Wes Welker to New England?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by indyfan1985 View Post
    Hows that? I agree with the Denver deal but the Pats paid WAY too much for Wes Welker who is simply a special teams guy along with a possible slot WR. And as much as I like Adalius Thomas, he is 30 years old and they paid 10 mil a year for him. I am never a fan of paying guys that much when they are in their 30s. This just further shows the Pats as one of the NFL's oldest teams.
    I think you're underrating Welker a bit there, 85. From day one that Patriots are getting one of the league's best #3 receivers, who could potentially become a very good #2 for them as they continue to develop their receiving core from the ground up. Picture Brandon Stokley, except at 26 years old, no durability concerns, and the ability to contribute as a return man on special teams.

That's a pricey contract, don't get me wrong, but the Patriots aren't exactly getting hosed here.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Maybe I am mistaken here... but... when I think of... football coaches... and especially all of the ones I had... I think of assholes and jerks yelling at the top of their lungs. Who gives a crap if Belichick doesn't coddle every player and tuck them in before they go to bed. They have a job to do, and if they don't take it seriously and give 110% to the cause, they are out. Period.

And it's that same cut throat attitude that has turned an organization that was pretty horrible pre-21st Century into the current class act of the NFL and has won the man three Super Bowls since he took over the Pats. It's clearly working, he's not going to change the ENTIRE organizational approaching for Doug ******* Gabriel of all people...

Comment

I think the Pats are really ticked about losing to the Colts and probably believe if they didnt go cheap in the previous offeseason they could have won that game.

Comment

welker is a perfect fit for the pats.

Comment

Damn they overpaid him and are going to have to give up their second round pick if Miami doesn't match their deal? Wow, bad move.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
              Damn they overpaid him and are going to have to give up their second round pick if Miami doesn't match their deal? Wow, bad move.
              have u not read what i've been saying?

-we didnt offer anything yet. we are meeting with him and sources say we will offer the sheet but nothing yet

-POISON pill. he'll probably see 20 mill and thats it

Comment

With the kind of money NE offered to Welker I'm suprised they didn't go after Kevin Curtis who is also more of a slot WR. They would have spent more money but would have been able to save the 2nd round pick.

Comment

Originally posted by remix 6 View Post
                  have u not read what i've been saying?

-we didnt offer anything yet. we are meeting with him and sources say we will offer the sheet but nothing yet

-POISON pill. he'll probably see 20 mill and thats it
                  Do you know what a poison pill is because you keep throwing it around and it doesn't seem to be in the right context.

That is correct comahan
                  I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                  <3 dg

Comment

I havent seen anything in the reputable press yet for a poison pill where are you seeing it perhaps? love to get a link and read what it is.

Plus I believe the NFL commish has said he will invalidate poison pill contracts after last year. Not that I care I want the 2nd round pick for him

Comment

• Originally posted by Finsfan79 View Post
                      I havent seen anything in the reputable press yet for a poison pill where are you seeing it perhaps? love to get a link and read what it is.

Plus I believe the NFL commish has said he will invalidate poison pill contracts after last year. Not that I care I want the 2nd round pick for him

The NFL didn't do anything about "poison pills" in contracts. If there is a poison pill in the contract, the NFL won't do anything about it.
                      "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

• peter king on 790 just reported that miami threatened to match and then the pats agreed to send a 2nd rounder PLUS a 7th rounder for welker.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Grizzlegom View Post
                          peter king on 790 just reported that miami threatened to match and then the pats agreed to send a 2nd rounder PLUS a 7th rounder for welker.
                          its a trade instead of an offer sheet i think

Comment

• Originally posted by remix 6 View Post
                            its a trade instead of an offer sheet i think
                            yea i guess it would be...regardless, miami is getting an extra pick :-)

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Why do they go after Welker with a 2nd and a 7th when they could get a better WR, like Randy Moss or someone. . .

Comment

• Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                                Do you know what a poison pill is because you keep throwing it around and it doesn't seem to be in the right context.
                                I think he knows exactly what it means, which is why he is saying he won't see 20 million of it max. And this is confirmed:

Patriots acquired Wes Welker for second and seventh-round draft picks in the 2007 draft. A long term deal has been agreed to, but is undisclosed.

The $39 million figure that was floated for Welker's proposed offer sheet probably included a lot of phony money and years. Since the two teams dealt directly, it won't be necessary to pay Welker so much or so creatively. Welker provides the Patriots a versatile receiver who stands a good chance at starting. He'll also return punts. Don't be surprised if Welker's solid 2006 numbers improve.
                                Don't get me wrong, I hate the deal, but at least he's a lot cheaper...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information