Browns Fire GM Savage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browns Fire GM Savage

Profootballtalk reports that the Browns have already let go of Phil Savage.
    Savage won a power struggle with team president John Collins in 2005, Savage's first year on the job, and had Cleveland on the rise the next two years. After a highly aggressive offseason that included trading up for Brady Quinn in the 2007 draft, the Browns went 10-6 and Savage got a contract extension. However, this year's 4-12 flop coupled with Savage's PR blunders sealed his fate. Savage is still sure to resurface at a high position in another NFL front office. He's a good evaluator and respected by his peers. Dec. 28 - 5:23 pm et
    Source: Profootballtalk.com
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/28/savage-fired/

take it for what its worth. I wouldnt believe it until we can get some official confrimation.

IMO this wasnt a nessicary move. Savage can't coach the team, he can only provide the best players he can in his power and he did that, from then on its the head coaches responsibility. Crennel was more deserving of being fired. Oh and my apologies if this is in the wrong thread, just thought it was big enough news...

I believe it even from pft

Comment

doesnt shock me.
      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Egotistical piece of **** gone.

Comment

I give it about 3 days before he gets a new job

Comment

Great talent scout who didn't work as a GM.

Comment

Merry Christmas 2.0 Browns fans.
              Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
              RIP themaninblack

Comment

I loved Savage in the draft and recognizing talent, I was always a fan of his. Hopefully our new "regime" can turn us around quickly.

Comment

what exactly did Savage do to get fired? I mean he gave Romeo a ton of talent through free agency AND the draft and yet it is him getting fired. I think the wrong person was fired. It was Romeo and his coaching staffs responsibility to work with the talent and get the best out of them. I really don't understand this move.

Comment

Might not have been great but he'd be better than the guys currently in St Louis and Detroit

Comment

I read an article and from what it said, in a nutshell, Savage didn't get alot of the players that Crennel wanted, and the one time he did he got Wimbley instead of Ngata (Crennel's fault) but otherwise Crennel would have been right almost every time and Savage screwed up every time.

Comment

that plus the whole email thing and the winslow feud, and a few other instances before that where there was some controversy with what he said. I wouldn't have fired him b/c the talent is waaaay more than it was before he got here, but we did win only about 5 divisional games in 4 years and had 1 winning season and 6 wins or less in the other three plus 0 playoff appearances under Crennel/Savage. That's not that bad of ground to fire them both.

Comment

I'd hope Clark considers Savage for a role as a scout or something

Comment

Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                            I'd hope Clark considers Savage for a role as a scout or something
                            As a scout? Come on. Savage will have a GM job in no time. The guy is dynamite. Look at the Browns roster before he got there, and look at it now. 100% difference. Its funny how all the browns fans on here just crucify the guy, but the wrong guy got fired. He made your team SO much better and it isnt even funny. If you wanna torch someone, torch Romeo. Savage game him an assload of talented players to coach. Savage will find another GM job, you can bet on that.
                            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                            The APS is strong in this one.
                            Originally posted by killxswitch
                            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I think this was a mistake...

Romeo I can see but Savage gave the Browns enough talent to win.

Savage is one of the best scouts in the business and if I were running an NFL team I'd be tripping all over myself trying to bring him into the organization.
                              Scott Wright, President
                              Draft Countdown.com
                              www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                              www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information