2006 draft - bad year to look for a DB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
    When a former player with potential is cut for being a bust everyone thinks that their team can bring him in and he'll play up to his potential.

Fixed. Anyone with any kind of potential gets clamored for here and most other places. Everyone loves the low risk/high reward, but it always gets like that.

Comment

Cromartie was atrocious in 2008, but it's tough to give him the "always going for a big play" knock; most of the time he was just trailing because QBs had ten seconds to sit in the pocket. He also fractured his hip in week 2.

Whitner is a beast, Huff played for the Raiders, I like JJ, and haven't seen quite enough of jennings or allen to make a real call. All of them are young and terrific athletes though, tough to close the book.

Comment

When a former first rounder is cut for being a bust everyone thinks that their team can bring him in and he'll play up to his potential.
        Marc Colombo was a former first rounder who was brought in for his ability in a low risk high reward scenario. We just signed him to a big money extension.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
          Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee reports that the Raiders are "likely" to release safety Michael Huff this offseason. In his article, Jones states that Huff anticipates this move.

Link

The 2006 draft was the year of Michael Huff, Jason Allen and Tye Hill in the draft. Donte Whitner also came out of that draft. However most of these defensive backs turned out poorly.

#7 Michael Huff
          #8 Donte Whitner
          #16 Jason Allen
          #19 Antonio Cromartie
          #24 Johnathan Joseph
          #31 Kelly Jennings

Huff and Allen seem to be failed experiments. Everyone jumped on Cromartie like a predictable route last year, but he showed that he has a LONG ways to go in learning how to actually cover a guy after the 2008 season. I haven't really heard much from either Joseph or Jennings. My understanding was that Jennings isn't a total bust but that he certainly hasn't been great. Joseph dealt with injury issues all year this past year.
          For someone who wasn't expected to go as high, Whitner has had a solid season.

Comment

You guys can add New Orleans to that list :)

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
              Jason Allen was such a stud in college. Sucks that the he hasn't worked out in the pros as much as I thought he would.
              Does any one remember the guy that came to the forum before the 2006 draft that would say that Jason Allen was sooooo awesome? Any time someone mentioned something bad about Allen, he would dispute it and argue about it.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

The Niners already brought in Jimmy Williams though so I don't see it happening.
                Originally posted by 49erNation85
                I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                  Does any one remember the guy that came to the forum before the 2006 draft that would say that Jason Allen was sooooo awesome? Any time someone mentioned something bad about Allen, he would dispute it and argue about it.
                  It wasn't me! I swear!
                  Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                  RIP themaninblack

Comment

Jonathan Joseph is really good he's just dealt with injuries a lot.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                    Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

Originally posted by themaninblack View Post
                      Jonathan Joseph is really good he's just dealt with injuries a lot.
                      His hands are also subpar, though they have improved slightly. They were downright awful his rookie season.

Comment

Originally posted by VDM
                        Jason Allen was such a stud in college. Sucks that the he hasn't worked out in the pros as much as I thought he would.
                        Damn you Leonard Pope!!! Dream killa!!! Por que?!

Also, Cortland Finnegan was taken in the '06 draft, so his awesomeness makes up for everyone else's sucktitude. It's ok though, cuz there is no charge for awesomeness. Or else we'd all be in debt to Finny. And that'd be bad for bidness.
                        Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                        Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                        Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Off topic but how good was the 2003 draft for CBs.
                          Terrence Newman
                          Marcus Trufant
                          Nnamdi Asomugha
                          CharlesTillman
                          Rashean Mathis
                          Terrence McGee
                          Asante Samuel
                          Ike Taylor

Comment

yeah, that was a decent year.

Comment

When a former first rounder is cut for being a bust everyone thinks that their team can bring him in and he'll play up to his potential.
                              Not that teams think they can bring out his potential, it's just that top 10 picks(or 1st rounders for that matter) that are cut are ALWAYS worth a 2nd chance somewhere especially since they are relatively cheap...Hall was getting torched in Oakland but he went to Washington and was playing pretty good football.

I'm sorry but when a guy bust in Oakland, I'm willing to give him a 2nd shot to see what he can do...Huff is still a 4.3 guy who can play every position in the secondary, so you can see why teams would be interested.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                                yeah. the dude swore up and down that allen would be a top ten pick or something and the greatest safety ever. nothing made me happier than when allen was abysmal as a rookie and when that dude never posted again.
                                You remember his name by any chance, njx?
                                Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                                Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                                Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information