Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBond's NFL Truths

I took a crack at it.

1. The Oakland Raiders have a Top Ten defense – They have one of the best secondaries in the NFL. If DeAngelo Hall improves, man coverage will be incredible, and Michael Huff and Gibril Wilson is also good in the running game. Though there is not the personel to stop the run, I believe the Raiders LBs will only improve their tackling and the coverage will lead to sacks. In a division with two other less than stellar Qbs, the Raiders defense will keep them in games. Unfortunately, their offense may not allow the team to be successful. Coach Lane Kiffin is a great coach, too bad Al Davis doesn’t like him.

2. The Dolphins get at least 6 wins – The last two teams to go 1-15 improved the next year by at least 4 games. One even ended up 7-9. Miami has completely new offensive personel who can at least manage them to some wins. Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams create a good running game behind new LT Jake Long. Toss in one of the smartest Qbs in the NFL in Chad Pennington. The defense will lose them some games, but the Dolphins are far from the worst team in the NFL. They will improve, and likely have some surprise wins inside the division against Buffalo and New York.

3. The Head Coach seat is on fire (Lose double digit coaches)- The head coach carousel will be in full swing this offseason. Marvin Lewis, Lane Kiffin, Rod Marinelli, John Fox, Scott Linehan, and Mike Nolan all will be let go. We’ll also see some coaches bow out, including Tony Dungy, Jeff Fisher, Mike Shannahan, and Mike Holmgren. We will see a whole mess of new head coaches, likely including Billick, Dennis Green, Jim Mora Jr, Jim Caldwell, as well as some other former head coaches coming in. Also, don’t dismiss that Pete Carroll may offer his services if the Colts back down from hiring Jim Caldwell.

4. Jay Cutler cements himself as the next great QB- Though Denver can’t seem to do much else right anymore, Jay Cutler has shown the pose, athleticism, and physical tools to be the next great NFL QB. With weapons like Marshall, Scheffler, and Royal, Cutler will have plenty of opportunities to sling the ball around. With the division ripe for the taking, Cutler will have to carry Denver on his back to a division title. Look for him to have some big games and be the darling of the press.

5. The AFC North will be the second worst division in football – Well, the NFC West won’t give up the worst spot. But, the AFC North will take a big turn for the worst. The Ravens will be in shambles with little to no offense and an aging defense. The Bengals still will have locker room problems and a defense that can’t compete. Let’s talk about the top two teams though. The Browns will take a step back when Derek Anderson is not as effective and injuries likely plague some key positions. The secondary is still a major problem for the Browns and many teams will take advantage of it. The team may not make the strides many think they will. The Steelers also did not address their biggest issues, OL and secondary. They lack depth at a number of positions and have injury prone players. Though Big Ben will work hard, he will get sacked a lot, and the running game may suffer. The Steelers Lbs will keep them in games, but they will lose due to an extremely difficult schedule. We won’t see the wildcard out of this division, and the division winner won’t have a great record.

6. The Giants are solid, not spectacular – Even with Osi likely out, the Giants will stick to a good motto “do work.” They will stay in the background while Dallas and Minnesota get all the credit in the NFC. They will have some tough losses, but also will pull out some unexpected wins. They will make playoffs and possibly make another run at the Super Bowl. There will be no big fireworks on this team. A solid pass-rush, mauling rushing attack, and efficient passing will win them games. Kenny Phillips should come onto the scene and do well and help the Giants contend for the division once again.

7. DeAngelo Williams will hold off Jonathan Stewart – DeAngelo Williams finally gets his chance as the starter. Unfortunately, it comes with the baggage of first round pick Jonathan Stewart. Fox loves going with his vets, so Williams will start. I think he can immediately come in and be effective and hold Jonathan Stewart away from that starting spot for now. He has the ability, but has never really gotten the chance. Look out for Dwilliams.

8. The Year of the TE – TEs are going to make a giant impact on the league this year. Their role has continued to increase over time and this year it will explode. Gates, Winslow, Witten, Gonzalez, Clark, Cooley, Shockey, Crumpler, Daniels, Heap, Scheffler, Davis, Miller, Lee, Utecht, Olsen, Boss, Watson, and Lewis will all have increased roles in their offense. TEs are often tough to physically cover and their talent continues to rise. Look out for the year of the TEs.

9. The Packers-Vikings rivalry heats up. – Both teams are going to be good this year. Rodgers has looked great, Peterson and the Vikings defense are intimidating. Their rivalry will be rekindled with two incredible close games and a tight division race that tests both teams. With the media focus on Rodgers and Peterson, this rivalry should really sharpen up. Going to be fun!

10. Changing of the guard – Every year, teams unexpected to do well have great years and make the playoffs. Well, here is where I got out on the limbs.

1. Houston Texans will make the wildcard. Schaub is going to take the next step, and if Slaton shows something, their offense and defense will be solid. Tennessee and Jacksonville will take a step back, and Houston will come in a close 2nd to Indianapolis. I’m going with a 10-6 wildcard.

2. Arizona Cardinals will win the NFC West…barely. Repeating an 8-8 record will work for the Cardinals again as they will win the division by getting wins over division rivals. That is how bad the NFC West will be this season. With Warner starting at the helm, and Leinart eventually coming in, the offense won’t skip a beat. Edge and Hightower will be a good pair, and the second year in there defensive system will be successful.

3. Atlanta Falcons win the NFC South. That’s right, the Atlanta Falcons. Matt Ryan will be the best rookie QB since Ben Roethlisberger, and they will rely heavily on Michael Turner. The offense will be able to move the ball, as Roddy White, Laurent Robinson, and Michael Jenkins aren’t terrible Wrs. The defense will need some new players to step up to the plate, and if that happens, they can win it. I like Mike Smith as a head coach, and the rest of the division worries me. TB and Carolina I’m just not buying their offenses or defenses. New Orleans is the favorite, but if they get an injury or two, it could crush them. Atlanta will take advantage and win the division.

Predictions:

OROY: Matt Ryan
    Runner-Up: Chris Johnson

DROY: Jerod Mayo
    Runner-Up: Kenny Phillips

MVP: Adrian Peterson
    Runner-Up: Tom Brady

DPOY: Mario Williams
    Runner-Up: Bob Sanders

Comeback Player of the Year: Zach Thomas

AFC East: New England Patriots

AFC South: Indianapolis Colts

AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC West: Denver Broncos

Wild Card: Houston Texans

Wild Card: Jacksonville Jaguars

NFC East: New York Giants

NFC South: Atlanta Falcons

NFC North: Minnesota Vikings

NFC West: Arizona Cardinals

Wild Card: Dallas Cowboys

Wild Card: Green Bay Packers

Wildcard

Pittsburgh vs. Jacksonville: Winner: Pittsburgh

Houston vs. Denver: Winner: Houston

Green Bay vs. Atlanta: Winner: Green Bay

Dallas vs. Arizona: Winner: Dallas

Divisional

Houston vs. New England: Winner: New England

Pittsburgh vs. Indianapolis: Winner: Indianapolis

Green Bay vs. Minnesota: Winner: Minnesota

Dallas vs. New York Giants: Winner: Dallas

Conference

Indianapolis vs. New England: Winner: New England

Minnesota vs. Dallas: Winner: Minnesota

Follow Me on Twitter!
    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Wow, the AFC West is up for the taking, and the Chargers miss the playoffs. Okay, sure thing. Great thoughts.

Comment

This is the year Dallas wins a playoff game huh?

We'll see.
      Originally posted by Patriots-Lions
      Dave is right
      Originally posted by duckseason
      Brady is 'just' the Queen on Belichick's chess board.

Comment

wow, vikes in the superbowl......we differ bigtime there.
        When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Put me down for saying the Chargers win the division by three games, at least.
          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Some bold predictions you have here

Comment

I agree about Riaders, Cutlers and Vikes.

I like Denver winning the West as well.

NIce post JBondage
              my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
              <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
              <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
              <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
              Originally posted by Hermstheman83
              What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                I agree about Riaders, Cutlers and Vikes.

I like Denver winning the West as well.

NIce post JBondage
                Denver and the Great Jay Cutler put up 6 points in two games against the Chargers this last year. If they win the division I will cut Joker scars into my face.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
                  Denver and the Great Jay Cutler put up 6 points in two games against the Chargers this last year. If they win the division I will cut Joker scars into my face.
                  you also think you're D is still dominant without Merriman and random guys off the bench will be studs...

but Bond, you give me hope. I hope you're right. I just want a playoff appearance. Without Osi, we're not going to repeat, but a playoff shot is not out of the question, despite what our loveable doo-doo heads on IRC think...
                  We ALL bleed scarlet
                  New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                  UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                  Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                  BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
                    Teams change, you don't need to get defensive just because someone finally has the chargers losing the division.

Comment

I have to take risks right? No fun without it. I'm just not excited about SD's passing game nor their defense as a whole yet. I'd def. be willing to discuss any of these.

As for predictions, you can take them a bit lightly. But, I do think Dallas could win a playoff game if they are the underdog, and Minnesota could def. squeak into the Super Bowl

Follow Me on Twitter!
                      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

I also think this is the year for Dallas to win at least one playoff game. Dallas vs Minnesota could be a scary good game to watch.
                        Originally posted by Patriots-Lions
                        Dave is right
                        Originally posted by duckseason
                        Brady is 'just' the Queen on Belichick's chess board.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                          you also think you're D is still dominant without Merriman and random guys off the bench will be studs...

but Bond, you give me hope. I hope you're right. I just want a playoff appearance. Without Osi, we're not going to repeat, but a playoff shot is not out of the question, despite what our loveable doo-doo heads on IRC think...
                          Eli to Crabtree, start hearing it now, scotty.

Just kidding, of course.
                          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Good on you for going out on a few limbs. I agree with almost everything you wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post

I think that because there's a lot of talented guys not named Merriman on the Charger D, and they're not getting enough credit.

You're right Bond, you gotta take risks. But the Bolts missing the playoffs...well a whole lot of things would have to go wrong.

Does your concern about the Bolts passing game just boil down to Rivers? I ask because I don't think it's a receiver issue; Chambers and Jackson have shown their stuff, Gates is Gates (he's practicing again, will be fine for the season), and the complimentary guys are talented also.

I can understand the concern given how we started last year, but let's take a look at it: He was adjusting to a new system, and his O-line was playing badly. Poor combo. The second half of the system, his rating was 90+, with no losses, and then he took over in all 3 of our playoff games, leading the Chargers to 2 wins. He did that without LT or Gates no less.

Overall, you're right Rocket, I am being too defensive; it certainly seems like many have been very eager to jump off the Chargers wagon though; that's fine with me, I'll quiet down and let the play do the talking.

Finally...Jyles Tucker FTW! 3 sacks, 2 FF, 1 FR for a touchdown...in Week 17. He's just fast as hell coming off the edge, and that's all there is to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information