Sporting News: AFC Quaterbacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting News: AFC Quaterbacks

They haven't posted the NFC rankings yet. I'm leaving in a bit and won't be back until tomorrow so if you see them post the NFC rankings please make a thread for them...

1. Patriots
    Tom Brady already had the rings, and now he has the stats (including an NFL-record 50 TD passes). No one is better. Rookie Kevin O'Connell could eventually replace Matt Cassel as the No. 2, but not this year.

2. Colts
    With his remarkable accuracy and complete mental command of the game, Peyton Manning is right there with Brady--and he has never missed a start. Jim Sorgi has been adequate in his rare opportunities to play.

3. Steelers
    Ben Roethlisberger took more control of the offense last season, calling all the protection changes and audibles. Veteran backup Charlie Batch can make big plays. Rookie Dennis Dixon is the likely No. 3.

4. Bengals
    Carson Palmer's combination of accuracy, arm strength, field vision and leadership makes him an elite player. He must improve his ball security. Backup Ryan Fitzpatrick is tough and knows how to avoid pressure.

5. Chargers
    At the end of last year , Philip Rivers was increasingly productive and limited his mistakes. After ACL surgery in January, he should be completely ready for training camp. Billy Volek is a proven backup.

6. Browns
    Derek Anderson has a quick release but must improve his completion percentage and reduce his untimely interceptions. Brady Quinn has rare leadership skills and con_ dence and could step in if Anderson slips.

7. Broncos
    Jay Cutler has regained the nearly 30 pounds he lost with the onset of diabetes, which left him sapped last season. He must learn to check down more and take fewer chances. Patrick Ramsey is a capable backup.

8. Jaguars
    David Garrard has excellent mobility and a nice touch on short and midrange passes. He is working to improve on deep throws. Both backups, Cleo Lemon and Todd Bouman, have NFL starting experience.

9. Texans
    Matt Schaub lacks mobility but can get out of jams when necessary and has a strong arm. His inability to avoid hits and injuries is a concern. Sage Rosenfels went 4-1 last season, which means a controversy will be swirling if Schaub gets off to a slow start.

10. Titans
    Vince Young took a step back last year, so the Titans are trying to fix his footwork, among other things. Young has worked hard and is making progress. Kerry Collins is a capable, experienced backup.

11. Jets
    Chad Pennington is a savvy veteran who generally manages games well. Kellen Clemens has a stronger arm, but his pocket presence is shaky. Their battle for the starting job will spill into the preseason.

12. Bills
    Trent Edwards was a revelation as a rookie. He gets rid of the ball quickly and accurately but must improve his ability to read defenses. J.P. Losman's decision making is a big reason he lost the starting job to Edwards.

13. Raiders
    Strong-armed JaMarcus Russell is still struggling to make up for lost time after a long holdout last summer. His talent far exceeds that of experienced backups Andrew Walter and Marques Tuiasosopo.

14. Ravens
    Starter Kyle Boller makes poor decisions, especially in the red zone, and has never established himself as a leader. Like Boller, backup Troy Smith has accuracy issues. Rookie Joe Flacco is a year away.

15. Chiefs
    Brodie Croyle is winless in six starts, but his growth has been slowed by a spotty running game and weak blocking. If he falters, the team could turn to the inexperienced Tyler Thigpen or veteran Damon Huard.

16. Dolphins
    The competition for the starting job between John Beck and Josh McCown is wide-open. Beck is the more accurate passer, but McCown is bigger, stronger and more experienced. Rookie Chad Henne is the No. 3.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=431020

Only a couple things I would change here. I would move the Jaguars above the Browns & Broncos. Than I would move the Bills above the Titans.

=O, Who said that Kyle Boller is the starter?
    Troy Smith and accuracy issues? How can the best QB in the NFL have accuracy issues? With Troy Smith on the roster, Baltimore should be #1! :D

Baltimore: 7-4

Comment

Derek Anderson is way too high, not putting them above the Broncos for sure...Agree with Steelers above the Bengals though...I would put the Browns behind the Broncos and Jags.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Good place for the Jets. Combine strengths of Clemens and Pennington and you have a top 5 QB. Unfortunately now you just have 2 mediocre QBs
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Jags should be higher. I would take Garrard over at least Cutler and Anderson...backups included. Cutler and Anderson could stand to prove a little more imo

Comment

Jags should be at 6, Broncos at 7, and Cleveland at 8. Also Bills at 11 and Jets at 12.

Comment

DA's completion pct. wasn't that great, but that was mostly b/c he was throwing downfield a lot more than what QBs do in the west coast or similar to west coast offenses. Brady Quinn as the top of the line backup is why we're at 6, not just b/c Anderson threw for freakin' 29 TDs last year.

Comment

I knew the Bills and Jets would be back to back, it makes sense. Clemens isn't my favorite, but Trent needs to show more.
                Oh, and suck it, blowfish.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                  DA's completion pct. wasn't that great, but that was mostly b/c he was throwing downfield a lot more than what QBs do in the west coast or similar to west coast offenses. Brady Quinn as the top of the line backup is why we're at 6, not just b/c Anderson threw for freakin' 29 TDs last year.
                  So what, they still don't deserve to be higher then the Jags or the Broncos right now...Quinn is a top of the line backup? Thats awesome, are David Carr and Harrington top of the line backups too since they were 1st rd picks? Or maybe Quinn has done something else in his career to be considered top of the line and make their ranking so much better.

Comment

personally think that cinci should be above pitt, not that big ben is bad but c'mon Palmer is the third best qb in the whole game. to bad his defense and running game and actually everything but his wr's suck.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                    - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                    - Corner or Wideout in the first
                    - No reaching
                    - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by wicket View Post
                      personally think that cinci should be above pitt, not that big ben is bad but c'mon Palmer is the third best qb in the whole game. to bad his defense and running game and actually everything but his wr's suck.
                      Charlie Batch can step in and win games without the offense slowing up, the same cannot be said for Fitzpatrick, and since its a team rankings, Cincy shouldn't be above Pitt.

Comment

I hate it how the popular perception is VY took a "step back" in 07. He didn't, not even close. He was a better passer in 07 than in 06 without a doubt - the fact he improved his completion % by 11% and YPA at the same time reinforces that. He just wasn't *as* improved as some expected (arguably unrealistic at that) and didn't take many steps forward, but he certainly didn't get worse and go backwards. There are many reasons beyond VY's own performance why his TD:INT ratio was what it was, and despite this he still had a better QB rating and he had far more 80+ rating games. In fact outside of that ratio, he improved in every other passing stat, and any Titans fan will tell you he improved a lot on his shorter throws in 07. I think people forget just how terrible a passer he was as a rookie the majority of the time.

He did, however, go backwards as a scrambler, but he did have a quad injury lingering most of the year and it was obvious from day one in 2007 that Chow was trying to limit Young's use of legs compared to 06. If anything, the limited mobility in 07 and yet improving as a passer, slight as it may have been, only proves how much a better passer he was. I can't imagine how bad he would have been in 06 without full use of his mobility.
                        Last edited by OzTitan; 07-04-2008, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I would take Any teams Quarterback situation before I took the Jets.

Comment

Sweet, Chiefs 15 and not 16.

Originally posted by fenikz
                            His soft D really turns me off
                            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                              I would take Any teams Quarterback situation before I took the Jets.
                              i will straight up trade you grossman for pennington if thats the case. no lie.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information