Allen expects Vikings in Super Bowl?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duster View Post
    They were a .500 team last year in a weak division. They didn't make the playoffs. They have no quarterback as of now and their passing game is non-existent. They have an injury-prone runningback who the entire offense relies on.
    If they make the playoffs this year, then next year start talking about the Super Bowl. You don't go from zero to hero in a year, especially when they haven't even addressed their biggest issue, the passing game.
    Well. You're right. Their quarterback hasn't even shown signs of turning the corner, their passing game was upgraded with the addition of BB... But, where BB thrived was in the play action. Their offense is really built to kill you on the play action, and what does TJax complete the least percentage of his passes on? Play Action. You're not going to have a competant passing game with that running game unless you can run the play action. And jeez.

I also really think that the Vikes ARE too reliant on AP, they can't have him return anymore. At all. If he gets injured, like he did any time last year, only a little worse, 10 out of 16 games (that he'd miss) would ruin the vikes. I don't think it's a contest for anyone to deny that AP is injury prone, he runs very dangerously, but dangerously well. Super high risk/reward.

I don't think it's the end, but i don't think it's going to be a domination in the NFCN.
    http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
    For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

With Adrian Peterson possibly healthy throughout the season and that front 4, it is definitely a possibility. Jackson's play at QB just needs to be solid.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Duster View Post
        You're right. Vikings are going to the Super Bowl (even though they're not the best team in their weak division).
        It's awesome how you think mildly sarcastic asides constitute a witty argument.

The number 1 wideout last year, Bobby Wade, is now the number 3 option. Jackson, from all accounts has been doing WORK all offseason and has shown up dramatically improved. He's got a ways to go before showing he can be even a competent quarterback, but the pieces are there.
        Originally posted by 7-11
        Originally posted by Renji
        Keyshawn because i just hate T.O. he is a cocky son of a biscuit
        But an athletic marvel for a second generation confectionary product

Comment

Originally posted by litlharsh View Post
          It's awesome how you think mildly sarcastic asides constitute a witty argument.

The number 1 wideout last year, Bobby Wade, is now the number 3 option. Jackson, from all accounts has been doing WORK all offseason and has shown up dramatically improved. He's got a ways to go before showing he can be even a competent quarterback, but the pieces are there.
          He had a very good argument in the post before it and you called him a tool. I wouldn't bother dealing with you if I were him either.

Anyway, Jackson was supposedly looking great last off season too but actually got worse at the end of the season in my opinion. You can't say all the pieces are there right now without seeing improvement from him. A competent QB is a big piece.

Comment

Of course, so I'll hold judgement. But to say that they have a non-existant passing game and which relies on a single runningback is silly at best. Last year, he was fairly ineffective the last 7 games, and they went 5-2. His rushing totals were 0, 0, 116, 3, 78, 27, 36 in those games.

Granted the wins were against poor teams, but the point stands.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerbacker View Post
              He had a very good argument in the post before it and you called him a tool. I wouldn't bother dealing with you if I were him either.

Anyway, Jackson was supposedly looking great last off season too but actually got worse at the end of the season in my opinion. You can't say all the pieces are there right now without seeing improvement from him. A competent QB is a big piece.
              how did he have a good post? he specifically stated "The vikings haven't even addressed their biggest issue, the passing game." Which they have improved (adding Bernard Berrian to their WR corp) and further developing 2 young guys that are a big part of their passing game (both T-jack and S. Rice).

Also, how is this a good argument?

As for them winning the NFC or the Super Bowl...come on. Giants, Cowboys, and Packers are all much better teams on paper and have proven it on the field. The Vikings haven't proven anything other than their own inadequacy the past few seasons.
              Neither the Packers nor the Cowboys made the superbowl last year. And no one predicted the giants to even make the play offs last year. Then when they did make the play offs, no one thought they'd make it to the superbowl. Then when they made the superbowl no one expected them to win it.

Honestly, I don't get how his argument had any legitimacy to it. If someone wants to sit here and spout off a weak argument for why a team can't do something thats fine (thats basically what these boards are for) but Duster has 15 posts and -57 rep for a reason, maybe he should be a little more open minded instead of throwing around opinions as if they're fact.

Comment

Originally posted by litlharsh View Post
                ^haha, you're such a tool. They've dramatically revamped the passing game, and last year t-jack was essentially a rookie starter. Not a good recipe for success.

The only thing I'm worried about is the O-line
                You have to remember that "t-jack" blows though......
                RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

/suicide myself

Comment

Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
                    how did he have a good post? he specifically stated "The vikings haven't even addressed their biggest issue, the passing game." Which they have improved (adding Bernard Berrian to their WR corp) and further developing 2 young guys that are a big part of their passing game (both T-jack and S. Rice).

Neither the Packers nor the Cowboys made the superbowl last year. And no one predicted the giants to even make the play offs last year. Then when they did make the play offs, no one thought they'd make it to the superbowl. Then when they made the superbowl no one expected them to win it.

Honestly, I don't get how his argument had any legitimacy to it. If someone wants to sit here and spout off a weak argument for why a team can't do something thats fine (thats basically what these boards are for) but Duster has 15 posts and -57 rep for a reason, maybe he should be a little more open minded instead of throwing around opinions as if they're fact.
                    The Packers and Cowboys both made the playoffs last year, so they did indeed prove more than the Vikings last year. Also, while they did add Berrian, it's my opinion that he does not instantly create a good passing game. He didn't in Chicago, anyway. He could improve it, but the Vikings will still have a subpar air game unless Jackson takes significant strides from the end of last season.

As far as buster goes, he did say that it is possible that Tarvaris plays better and they make the playoffs, but you seemed to miss that and couldn't look past his post count and rep when you concluded that he was close-minded. Irony much?

Comment

Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post

Well not making the playoff argument was flat out stupid in my opinion. Anyone who knows the game knows we made the playoffs with two idiots as our coordinators. We ddn't start the Coughlin tenure with Spags and Gilbride as our coordinators. We actually had dumb and dumber with Coughlin. One got kicked out of Pittsburgh, and the other, Hufangel was glad to get his first time job as an OC.

So inspite of that we still managed to make the playoffs, and lose, but finally there was pressure to make a change and we did. We got an aggressive DC, and gave the OC to a guy who has had tons of experience. Tiki retired, which actually balanced our lockroom and offense. I have no clue why people wouldn't expect playoffs. We were only getting better and younger finally.

I still remember people on here saying he'd pick top 10 in this years draft. But we showed consistency in making the playoffs, be it a weak NFC. I wouldn't have guessed winning the superbowl, but playoffs was an easy thing in my mind. We got better, our chemistry got better, and we got better coaches.

Comment

Throughout all of last year, I felt that the Giants were a Super Bowl-caliber team and I've heard a lot about them being one as well.

I was always scared of the Giants taking the NFC East and deep inside had a deep feeling that the Giants would put us out of the playoffs. And they've proved it on the field by doing what thirteen other teams couldn't do...beat the Patriots en route to the Lombardi Trophy.

The Cowboys became the best team in the NFC with an explosive offense. Our defense was suspect, but scary. We may have imploded at the end of the season, especially against Philly and our playoff loss to the Giants, but all in all we proved to be one of the elite teams. I mean, our coach might get fired if we don't win the Super Bowl....

The Packers are the least likely of that argument because of they have to start over with a new QB. But every other position is pretty solid and top to bottom, they should be just fine.

Now, as far as the Vikings go...

In the games they won, they showed dominance. In the games they lost, they were lousy and really, in most cases, shot themselves in the foot. The other team rarely beat them...they beat themselves.

The defense, alone, is good enough to carry this team into the postseason. If they can become more consistent, even with a below-average QB, they can expect playoffs and a deep run to the Super Bowl.

Thanks BoneKrusher! The Sig King!

Comment

Originally posted by Byrd430 View Post
                          Throughout all of last year, I felt that the Giants were a Super Bowl-caliber team and I've heard a lot about them being one as well.

I was always scared of the Giants taking the NFC East and deep inside had a deep feeling that the Giants would put us out of the playoffs. And they've proved it on the field by doing what thirteen other teams couldn't do...beat the Patriots en route to the Lombardi Trophy.
                          OMG! You are telepathic! ZOMGZ! :D

Comment

Originally posted by djack10 View Post
                            OMG! You are telepathic! ZOMGZ! :D
                            Oh don't get me wrong, I saw the Giants make the playoffs before the year started, possibly as the top team in the NFC East.

As a Wild Card team, I was scared to death that they would beat us, although I never showed it because the Cowboys are my team, and I must exhibit utmost confidence (or arrogance if you don't like the Cowboys) in my team.

Now, that being said, I did not expect them to beat the Packers, but given that it was in the snow and almost anything can happen in the snow, I could see how they won.

Now, I certainly did not see them beating the Patriots. I put close to two hundred dollars on the Pats with the points and even took the under in that game cuz I thought the Giants wouldn't score enough.

But then again, the Patriots destroyed so many teams throughout the season..even the good ones, so it wasn't a knock on the Giants so much as it was extreme confidence in the Patriots.

Any way you look at it though, I stand by what I said:

The Giants were, and still are, a very dangerous team. I don't think anybody doubted that for a second last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Byrd430 View Post
                              Any way you look at it though, I stand by what I said:

The Giants were, and still are, a very dangerous team. I don't think anybody doubted that for a second last season.
                              :/ I don't feel the same way about the Giants, I think they just had a great run at exactly the right time.

The off-season has not been kind to them-
                              • Their defensive leader is retired
                              • Shockey is coming off of injury and is reported to be unhappy
                              • Burress is holding out
                              • Osi is holding out
                              • The defense was raided, They lost some valuable LBers and their starting SS
                              • They are starting a Rookie at SS and FS isn't exactly a team strength

This offseason, they are feeling the negative effects of a super-bowl win.

Comment

Originally posted by djack10 View Post
                                :/ I don't feel the same way about the Giants, I think they just had a great run at exactly the right time.

The off-season has not been kind to them-
                                • Their defensive leader is retired
                                • Shockey is coming off of injury and is reported to be unhappy
                                • Burress is holding out
                                • Osi is holding out
                                • The defense was raided, They lost some valuable LBers and their starting SS
                                • They are starting a Rookie at SS and FS isn't exactly a team strength

This offseason, they are feeling the negative effects of a super-bowl win.
                                All things they can overcome though...

Shockey isn't that much of a factor IMO, simply cuz the Giants proved they can play with Boss at the position.

Burress and Osi will be okay. They'll still play, simply for the fact that they wanna prove their worth. I don't take holdouts too serious.

Don't see where you get a rookie at SS. Last time I checked, they signed Sammy Knight to at SS, so if Michael Johnson (2007 rookie) can't handle it, they have players who can. They also have an option of moving Corey Webster there. Kenny Phillips was regarded as the best safety in the draft, so he should be okay at FS and he makes big plays.

Antonio Pierce and Kiwanuka return at LBs and are big play players. I've always liked Wilkerson, and signing Danny Clark will help for depth.

Tuck will pick up where Strahan left out IMO. Strahan's locker room presence will be missed, but I feel the Giants have players who can step up.

I still view them as a dangerous team.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information