Donovan McNabb... in the HOF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donovan McNabb... in the HOF?

I know these things are gonna get kind of old after a while when people just put [insert player name][insert question and question mark] but I feel like McNabb almost has a shot at being a Hall of Famer. Living in the Philadelphia area, I feel like McNabb is greatly underappreciated.

He was drafted in 1999 over Ricky Williams which started the whole thing but he has given the Philadelphia area some consistency, whether they appreciate it or not. You could say the same things you do about Big Ben on how his defense led the team some of these years. Fact is, Andy Reid has drawn up 60 percent passing plays in the last 5 years.

- He is the Eagles' all-time leader in career wins, pass attempts, pass completions, passing yards, and passing touchdowns
    - Four consecutive NFC East division championships (2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004)
    - Five NFC Championship Games (1-4) Joined Ken Stabler (Raiders), Jim Kelly (Bills) and Troy Aikman (Cowboys), in 2004, as the only QBs since 1970 to take their teams to four or more consecutive conference championship games.
    - A Super Bow birth (L to the Pats)
    - 194 TDs: 90 INTs (Third Best all time ratio[2.16] behind Brady and Young)
    - 29,320 Passing yards
    - 58.9 Completion percentage
    - 85.9 QB Rating
    - In his first full season as a NFL starter in 2000, McNabb finished second in the Associated Press MVP voting (24-11) to St. Louis RB Marshall Faulk, who set the NFL record for most TDs scored in a season.
    - Forget the TO controversy, TO carries it everywhere, thats apparent.
    - Limited Weapons
    - Became the first player in NFL history to finish a season with 30+ TD passes (31) and fewer than 10 INTs (8) in 2004
    - Became the 4th-fastest QB in NFL history to reach the 50-win plateau in just 71 starts, vs. Bal. (10/31/04)
    - One of 6 players in NFL history to have amassed over 25,000 passing yards (29,320) and 3,000 rushing yards (3,109)
    - NFC Pro Bowl squad - 2001-05

They were debating this on the local news last night here. The consensus is if he were to stop playing right now, he would not be. But, 5 more years of production, he would have to be atleast considered. He doesnt have a ring or an MVP award so if he were to get either in the next 4-5 years, does he have a legitimate shot?

I'm generally not a McNabb supporter, or Eagle supporter at that but I found this interesting because if he were to win a Super Bowl then I would consider him having a solid chance at the HOF. Figured it was the offseason and there really isnt anything else to talk about so if a mod thinks it should be in the team forum then by all means move it.

No, not to me. Good to great Quarterback, depending on the day.

He needs to do more for me to even consider it.
    | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

He has had a great career. Winning a championship would definitely help his chances for the HoF.

Comment

I think he's been a better quarterback than some of those in the hall, but he hasn't been a more successful one and it seems like these days to get in you need a shiny ring or two.

That being said McNabb has a chance at getting a ring in a few years, he might get one with Philly and he might get one somewhere else, whatever the case he's a top 10 NFL QB and I don't think he's ever been out of that category his whole career.

I think he should get in, if his production continues along the same path.

Comment

He's well on his way if he continues at this pace for a few more seasons. His production is impressive enough alone where I don't think he necessarily needs a ring or two to solidify his HOF status.

Comment

u think he is gonna remember to wear a tie if he is inducted?

Comment

The only thing that would end the debate is if he gets a championship ring. If he does then he's definitely in. Without it, if his career were to end today, then I think he could get in, but it would be after a long, long time.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
              -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
              Originally posted by Borat
              Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

If his career ended today, he's in. He wouldn't be a 1st ballot hall of famer but he is in. There have not been many QB's to come into the league with that amount of consistency for an entire decade. Look at some of his receivers(If you can call them that) that he's had to work with:Freddie(Fred X) Mitchell, Todd Pinkston, Greg Lewis(How is he in the NFL?), James Thrash, Chad Lewis, Kevin Curtis, etc, etc.

It's an absolute joke that the Eagles don't realize that for the past 9 years or so they've been a legitimate WR away from potentially winning a super bowl. The one time they went out and got him one(T.O.) they made a great run together but things didn't work out. So what do they do, go out and draft/sign a bunch of #3 wr's Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and Desean jackson. If he doesn't make the H.O.F. the eagles are directly to blame.

Comment

The hall of fame is watered down too much already. He has had a pretty good career, but the Hall of Fame is for the best players of all time.

Comment

I like McNabb a lot, one of my favorite QBs in the game, but if it ended today I think you'd be hard pressed to make a case for him getting in.

A few more years of solid to good production and I don't know, maybe. I hope he does get in. No matter what he's been through he has handled himself with dignity and class. There are worse choices for the HoF.

Originally posted by fenikz
                    His soft D really turns me off
                    ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

If he can keep on accumulating numbers and wins himself a ring or two he'll get in, if not he'll get consideration but ultimately never get in.

Comment

He is not a HOF'er now. I don't even consider it.

Maybe if he adds a ring and/or MVP, then maybe.

Comment

I think Mcnabb's done more with less than any QB that comes to mind. I am not even a Mcnabb or Eagles fan infact I hate the Eagles and the majority of their fans. Obviously his career won't end today so lets stop bringing that up. Just assume he plays a few more seasons with the same statistical output. Is he in? I think absolutely because he would have stats right up there with someone like Steve Young. I realize Steve has a few SB's under his belt, but he also had the plessure of throwing to the best WR of all time. You gotta think if you replace kevin curtis with jerry rice, mcnabb would do exactly the same.

Comment

No no no no no no no. Not every single good player can be in the Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by msolimani View Post
                              I think Mcnabb's done more with less than any QB that comes to mind. I am not even a Mcnabb or Eagles fan infact I hate the Eagles and the majority of their fans. Obviously his career won't end today so lets stop bringing that up. Just assume he plays a few more seasons with the same statistical output. Is he in? I think absolutely because he would have stats right up there with someone like Steve Young. I realize Steve has a few SB's under his belt, but he also had the plessure of throwing to the best WR of all time. You gotta think if you replace kevin curtis with jerry rice, mcnabb would do exactly the same.
                              His career could very well be over today, it's not like the man hasn't had serious injuries before, say he blows his knee out first week of the season and isn't good to return until half way through the season where he's struggling and Kolb is coming on strong. He'd be coming off a vicious injury, old and looking for a new team.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information