Sporting News: AFC Wide Receivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting News: AFC Wide Receivers

1. New England Patriots: Randy Moss, who set an NFL record for TD receptions last year, and Wes Welker, who set a team record for catches, are a great combo. Jabar Gaffney and Chad Jackson are solid options in multireceiver sets.

2. Cincinnati Bengals: Chad Johnson has speed and athleticism; T.J. Houshmandzadeh makes tough catches in traffic and is a good blocker. Rookies Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson are the top candidates for the No. 3 job.

3. Indianapolis Colts: Reggie Wayne, a pass-catching machine , and Marvin Harrison, who is on the mend after missing 11 games in '07, give defenses fits on the outside. That opens the middle for second-year player Anthony Gonzalez.

4. Pittsburgh Steelers: Pro Bowler Hines Ward has shown no signs of slowing down, and Santonio Holmes has become a bigplay guy. No. 3 Nate Washington is talented and athletic. Rookie Limas Sweed makes the unit even better.

5. Cleveland Browns: Braylon Edwards emerged as a Pro Bowl starter last season, though he still drops too many balls. Donte' Stallworth will inject the underneath quickness that the team lacked last year. Joe Jurevicius is a wily veteran.

6. Denver Broncos: The recovery of Brandon Marshall (forearm) is critical to an offense that relies on his ability to bust tackles. Darrell Jackson is healthy and has 60-catch potential, and Brandon Stokley is a dangerous slot option

7. San Diego Chargers: Chris Chambers' reliable hands made life easier for Philip Rivers last season. Vincent Jackson appears ready to become a bona fide No. 1. Legedu Naanee catches everything thrown his way.

8. Houston Texans: With Andre Johnson as the top target and Kevin Walter and Andre Davis as his complements, the Texans have one of the league's most impressive three-deep groups. Jacoby Jones has playmaking potential.

9. New York Jets: Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery are both adept at running routes and catching the ball in traffic, but neither has breakaway speed. Coles must stay healthy, and Brad Smith must show more in his third season.

10. Buffalo Bills: The team hopes rookie James Hardy will be a reliable big target in the red zone and that he takes some of the defensive focus off Lee Evans, who is coming off a down year. Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish are proven veterans.

11. Baltimore Ravens: Mark Clayton and Derrick Mason do a great job of finding holes in defenses, but they are primarily possession receivers. Demetrius Williams can become the deep threat if he stays healthy.

12. Kansas City Chiefs: As a rookie, Dwayne Bowe excelled at both making tough catches and running after the catch. It's a bad sign when Devard Darling is the top candidate as the other starter, though. Jeff Webb is a good possession receiver.

13. Oakland Raiders: The team threw a lot of money at Javon Walker, who is coming off his third knee surgery and a poor season. Most recently, he was an assault victim in Las Vegas. Ronald Curry and Drew Carter are decent targets.

14. Jacksonville Jaguars: The unit was revamped with Jerry Porter and Troy Williamson. Porter should draw double coverage on the outside, but Williamson had problems with drops in Minnesota. Reggie Williams improved in '07.

15. Tennessee Titans: Adding Justin McCareins doesn't quite solve the team's receiving woes. McCareins and Justin Gage can fight for the ball in traffic. Biren Ealy, undrafted last year, has put himself in the mix.

16. Miami Dolphins: Youth and inexperience abound at wide receiver, one of the biggest problem positions on the roster. The team seems confident in Ted Ginn Jr.'s ability to have a breakout season, especially given his progress as a route runner late last season. The new coaching staff intends to lighten his load on special teams so he'll have fresh legs to use his speed more on offense. Ernest Wilford, the Jaguars' No. 2 receiver last year, will assume a similar but more prominent role in the Dolphins' offense. He should complement Ginn well as an intermediate target with a big frame. Derek Hagan, David Kircus and Greg Camarillo will compete for the No. 3 job. All three have shown some flashes of ability but must be more consistent.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=427819

Tough choice but to be honest I think I would take the Dolphins WR corp. over the Titans.

I think its about right you could flip flop here or there if you wanted to but not a bad list.

Comment

Wow, higher ranking for the Chiefs than I would have expected. I know they can be pretty good, but with how young they are I wouldn't expect somebody else outside of KC to rank them that high. With how many young guys they have (nobody is over 27) I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump up 5 spots by next year.

Comment

One thing I noticed is it said Chargers WR Legedu Naanee catches everything thrown his way. Based on what? His 8 catches last year? I would think they would mention 2007 first round pick Buster Davis over him.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
          One thing I noticed is it said Chargers WR Legedu Naanee catches everything thrown his way. Based on what? His 8 catches last year? I would think they would mention 2007 first round pick Buster Davis over him.
          I'd think so too and I'd think they'd put San Diego ahead of Denver now that they're without Javon Walker and Indianapolis over Cincinnati with Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson causing so much trouble.

Although maybe they figure Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson will rejoin the team and that Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson will perform as he usually does.

Comment

The Browns have a great cast. I expect good things from that group this season.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
            Originally posted by Borat
            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Surprised Chiefs are 12th/16 but happy nonetheless.

I think Franklin can have a significant role this year as a rookie. We'll have to see.

Originally posted by fenikz
              His soft D really turns me off
              ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

The thing about the AFC is that many of the TE's are so good, that depth at WR becomes a less important because you can do the same things out of a 3 wr set that you could out of a 3 wr set. Colts, Chargers, Browns, Chiefs, all have wr-like te's.

Comment

Yeah I'm a litttle surprised with the comment for Naanee...I mean don't get me wrong, I like what he can do...but 'catches everything thrown his way' is an overstatement...not to mention Buster Davis will be in the slot next year, assuming Parker is either not healthy or traded.

Comment

hmmm

Judging from where the Ravens are ranked I'm judging they are basing this off the Mark Clayton and Derrick Mason tandem circa ohhhhh 2005....

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
                    Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.

Comment

Why did they write twice as much for the Dolphins than any other team, who in their opinion was the worst. I just thought it was kind of weird since all the other ones were exactly 3 lines long.

Comment

D-Bowe is number 1 overall Chiefs are at 12 EHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

:) :)
                        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

3 of the top 5 units are in the AFCN, never really thought about that.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                          Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

They mentioned Naanee because his awesome screen beat the Colts; or at least was one of a couple silver bullets. The kid is extremely talented. I don't think there are a whole lot of Charger fans who think Buster Davis is better than him.

I feel the Chargers positioning is about right but I'm puzzled about being lower than the Broncos. Marshall is good, but who else? Jackson doesn't count anymore. I wouldn't take their guys over Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson, not to mention our other guys who have made plays when called upon.
                            Last edited by CC.SD; 06-26-2008, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
                              They mentioned Naanee because his awesome screen beat the Colts; or at least was one of a couple silver bullets. The kid is extremely talented. I don't think there are a whole lot of Charger fans who think Buster Davis is better than him.

I feel the Chargers positioning is about right but I'm puzzled about being lower than the Broncos. Marshall is good, but who else? Jackson doesn't count anymore. I wouldn't take their guys over Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson, not to mention our other guys who have made plays when called upon.
                              Maybe they figure D-Jax will return to what he was in Seattle. I dunno, I'm not betting on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information