• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splat
    started a topic Packers moving Kampman to outside linebacker

Packers moving Kampman to outside linebacker

Packers moving Kampman to outside linebacker

As the Green Bay Packers' defense transitions to the 3-4 alignment under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers, defensive end Aaron Kampman is moving to outside linebacker, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports.

Kampman, who has registered 37 sacks in the past three seasons as a 4-3 left defensive end, seems suited to become a 3-4 outside linebacker at 6-foot-4, 265 pounds.

"When we line up the first base defense, yes, Aaron will be an outside linebacker," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "Aaron Kampman knows how to rush the passer and the first responsibility for the outside linebacker position in the base personnel is to rush the passer. Aaron Kampman is going to be an excellent fit for what we're going to try to do as we move forward with this new scheme."

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Kampman has an excellent role model to learn from in outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene, who played the same position or the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Carolina Panthers.

"Obviously we've got some good players on this defense so we're going to put them in position to be better," Greene said. "And we have no plans to harm anybody. We have plans to make everybody better and play at a higher level. Aaron has the skills to play the position."

• GB12
    replied
    Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
    because he would be a LB and LB have different Numbers.

Harrison didnt play as much as Kampman though. so even if he is the same age, he didnt take as much punishment
    The NFL does not usually make players change their number if they've made a position change. See Deving Hester.

Also I remember an interview where he was asked about his number. He was asked why he wore #74, which is unusual even for a DE. He said that it was the number assigned to him for training camp as a rookie. He said that he's had opportunities to change to a 90's number, but since that's the number he came up with he has no desire to switch it. I doubt a move to LB is going to change his mind on that.

Leave a comment:

• Gay Ork Wang
    replied
    because he would be a LB and LB have different Numbers.

Harrison didnt play as much as Kampman though. so even if he is the same age, he didnt take as much punishment

Leave a comment:

• GB12
    replied
    He'll keep 74. Why would he change it?

Leave a comment:

• PACKmanN
    replied
    he had 54 in College so I guess he will wear 94.

Leave a comment:

• Nitschke-Hawk
    replied
    I haven't seen anybody speculate or even ask this question, its not a big deal though: I wonder are they gonna change his number? It's 74. I guarantee nobody has a for sure answer on this.

Leave a comment:

• PACKmanN
    replied
    its his contract year so its likly he will not be back, if he doesn't like the switch. Harrison is 30 right now and is expected to be resigned by the Steelers for a longer deal.

Leave a comment:

• Gay Ork Wang
    replied
    in 2 years he is like 31-32, thats pretty old for a DE, especially for a 3-4 OLB

Leave a comment:

• PACKmanN
    replied
    because the packers wont get a lot of good pieces together for a couple of years. he he has to switch position although he averages 12 sacks the last three years. if i were him, id ask to be traded to a contender.
    I wouldn't say a couple of years, it all depends on what this team does in the off-season. Right now we need 2 DEs, 1 NT, 2 OLBs, and Barnett to be traded. Barnett should be the one depending a trade.

What they could do is;
    DE: Cullen Jenkins, Chris Baker*
    NT: B.J. Raji*, Ryan Pickett
    DE: Justin Harrell, Darryl Richard*
    OLB: Brady Poppinga, Brandon Williams*/Lawrence Sidbury, Jr.*/Cody Brown*
    ILB: Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar
    ILB: A.J. Hawk, Desmond Bishop, Danny Lansanah
    OLB: Aaron Kampman, Robert Ayers*(want him on the Packers!!!)

possible free agents could be Kevin Carter, Shaun Cody, Tank Johnson, John Thornton, and for a moment I will dream, Terrell Suggs.

It won't take a couple of years. 2 years is my guess.
    Last edited by PACKmanN; 02-13-2009, 05:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NY+Giants=NYG
    replied
    Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
    didn't Jim Johnson's defense run a zone?
    They may once and a while and even if that. I think our defense was an exact copy of their defense. So I am guessing man coverage with lots of QB pressure. Zone doens't make sense because QBs can have a window to get it out. But Cbs in press coverage would make it very tough for QBs to even want to throw it risking a pick.

Leave a comment:

• Gay Ork Wang
    replied
    Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
    Kampman is still getting paid. He isnt that kind of guy either. Not everyone is Chad Johnson. People are willing to change for the better of the team even if that means personal sacrfices. Kampman is going to be after the passer with more room to work with.

Why would you demand a trade if you were him?
    because the packers wont get a lot of good pieces together for a couple of years. he he has to switch position although he averages 12 sacks the last three years. if i were him, id ask to be traded to a contender.

Leave a comment:

• tjsunstein
    replied
    Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
    I think he mixed it up alot this year and I'm just going off of the very few games I watched. I remember the majority Samuel's picks being in some kind of zone. Shocking could give you a more informed answer though.

Leave a comment:

• PACKmanN
    replied
    Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
    Yeah I'd hope for their sake they mix it up well and not be a zone coverage team. We tried running the hybrid nonsense with Tim lewis and basically ran a zone coverage scheme and that was why we had the label of worst secondary. Then we switched systems and all of a sudden that all went away.

ISO would be what I'd use, but I want to know how many defensive fronts they use to be sure. I know our bread and butter running play is Power G. So I wouldn't mind seeing that against their front with our line. Until year 2 or even year 3, I don't have confidence in the Packers in getting the right peices for that system. I'd be curious to see how their OLBs do in space specifically Kampman. So there are alot of question marks still.

Leave a comment:

• tjsunstein
    replied
    idk but if i were kampman id demand a trade.
    Kampman is still getting paid. He isnt that kind of guy either. Not everyone is Chad Johnson. People are willing to change for the better of the team even if that means personal sacrfices. Kampman is going to be after the passer with more room to work with.

Why would you demand a trade if you were him?

Leave a comment:

• Gay Ork Wang
    replied
    idk but if i were kampman id demand a trade.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information