and 8.

all that money ziggy?
              http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
              For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

They need to worry about winning the division first.

Comment

Originally posted by diehardvikingsfan View Post
                  Wait, isn't the point of playing in the NFL to get to and win the super bowl? So, shouldn't everyone expect to make it there? I personally think it'd be a shame if he didn't.
                  No not at all
                  RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
                    I want to see them make the playoffs first and get some consistency with that before talking, to the media, about superbowl.
                    Thats how you feel as an outsider, if you are a HC(which I believe you are in real life) do you huddle your team up in training camp, and say, "guys, can really make the playoffs this year we just have to work, super bowl is obviously out of the question because their are alot of teams better, but we can at least make the playoffs", every team sets their goals on the playoffs...Honestly if before last season came out and somebody for the Giants said something about winning the super bowl alot of people would of laughed also, the "best team" doesn't always end up winning the super bowl, realistically all they have to do is be clicking at the right time of the year...If AD is healthy along with that D line, I wouldn't consider it out of the question if Jackson can play bus driver, I've seen plenty of teams win with a great defense and strong running game, happens all the time.

We all as outside fans want to sit here and say "there is no way this team makes it", but the facts are, teams or players don't think that way, even at the smallest levels, nor do they feel differently publicly speaking...Wasn't everyone bashing Vernon Gholston for saying something along the lines of competing for the super bowl, not this yr but next year, how is that so funny, and what Allen said is not right either? Can't be both ways, players feel they can win the super bowl with the guys around them, and saying is believing, I have no problem with guys speaking about the super bowl, rather that then personal stats or the pro bowl.
                    Last edited by LonghornsLegend; 06-10-2008, 09:43 PM.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                      you know what would be funny?

adrian peterson gets hurt for real this year. and they go 8 and 8.

all that money ziggy?
                      Actually I wouldn't call that FUNNY at all.

But what is rather ironic/humorous is that if Zygi Wilf wasn't such a cheapskate 4-5 years ago when they had that prolific offense with Randy Moss while they were as high as 30 million under the cap, they would almost certainly have a ring or two by now.

Moss was made the scapegoat in Minnesota but in reality, it was not spending money to sure up that porous defense that cost them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
                        Yeah they certainly have the potential, but thinking it in the lockeroom and going out and saying it is different. I want to see more consistently before I buy into that.
                        I agree with you but couldn't you have said the EXACT same thing about the Giants before last year, even half way through last year?

Comment

i hope the vikings have and horriable year so they can get Tim Tebow and that would be a nice team lol

Comment

Originally posted by BBIB View Post
                            Actually I wouldn't call that FUNNY at all.

But what is rather ironic/humorous is that if Zygi Wilf wasn't such a cheapskate 4-5 years ago when they had that prolific offense with Randy Moss while they were as high as 30 million under the cap, they would almost certainly have a ring or two by now.

Moss was made the scapegoat in Minnesota but in reality, it was not spending money to sure up that porous defense that cost them.

When Zygi bought the team is when we started spending big money during the offseason. Our hugely prolifific offense started to go stagnant after that, and you can't blame it all on Moss. Culpepper came crashing down to earth.

Comment

Don't have a problem with what he says..

The NFC is wide open and Minnesota is among the top teams in the NFC. Getting to the Super Bowl is a realistic goal, ESPECIALLY if Jackson steps up. They've brought him some help and this is year 2 under Childress. A smart veteran like Gus Frerotte is in the backup "clipboard QB" spot, so Jackson doesn't have any excuses now.

That being said, it is hard to go from not making the playoffs to winning it all in the course of one year. It's been done, but it's just hard to do so. Especially when so many guys in very important positions haven't experienced the postseason.

Thanks BoneKrusher! The Sig King!

Comment

Jumping on the "Its not a big deal" band wagon here. Because in reality, as we saw this year, any team can make the superbowl. Its about playing well right when it matters the most. If the vikings can avoid injuries at key moments in the season (specifically the post season, but in other areas too obviously) they can be a contender.

As far as talent and skill between players goes, there may be a huge talent gap from say - the Miami Dolphins to the New England Patriots. But going from Vikings to Cowboys (Or packers or giants or whoever you believe is the top NFC team) is not that huge of a jump.

I'd say Allen did the right thing here. Vikings have a lot of young players and a lot of new players they picked up through trades / free agency and with Allen saying he believes in this team publicly, he's letting those guys know its not just a locker room pep talk but its the real deal - he honestly believes they can compete for the super bowl.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information