X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BmoreBlackByrdz
    started a topic Browns Fire GM Savage

Browns Fire GM Savage

Profootballtalk reports that the Browns have already let go of Phil Savage.
    Savage won a power struggle with team president John Collins in 2005, Savage's first year on the job, and had Cleveland on the rise the next two years. After a highly aggressive offseason that included trading up for Brady Quinn in the 2007 draft, the Browns went 10-6 and Savage got a contract extension. However, this year's 4-12 flop coupled with Savage's PR blunders sealed his fate. Savage is still sure to resurface at a high position in another NFL front office. He's a good evaluator and respected by his peers. Dec. 28 - 5:23 pm et
    Source: Profootballtalk.com
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/28/savage-fired/

take it for what its worth. I wouldnt believe it until we can get some official confrimation.

IMO this wasnt a nessicary move. Savage can't coach the team, he can only provide the best players he can in his power and he did that, from then on its the head coaches responsibility. Crennel was more deserving of being fired. Oh and my apologies if this is in the wrong thread, just thought it was big enough news...

• robert pancake gallery
    replied
    Fred Savage's wonder years with the browns are over

Leave a comment:

• PoopSandwich
    replied
    Originally posted by Pb&j View Post
    Of course I do, I am just making a point that a draft pick is never certain, even with an investment in lots of picks.
    So you knew that Butch Davis was the GM who picked Tim Couch huh?

Thats funny because he didnt.

Leave a comment:

• PoopSandwich
    replied
    Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
    ????, you do know that Savage wasn't your GM when Couch was drafted along with all the other busts that Butch Davis drafted.
    Yeah you also know that Butch Davis wasn't the gm when we drafted Tim Couch?

You really don't need to inform me about the Browns man.

Leave a comment:

• Pb&j
    replied
    ????, you do know that Savage wasn't your GM when Couch was drafted along with all the other busts that Butch Davis drafted.
    Of course I do, I am just making a point that a draft pick is never certain, even with an investment in lots of picks.

Leave a comment:

• Smooth Criminal
    replied
    H...mmm, 3 of BB's coaches just got fired by their teams, Crennel, Weis and Mangini, so what makes McDaniels such a great hire.
    Weis didnt get fired?

And I think McDaniels could be a good HC, esspecially if the team gets Pioli. They have both worked with the Pats over the last few years and could try to bring that success to Cleveland.

Plus Cleveland has weapons on offense, despite finishing the last 6 games without a TD. I think McDaniels can turn them around.

Leave a comment:

• PACKmanN
    replied
    Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
    I think this may be the Browns' Coaching Staff for new year

HC: McDaniels
    OC: Mangurian
    DC: Patricia
    Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
    I think Mangini may have severed any ties to the Pats organization jumping ship to the hated Jets and then possibly being the one to expose the whole spy gate thing.

Maybe that has more to do will Bellichick but if it irked Pioli the wrong way as well, I doubt he finds a job with him.
    Oh snap, I forgot about Pioli. Edited^^^^

Leave a comment:

• BeerBaron
    replied
    Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post

DC: Mangini
    I think Mangini may have severed any ties to the Pats organization jumping ship to the hated Jets and then possibly being the one to expose the whole spy gate thing.

Maybe that has more to do will Bellichick but if it irked Pioli the wrong way as well, I doubt he finds a job with him.

Leave a comment:

• PACKmanN
    replied

DC: Mangini

Leave a comment:

• kalbears13
    replied
    Romeo is officially fired.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Leave a comment:

• Iamcanadian
    replied
    Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
    Mortensen reports Cowher told Lerner that he isn't interested in a coaching job in 2009.

Pioli is lined up for an interview for GM. If I'm the Browns I try to get Pioli and then McDaniels.
    H...mmm, 3 of BB's coaches just got fired by their teams, Crennel, Weis and Mangini, so what makes McDaniels such a great hire.

Leave a comment:

• Smooth Criminal
    replied
    Mortensen reports Cowher told Lerner that he isn't interested in a coaching job in 2009.

Pioli is lined up for an interview for GM. If I'm the Browns I try to get Pioli and then McDaniels.

Leave a comment:

• bigbluedefense
    replied
    Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
    This from the local Cleveland sports guy (I'm visiting family back in Cleveland).

-The Browns will quickly interview a minority candidate (token interview yes, but at least they hired Crennel)

-They will then meet with Bill Cowher and offer him everything, expecting that he will very likely say no.

-They will then offer the GM position to Scott Pioli, who is very likely to say yes. He has Cleveland ties and everyone knows that he's ready to ge tout from Bellicheck's shadow. Pioli is then likely to look at Kirk Ferentz (also past experience with the Browns) or Josh McDaniels.

Some of it is obvious speculation, but the guy is the voice of the Browns and would probably know as well as anyone.
    If McDaniels gets hired, my guess is he sticks with a 3-4. Id agree with that only bc Pioli is a 3-4 guy, and you really need a 3-4 GM to draft 3-4 players. its not easy finding players for the 3-4, so you really need a guy with experience to do that.

although i think they are better suited to run a 4-3 for the immediate future.

Leave a comment:

• Iamcanadian
    replied
    Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
    I would hope that we would have been pretty damn sure about Tim Couch at #1 overall... I hope we didn't just pick his name out of a straw.

Leave a comment:

• PoopSandwich
    replied
    I would hope that we would have been pretty damn sure about Tim Couch at #1 overall... I hope we didn't just pick his name out of a straw.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information