Browns Fire GM Savage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
    I'm not sure you can't totally pin those guys being FA busts on the GM. Both of their injuries were pretty freak iirc as none had a prior injury past.
    I know, but he also gave Bentley 6 years 36 million and Baxter a **** load as well, we traded a 2nd round pick for Corey Williams and ended up paying him something barely short of 40 million, yet we didn't get any good linebackers in a 3-4... Brilliant.

That stuff would be alright if he actually drafted well in the second day, but we have something like 2 day two starters on our roster since Savage has had control of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
      I know, but he also gave Bentley 6 years 36 million and Baxter a **** load as well, we traded a 2nd round pick for Corey Williams and ended up paying him something barely short of 40 million, yet we didn't get any good linebackers in a 3-4... Brilliant.
      Wasn't Andra Davis coming off of a few really good years, and then they did draft Wimbley who had a good rookie year at least. So he tried but yeah.....LB is not a spot to be thin at in a 3-4. Look at the Steelers....Bell and Porter and Haggans are phased out, Harrison, Woodley, and Timmons are worked in. No problems there....

Comment

It's true. Savage has always been massively overrated, particularly in the non-draft aspects of the game. It's not like Cincy or Arizona where the owners don't spend much money, Savage got to play like a kid in the candy store and his teams still suck.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by The Legend View Post
          Lions should sign him.
          seconded, regardless of how the Browns have done this season, he's a solid GM and sure as hell beats anything Ford Sr. has on his shortlist.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
            seconded, regardless of how the Browns have done this season, he's a solid GM and sure as hell beats anything Ford Sr. has on his shortlist.
            lol, aren't they keeping all the same guys? thats incredibly sad if so....only the Lions.

Comment

Maybe the GM position was too much for Phil Savage.. he thought he could be like his mentor Ozzie Newsome, but I do agree that he is a very good talent evaluator... Maybe PR isnt his thing

Go Ravens!

Comment

Originally posted by jkpigskin View Post
                Maybe the GM position was too much for Phil Savage.. he thought he could be like his mentor Ozzie Newsome, but I do agree that he is a very good talent evaluator... Maybe PR isnt his thing
                maybe give him some good money to be strictly director of college scouting, draft who he tells you to draft, and then have someone else be an actual GM do the signings and managing.

kind of asinine but it'd maximize his role doing what he's kind of best at...

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3795786

Looks like they're cleaning house.

Comment

I don't get why people think Savage has done such an amazing job.

He threw a ton of money at Gary Baxter... He ended up hurt and did nothing.

He threw a ton of money at LeCharles Bentley, he ended up getting hurt and did nothing.

He threw a ton of money at Kevin Shaffer, he sucks horribly and is extremely overpaid.

He threw a ton of money at Stallworth, 7 years 35 million... PLEASE...

He refused to trade Derek Anderson for a first round pick, now were stuck with a backup QB that will take an 8 million cap hit if we can't do anything with him.
                    Come on, to say baxter and bentley were savage's fault is stupid.

Kevin Shaffer is an average tackle, and is really not as overpaid as so many Browns fans want to think, he really falls into line for what an average right tackle is paid.

Stallworth is not going to see anywhere close to 35 million. Remember before 2007 he signed a six-year deal worth $30 million with the pats? well, they didn't pick up the option for the second year and he wasn't paid that much. Same thing is going to happen here.

You cannot really fault him for Anderson, who knew what we had in Quinn and who knows now? He was coming off a great year, and the contract he signed was very reasonable. He even has one of those fancy bonuses due that the browns don't have to pick up, which makes him a free agent. Those reported trade offers of 1st round picks were very likely just a bunch of BS created by Savage to cover his ass, the fans wanted Quinn.

Comment

The firing of Savage will prove to be a disaster for Cleveland. Lerner paniced and gave into fan discontent and that always is bad for any franchise.
                      Lerner looks to be headed to the list of terrible owners who haven't a clue about how to build a winning franchise.
                      Cleveland finished last year at 10-4 in Savage's 3rd year on the job. He inherited a team that wasn't much better than Detroit's team this year after the Butch Davis' era. This season Cleveland faced the toughest schedule in the NFL bar none playing teams with over a .585 winning percentage and the young team buckled under the stress and injuries to their QB's.
                      This firing is pure and simply panic on Lerner's part and I believe will prove to be a disaster for this franchise.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                        The firing of Savage will prove to be a disaster for Cleveland. Lerner paniced and gave into fan discontent and that always is bad for any franchise.
                        Lerner looks to be headed to the list of terrible owners who haven't a clue about how to build a winning franchise.
                        6-10 4-12 10-6 4-12

What exactly has he done to earn his job?

Comment

Originally posted by Pb&j View Post
                          Come on, to say baxter and bentley were savage's fault is stupid.

Kevin Shaffer is an average tackle, and is really not as overpaid as so many Browns fans want to think, he really falls into line for what an average right tackle is paid.
                          Didn't, just said he overpaid for players and they ended up getting hurt.

Stallworth is not going to see anywhere close to 35 million. Remember before 2007 he signed a six-year deal worth $30 million with the pats? well, they didn't pick up the option for the second year and he wasn't paid that much. Same thing is going to happen here.
                          He still signed him to a deal that would have paid him that much and Stallworth hasn't done anything

You cannot really fault him for Anderson, who knew what we had in Quinn and who knows now? He was coming off a great year, and the contract he signed was very reasonable. He even has one of those fancy bonuses due that the browns don't have to pick up, which makes him a free agent. Those reported trade offers of 1st round picks were very likely just a bunch of BS created by Savage to cover his ass, the fans wanted Quinn.
                          If he didn't think Quinn was gonna be the real deal why did we trade a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick for him...

Comment

I dont think Cowher goes to Cleveland. If he does, not next season. I think he likes working only 1 day a week and being an analyst. If he were to come back, the only place I could have seen him go was to Carolina. But since Fox is no longer on the hot seat, he wont be going there.

Savage should go to Detroit to at least get some talent there.

Another direction the Browns should go is Marty. He would be a good GM and coach.

Comment

This from the local Cleveland sports guy (I'm visiting family back in Cleveland).

-The Browns will quickly interview a minority candidate (token interview yes, but at least they hired Crennel)

-They will then meet with Bill Cowher and offer him everything, expecting that he will very likely say no.

-They will then offer the GM position to Scott Pioli, who is very likely to say yes. He has Cleveland ties and everyone knows that he's ready to ge tout from Bellicheck's shadow. Pioli is then likely to look at Kirk Ferentz (also past experience with the Browns) or Josh McDaniels.

Some of it is obvious speculation, but the guy is the voice of the Browns and would probably know as well as anyone.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Didn't, just said he overpaid for players and they ended up getting hurt.

He still signed him to a deal that would have paid him that much and Stallworth hasn't done anything

If he didn't think Quinn was gonna be the real deal why did we trade a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick for him...

How exactly did he overpay for Gary Baxter and LeCharles Bentley? A starting cornerback isn't exactly cheap, but the contract we gave him was in line with other starting cornerbacks. And Bentley was legitimately one of, if not the best centers in the league before his injury. I just don't see how that is overpaying.

About stallworth's contract: he was never going to see the full seven years. That is the nature of contracts in the NFL. I could sign a 50 year, 100 billion dollar contract and receive nothing, depending on how the contract was written. Get over it. Why even worry about "overpaying"? Lerner is filthy rich, and he is the one paying, not you. And please do not claim season ticket prices, because I have been buying them since the return and the prices are some of the lowest in the leauge.

If we are sure about Brady Quinn because we spent a 1st and 2nd on him, are we also sure about Tim Couch because we spent a 1st overall on him?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information