No announcement yet.

Sporting News: NFC Tight Ends

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I am not mistaken, I remember reading on the SF MB, that Davis had issues with the playbook. Is that true? Is he a slow learner?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
      If I am not mistaken, I remember reading on the SF MB, that Davis had issues with the playbook. Is that true? Is he a slow learner?
      I read everything 49ers and haven't heard that yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikkayeah View Post
        his speed would be better utilized outside and he would cause bigger matchup problems. a 6'3 255lb wr that's faster than most db's? think about it
        Putting him at WR full-time would be a terrible idea. His speed is fine but at 255 his COD skills are not amazing. Plus his strength would be much better used in-line. Maybe flex him out on long third downs, but other than that he is more versatile as a TE.

Also, about his inability to learn the playbook. I don't think that was ever proven, one of the 49ers bloggers (either Maccico or Barrows) made that assumption.

Comment

• Originally posted by MasterShake View Post
          I read everything 49ers and haven't heard that yet.
          The guy below I guess must have the read the same thing. I heard or read what the other member just said.

If that's the case, assuming that's true, then it would hard to move him to WR. A wr has to memorize the passing tree for outside WR, which is split end or flanker, and then have to memorize inside WR routes as well. On top of that, you have to remember alignments above the numbers, base, or nasty, which is closer splits.

All that is very hard to remember, so if he can't get TE routes and blocking assignments down, then it would be very, very hard to remember the WRs manuel.

Comment

• AFC TE's blow NFC TE's out of the water.:)

Comment

• I never thought the TE rankings would generate so much discussion, I think this is the most of any so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                AFC TE's blow NFC TE's out of the water.:)
                AFC TE's are just nasty. They have a couple guys who will be among the best ever when it is all said and done.

Comment

• Which player would Davis create the bigger matchup problem for?
                  5'11 CB that runs a 4.40, Davis is playing WR/Flanker
                  6'3 OLB that runs a 4.7, Davis is at TE

This is a serious question. I realize 40s don't dictate these things but I needed an easy relative measure of speed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Banner View Post
                    Which player would Davis create the bigger matchup problem for?
                    5'11 CB that runs a 4.40, Davis is playing WR/Flanker
                    6'3 OLB that runs a 4.7, Davis is at TE

This is a serious question. I realize 40s don't dictate these things but I needed an easy relative measure of speed.
                    Obviously the LB will have a harder time covering Vernon Davis, but after the catch the CB will have a hell of a time bringing him down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duster View Post
                      Those two plays show that he's one of the best YAC TEs in the league? Please. He had 5 plays over 20 yards last season, none over 40.
                      What they just happened magically? Trent Dilfer also was throwing him the rock last season behind a terrible offense lead by a terrible offensive coordinator. That doesn't help his case. And I just gave you two examples and told you he's shrugged off defenders numerous times. I never told you those two particular examples defined his status did I? Please don't take my statements out of context. Watch the games and you'll understand.

Honestly in my opinion the only thing holding Vernon Davis back is the team he's on. It's not like he doesn't have the ability. He has proven he does already. Statistics don't tell the story.
                      Last edited by Ness; 06-26-2008, 12:01 AM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                      Originally posted by Borat
                      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information