Sporting News: NFC Tight Ends

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duster View Post
    I think an argument can be made for the Redskins over the Cowboys, mostly based on Chris Cooley. Very underrated player who adds a whole new dimension to that offense.
    Witten>Cooley.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
      Witten>Cooley.
      I was going to write that, but I thought it was given.

People way too often confuse underrated and great.

Originally posted by Halsey
      I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
        Witten>Cooley.
        My mistake, meant to say the Giants not the Cowboys.

Cooley > Shockey.

Comment

Originally posted by ChezPower4 View Post
          How are the giants #2! they should not be that high the last two seasons shockey hasn't been great and Boss Played ok in the playoffs. they should not be #2
          Shockey's the best blocking starting TE and Boss proved he can make plays in the passing game. Shockey's stats have gone down the last 2 years, but that's because he's been used a lot more as a blocker and decoy.

Comment

They have Cooley higher than Shockey on the individual TE list. So I guess they think Boss is better than Yoder + Davis.

Can't wait to see Zorn spread the field with 2 TE sets flanking Cooley or Davis out onto a DB.

Comment

My mistake, meant to say the Giants not the Cowboys.

Cooley > Shockey.
              As a receiver I can see that argument but shockey so much better as a blocker that the slight difference in receiving ability is negated.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatEscape View Post
                As a receiver I can see that argument but shockey so much better as a blocker that the slight difference in receiving ability is negated.
                Tight end blocking is about as important as wide receiver blocking in today's NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  Shockey while overrated as a pass catcher, is probably the best run blocking "pass catching" TE in the league, and is still a very solid/above average pass catcher. The thing to remember is our offensive scheme is not build for a TE to thrive, thats why Shockey always bitches so much. Its not a TE offense.
                  I'm not so sure if Shockey is overrated as a pass catcher. He may not stretch the seams like he used to when he was younger (before a handful of injuries), but I think he could do more. But as you said, the offense isn't geared on getting the most out of him as a receiver.
                  Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

It's nice to see Witten get some love. 49ers are a bit too high IMO.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Tight end blocking is about as important as wide receiver blocking in today's NFL.
                      Not in the giants scheme, Shockey's a huge part of our dominant run game. If you don't believe me go check Jacobs' stats after Shockey went down, with no one to seal the edge Jacobs wasn't nearly as effective.

Comment

If this were true, the NFL wouldn't have TE's. Just 3-4 WR sets. TE's are there to be the dual receiving/blocking option.

Comment

Whoa whoa whoa guys...I know you think they put Vernon Davis at #4 on potential alone, but Davis WAS actually the 4th best TE in the NFC last year...even with the horrible oline/QB/o-coordinator.

He had the quietest 52 catch year for a TE ever...

52 catches for 509 yards and 4 TDs on a HORRIFIC offense.

based on catches he is #4 and on yards #6 in the NFC...in a decent offense he is going to be even better...so that #4 ranking is solid.

Oh and he is a great blocker.

Comment

I was going to say the eagles are too high when I sas #6 but looking at the teams behind them I can't really argue with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                              If this were true, the NFL wouldn't have TE's. Just 3-4 WR sets. TE's are there to be the dual receiving/blocking option.
                              They are mostly their for matchup reasons. Yes, they are better blockers than wide receivers usually but that's such a small part of their job now.

Comment

Originally posted by Renji View Post
                                Potential shouldnt be enough to be ranked 4th though. You can have all the talent and potential in the world, if u dont show it, u shouldnt be ranked that high
                                Well regarding Davis there really isn't any question about what he can do. I suppose you can say if the stats aren't all there, then he and the rest of the tightends on his team shouldn't be ranked so high.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                                -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                                Originally posted by Borat
                                Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information