Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packers moving Kampman to outside linebacker

Packers moving Kampman to outside linebacker

As the Green Bay Packers' defense transitions to the 3-4 alignment under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers, defensive end Aaron Kampman is moving to outside linebacker, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports.

Kampman, who has registered 37 sacks in the past three seasons as a 4-3 left defensive end, seems suited to become a 3-4 outside linebacker at 6-foot-4, 265 pounds.

"When we line up the first base defense, yes, Aaron will be an outside linebacker," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "Aaron Kampman knows how to rush the passer and the first responsibility for the outside linebacker position in the base personnel is to rush the passer. Aaron Kampman is going to be an excellent fit for what we're going to try to do as we move forward with this new scheme."

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Kampman has an excellent role model to learn from in outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene, who played the same position or the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Carolina Panthers.

"Obviously we've got some good players on this defense so we're going to put them in position to be better," Greene said. "And we have no plans to harm anybody. We have plans to make everybody better and play at a higher level. Aaron has the skills to play the position."

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
    Packers moving Kampman to outside linebacker

As the Green Bay Packers' defense transitions to the 3-4 alignment under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers, defensive end Aaron Kampman is moving to outside linebacker, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports.

Kampman, who has registered 37 sacks in the past three seasons as a 4-3 left defensive end, seems suited to become a 3-4 outside linebacker at 6-foot-4, 265 pounds.

"When we line up the first base defense, yes, Aaron will be an outside linebacker," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "Aaron Kampman knows how to rush the passer and the first responsibility for the outside linebacker position in the base personnel is to rush the passer. Aaron Kampman is going to be an excellent fit for what we're going to try to do as we move forward with this new scheme."

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Kampman has an excellent role model to learn from in outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene, who played the same position or the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Carolina Panthers.

"Obviously we've got some good players on this defense so we're going to put them in position to be better," Greene said. "And we have no plans to harm anybody. We have plans to make everybody better and play at a higher level. Aaron has the skills to play the position."
    I didn't know the Packers hired Greene. He's been in Steelers camp the last few seasons working with our OLBs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpnxVrT8Js

Comment

Doesn't surprise me, it's the only place he would fit in a 3-4.

Comment

I see Mike Vrabel-like things in his future.

Comment

We all know he can rush the passer, that's not really the question mark here....
          Originally posted by SNIPER26
          fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
            We all know he can rush the passer, that's not really the question mark here....
            Like what happens when he is needed to cover? I'm sure Kampman can play there, but I qill question his effectiveness in coverage. Those coverage responsibilities are tough for a De to learn, even if they are physically capable of doing it. I'm sure Kampman will do fine as a pass rusher, but thats not the only thing OLBs do in a 3-4, though it is a major part of their responsibilities.
            Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

That's probably the only place he can play in that defense so good move.
              Originally posted by 49erNation85
              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                Like what happens when he is needed to cover? I'm sure Kampman can play there, but I qill question his effectiveness in coverage. Those coverage responsibilities are tough for a De to learn, even if they are physically capable of doing it. I'm sure Kampman will do fine as a pass rusher, but thats not the only thing OLBs do in a 3-4, though it is a major part of their responsibilities.
                I'm not too worried. Kampman has always been terrific against the run (these last three years his pass-rushing has really come around, but before that he was our elite run stuffer) and has underrated athleticism. Plus he has a superb motor and work ethic, so I really don't see him having trouble. They'll probably keep him almost exclusively as a pass and run rusher and his coverage will be limited to shallow zones or check-down coverage.

Nick Barnett and AJ Hawk are both very speedy guys at ILB so they can take care of difficult TE assignments and such.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

Is there any particular reason why is this is in the NFL forum and not in the Packers team forum?

Comment

Grinch Unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      Is there any particular reason why is this is in the NFL forum and not in the Packers team forum?
                      We talked about it so much in our team forum the last month or so that it was only a matter of time before this spiller over. ;)

I'm curious as to how he's gonna do.

Comment

Kampman certainly is not a 3-4 DE, so the move to OLB makes sense. I think he is a good enough athlete and Kevin Greene was likely brought in to really help Kampman make the transition. I think he can be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                          I see Mike Vrabel-like things in his future.
                          Touchdown catches in the Super Bowl?? I wish I was as optimistic as you.

Comment

I didn't know Kevin Greene was coaching the linebackers out there. That's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              If this thread was posted in the Packers forum it would be locked or merged. We've known this for a while and have been talking about it for even longer.

Anyways. I have my doubts on if it will be worth it too because he was such a good 3-4 DE, but his ability to handle the responsibilities of a linebacker shouldn't be a big issue. He was a LB all of high school and his first two years at Iowa. He started 11 games at middle linebacker as a sophomore and had 103 tackles.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information