Rumor: Jets and Lions in Trade Talk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frogstomp View Post
    Cotchery is already a legitimate compliment. The only reason we should get a WR early is if we feel Coles really will retire soon.
    Why would Coles retire when he just had a really good season, and doesn't look like he's lost his speed? CJ has size & speed, many teams will want to double team him leaving Cotchery & Coles in single coverage.
    INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

Comment

• Originally posted by IndyColtScout View Post
      Why would Coles retire when he just had a really good season, and doesn't look like he's lost his speed? CJ has size & speed, many teams will want to double team him leaving Cotchery & Coles in single coverage.
      He took a real beating, and he doesn't know if his body can hold up.

Comment

• Originally posted by familyguy555 View Post
        why dont post if your gonna be an pessimist. its PERFECT for both teams like its been said many times in this thread...go away
        Why do I post? Because these rumours are a dime a dozen and almost never pan out. Multi player trades are a rarity in the NFL and you have to consider salary cap space.

And it would be stupid for the Lions to trade down 23 spots just so they can get Jonathan Vilma, a very nice player, but no Ray Lewis or LT Sr.

Comment

• I don't really think this trade will happen either, oddly enough not because of the Jets but the Lions. I think they will simply not be able to pull the trigger on a move from #2 all the way down to #25.

Comment

• Wow. The last two posts have said that this would be a bad trade for the Lions.

I ask the posters... HOW!? Millen and Marinelli want a stud, "vetran" MLB for the defense, and Vilma is an incredible player. To get a player NEAR his level in the draft (or entire offseason), they'd have to take Willis in round 1.

So, the Lions could find a way to draft Willis in round 1, an unproven player but great prospect, then go about the rest of the draft as planned (with 1 second round pick [2 if they trade down]), OR they can make this trade, get their MLB of the future (a proven leader and BEAST), still have a 1st round pick and have TWO second round picks.

Believe me... this trade is perfect for the Lions. The only reason as to why this trade should NOT be had is if the Jets think Vilma can eventually work in their defense.
            Left NFLDC: 20080918.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionSmack View Post
              I don't really think this trade will happen either, oddly enough not because of the Jets but the Lions. I think they will simply not be able to pull the trigger on a move from #2 all the way down to #25.
              that wont be the reason, theyll have no qualms with moving back to #25, they solve a HUGE need with an elite MLB and this is a very deep DE class, theyd also pick up another 2nd rounder so that would cancel out the reasons for not wanting to move down.

There really is no reason for either team to not pursue this deal.

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21

Comment

• Originally posted by eacantdraft View Post
                Why do I post? Because these rumours are a dime a dozen and almost never pan out. Multi player trades are a rarity in the NFL and you have to consider salary cap space.

And it would be stupid for the Lions to trade down 23 spots just so they can get Jonathan Vilma, a very nice player, but no Ray Lewis or LT Sr.
                Vilma is the closest thing to Ray Lewis, and moving down 23 spots wont matter all to much b/c theyll still be taking a DE and, once again, this is a very deep DE class

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21

Comment

• If the Lions accepted the deal, they would have the oppurtunity to draft a young CB to help their D even more. If the trade were to happen, the Lions would have added the DE they were looking for, the MLB they needed, and the young CB they've been looking for (and we haven't even entered the 2nd round yet). I think Millen should do it. Vilma & Sims would be sick. They might even go Joe Staley if he's available & then CB in early 2nd. This trade would open up a lot of options that weren't there before.
                  INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

Comment

• (to smitty and the other Lions guys)

Yeah, but you guys are forgetting the way the Lions have relied on the PR boost of a big-name pick to ease the fanbase's annual anger and disgust. Also I think Millen is a believer in solving problems with impact draft picks. Now, Marinelli is more of an overall-program guy, as shown by last year's pick of Sims instead of Leinart. Maybe, if the franchise is really going to operate more in that patient way, a move like this could be made, but I still think that for this year, they want to stay in the top 10 and won't move down to #25 unless they were getting the steal of all time.

Comment

If the Lions accepted the deal, they would have the oppurtunity to draft a young CB to help their D even more. If the trade were to happen, the Lions would have added the DE they were looking for, the MLB they needed, and the young CB they've been looking for (and we haven't even entered the 2nd round yet). I think Millen should do it. Vilma & Sims would be sick. They might even go Joe Staley if he's available & then CB in early 2nd. This trade would open up a lot of options that weren't there before.
                      I think the Lions are still looking for a stud DE, but that player can be found with one first and two second round picks. I hope that DE, CB and S are the focuses of the first two rounds, but, if Stanton falls to round 2, they'll take him there.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionSmack View Post
                        (to smitty and the other Lions guys)

Yeah, but you guys are forgetting the way the Lions have relied on the PR boost of a big-name pick to ease the fanbase's annual anger and disgust. Also I think Millen is a believer in solving problems with impact draft picks. Now, Marinelli is more of an overall-program guy, as shown by last year's pick of Sims instead of Leinart. Maybe, if the franchise is really going to operate more in that patient way, a move like this could be made, but I still think that for this year, they want to stay in the top 10 and won't move down to #25 unless they were getting the steal of all time.
                        Getting Vilma for the defense and STILL having a 1st round pick (and two 2nd round picks) may be the steal of all time.

The trade would be priceless for the Lions, and would give the Jets whichever stud they'd like... as Peterson and CJ will be dominant.

Comment

• Originally posted by TacticaLion View Post
                          Getting Vilma for the defense and STILL having a 1st round pick (and two 2nd round picks) may be the steal of all time.

The trade would be priceless for the Lions, and would give the Jets whichever stud they'd like... as Peterson and CJ will be dominant.
                          Or 3 2nd rounders, depending on if we give you #25 or #37.

Comment

• Originally posted by jetsfan3 View Post
                            Or 3 2nd rounders, depending on if we give you #25 or #37.
                            Nah... we'll take your #25 and your second. Moving from #25 to #2 for only your first and second is insane... and, if you're willing to trade Vilma, your admitting that he doesn't fit the defense. So, for you, if Vilma doesn't fit, the trade is a steal. He will fit for us, so it works well for both.

Comment

• Originally posted by TacticaLion View Post
                              Nah... we'll take your #25 and your second. Moving from #25 to #2 for only your first and second is insane... and, if you're willing to trade Vilma, your admitting that he doesn't fit the defense. So, for you, if Vilma doesn't fit, the trade is a steal. He will fit for us, so it works well for both.
                              I'm not sold on Vilma not fitting yet, he would be an excellent player with a solid NT, but just nothing what he could be in a 4-3. Vilma on the Lions is better than anyone you can draft.

Comment

Coles actually stated in January that he believes he may retire soon because he takes a beating and training camp takes a toll on him.

"At this point I'm starting to realize, with the way I'm feeling, that I'm getting pretty close to the end"

Here's a link.

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player/3388

He probably has around 2 or 3 years left I'd guess, which is enough time for Calvin to develop if he needs any time. If not, CJ is an immediate spark for our offense and when Coles retires we have a fairly polished elite #1 receiver and a very solid #2 who we just locked up for another 5 years in Cotchery. I've said it a couple times in this thread, a trade up for CJ makes enough sense that you cannot assume that the trade will be for Peterson. And I would not be surprised if Tangini fell in love with the guy and decided that he's the guy they want on this team, what is there not to like about Calvin Johnson?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information