Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rumor: Jets and Lions in Trade Talk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by GREENSMACKS View Post
    If the jets do this its for Calvin johnson. Why would the Jets give up their first rounder and Vilma for AP when they can give up their first and third rounder for Turner. . I would think the Jets value vilma more so than a 3rd round pick. The Jets OC worked with Turner in SD and the Jets have interest so Turner's production isnt a fluke. Also i would even venture to guess with Coles bitching about working hard toward the end of the season, and the Lions need WR help, why not offer vilma, coles and a 3rd round pick for the top pick? Grab CJ
    Lions don't need WR help.. We have Roy Williams, Mike Furrey, and they're probably going to sign Kevin Curtis.. In the coaching staff's eyes, they're set... If we needed WR help, we'd just stay at 2 and take Calvin Johnson.

    Comment


    • In terms of value it is fine. Its the only way a team can justify trading in the top 3 in a draft is for a elite QB or a once in a generation player, Peterson doesn't fit the bill. On that logic, Russell, Quinn and Johnson are the only onnes worth that weight in gold. Thats why I'm against the Cardinals trading up for Thomas. This would have shades of the Ricky Williams deal, just with the addition of Peterson being injury prone.

      As a Cardinals fan though, this trade is perfect. It would all but guarentee Thomas at 5.
      Originally posted by nobodyinparticular
      #1--Russell I can't be too disappointed in this pick because he is, realistically, a huge upgrade (in the same way that the Great Wall of China would be a huge upgrade over the fence in my backyard) over Andrew Walter.

      Comment


      • I know that Vilma hasn't done very well in the 3-4 system, but still, to me this seems like way to high of a price to pay for the Jets just to fill a need (RB) that historically isn't all that hard to fill.

        If true, Lions get the better end of the deal.

        Comment


        • Sunday, March 04, 2007
          DAVE HUTCHINSON
          Star-Ledger Staff

          Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum has said he'll be patient in free agency. The team is currently around $15 million under the salary cap. There are rumors the Jets may look to trade up in the draft to select a top-tier running back but that seems unlikely because the price would be steep and Tannenbaum insists he wants to build through the draft.


          ^thats exactly what ive been saying, but i guess its clear i have no idea what im talking about right?

          Comment


          • I'm still not convinced that the Jets would be trading up for AD, I could be completely off here but Johnson is still a real possibility in my eyes. Vilma, a first, and a second for a slightly injury prone guy is a lot, because as great a player as Peterson is he still is a risk. I don't want anybody to misinterpret this because I do think he is by far the best back in the draft, but he does come with risks. Johnson is less of a risk for the Jets to trade up for, and could make sense. He's a high character guy who has the potential to be the best at his position. To add to that, we extended Cotchery who is a good player but in reality a good number 2 receiver in the NFL, not a number one. Coles is a good WR but has alluded to a possible retirement after all of the years of going down the middle and tough training camps. Calvin could be a part of a very good 3 WR receiving corps and by the time he is ready to be a #1 he could either step in and have Coles and Cotchery bump down or could step in once LC retires. I'm more doing this to play devils advocate than anything else but I still don't think that the Jets taking AD if they do make this trade is a lock by any stretch of the imagination.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by 'cuse-213 View Post
              Sunday, March 04, 2007
              DAVE HUTCHINSON
              Star-Ledger Staff

              Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum has said he'll be patient in free agency. The team is currently around $15 million under the salary cap. There are rumors the Jets may look to trade up in the draft to select a top-tier running back but that seems unlikely because the price would be steep and Tannenbaum insists he wants to build through the draft.


              ^thats exactly what ive been saying, but i guess its clear i have no idea what im talking about right?

              It's tough to trust the Ledger all the time, they do have some idea of what they're talking about sometimes but they're completely off at others. I read that this morning but just because the Star-Ledger says it I wouldn't exactly believe that it's a guarantee that the Jets don't trade up. Plus, if the Jets feel that Vilma is not a good fit for the 3-4 defense, the price is not actually that steep. It's a player who is not a good fit in your scheme, a first rounder, and a second rounder, for the number two pick. And if the Jets do make this trade, they obviously don't believe that Vilma is a good fit in their scheme and feel that his potential to improve is not that high.

              Comment


              • seems like a perfect fit, AD has injury concerns so i dont see him getting bulk of the load, and washington played great and is a different style runner then AD so i can see them splittingg carries





                Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                  It's tough to trust the Ledger all the time, they do have some idea of what they're talking about sometimes but they're completely off at others. I read that this morning but just because the Star-Ledger says it I wouldn't exactly believe that it's a guarantee that the Jets don't trade up. Plus, if the Jets feel that Vilma is not a good fit for the 3-4 defense, the price is not actually that steep. It's a player who is not a good fit in your scheme, a first rounder, and a second rounder, for the number two pick. And if the Jets do make this trade, they obviously don't believe that Vilma is a good fit in their scheme and feel that his potential to improve is not that high.
                  right, but i was stated earlier that i have no idea what im talking about. just shedding some light.

                  Comment


                  • Why don't they just move up to grab Lynch? It would cost waaaay less than AD and you're still getting a massive improvement at RB.

                    Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
                    Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by 'cuse-213 View Post
                      right, but i was stated earlier that i have no idea what im talking about. just shedding some light.
                      No, I read your posts and they do make sense, a trade down would make more sense than a trade up for us because we are a rebuilding team with a below average talent level and we have a ton of needs. That said trading Vilma in a trade up is not that much really if we don't think he's a good fit for the scheme. But you were pretty much on point with most of the stuff you said, all I was saying was that you have to take that newspaper article for what its worth.

                      Anybody else think the Jets could actually be trading up for Johnson first with Peterson as more of a backup plan? The more and more I think of it, the more I'm a little skeptical about a trade up for AD.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                        No, I read your posts and they do make sense, a trade down would make more sense than a trade up for us because we are a rebuilding team with a below average talent level and we have a ton of needs. That said trading Vilma in a trade up is not that much really if we don't think he's a good fit for the scheme. But you were pretty much on point with most of the stuff you said, all I was saying was that you have to take that newspaper article for what its worth.

                        Anybody else think the Jets could actually be trading up for Johnson first with Peterson as more of a backup plan? The more and more I think of it, the more I'm a little skeptical about a trade up for AD.
                        Calvin would be perfect for Pennington's game. A big target like him over the middle is an easy hit for Pennington.

                        But then when I think about it, Calvin is perferct for every QB.

                        Comment


                        • This trade is just not going to happen.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by eacantdraft View Post
                            This trade is just not going to happen.
                            why dont post if your gonna be an pessimist. its PERFECT for both teams like its been said many times in this thread...go away

                            sig made by BoneKrusher

                            Comment


                            • I actually think NYJ should make this deal. The Jets got Thomas, Kassell, Shlegal, Barton, Hobson, besides Vilma at LB. The Jets would probably want to go out & get a guy like Porter before they make a deal like this. Vilma is a great player, but I think the NYJ could handle his loss. Besides, Mangini is a Mangenius. He will have the D in order. Peterson + Washington would be a dangerous 1-2 combo. If NYJ decided to go CJ, that would give Coles a legit compliment to keep double teams off of him. CJ would help Cotchery & Baker too. I think NYJ should make this deal.
                              INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by IndyColtScout View Post
                                I actually think NYJ should make this deal. The Jets got Thomas, Kassell, Shlegal, Barton, Hobson, besides Vilma at LB. The Jets would probably want to go out & get a guy like Porter before they make a deal like this. Vilma is a great player, but I think the NYJ could handle his loss. Besides, Mangini is a Mangenius. He will have the D in order. Peterson + Washington would be a dangerous 1-2 combo. If NYJ decided to go CJ, that would give Coles a legit compliment to keep double teams off of him. CJ would help Cotchery & Baker too. I think NYJ should make this deal.
                                Cotchery is already a legitimate compliment. The only reason we should get a WR early is if we feel Coles really will retire soon.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information