Julius Peppers in the 3-4 Scheme??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
    I wouldn't trust him in the 3-4. There isn't much precedent for a 6'8 280+ linebacker. I'm not saying he couldn't do it, but there's some things working against him. Peppers is an absolutely freaky athlete who would probably be lethal in a hybrid scheme, but the entire massive 3-4 outside linebacker thing just hasn't been done before. He actually PROJECTS well to it. He's been in coverage a lot for a 4-3 end. Nasty speed and power as well. But I would have to see it before I could believe it. Been saying the same thing about Michael Johnson.
    he uses his body well.

that's all that there is too it, for his size, he leverages and adjusts and speeds as necessary... put him in a 3-4 with someone blocking for him? try adjusting to a scheme.
    http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
    For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

I've been thinking about a Kampman - Peppers trade for awhile now. Makes sense for a lot of parties.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

First off, I don't think he wants to play the Ellis role in the 34. He sees James Harrison, Joey Porter, Demarcus Ware and others putting up numbers in that rush linebacker spot and he knows he is more athletic than all of them, thats why he wants to do it. He definately could.

Comment

most definitely he could do it, and do it well. In response to him being a liability in coverage, especially against the Winslows/Wittens/Gates of the world I would say, who isn't? I don't think any coordinator in the league feels comfortable locking up one of their guys on one of the three elite tight ends. Then taking into account his basketball background, and his obvious freakish athleticism, I would venture that he'd be one of the best as far as pure ability to cover tight ends. Aside from that, if he is in coverage he'll mainly be asked to cover the flats at most, and with the wingspan that comes with 6'8", he would be able to take away almost all slants to his side of the field.

Now to the rushing part. The part that comes natural. I think he could be everything that Adalius Thomas was in baltimore, Demarcus Ware is in Dallas, and James Harrison/Lamar Woodley are in Pittsburgh.

As Menardo pointed out earlier, it's going to come down to money. Which team is going to be willing to pull the trigger that makes him the highest paid defensive player in the league.
          Originally posted by Babylon
          It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

he's too big but he'll manage in that role.

its not a question of whether he can move forward and backward. the question is how fluid is he moving side to side? with his large frame, even with his athleticism I think he'll have a hard time with this transition.

but its worth giving a try. he could potentially change the game at that position the way LT did.

emphasis on potentially. as far as im concerned, Peppers has not lived up to expectations as a pass rusher since he's been in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Legend234 View Post
              First off, I don't think he wants to play the Ellis role in the 34. He sees James Harrison, Joey Porter, Demarcus Ware and others putting up numbers in that rush linebacker spot and he knows he is more athletic than all of them, thats why he wants to do it. He definately could.
              Greg Ellis had 13 sacks in that role in 2007, Shaun Phillips had 12 in 2006, Lamaar Woodley had 12 this year, it doesn't really matter what side your on to rack up sack totals, if he was hell bent on that he would of been a RE his entire career to rush the QB's blindside and not a LE.

Both OLB's in that scheme primarily rush the passer so the numbers can come from wherever, a good 3-4 coordinator would move him around alot anyway.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

He has always been used in that way by Carolina. They dropped him into coverage more than any other 4-3 team would ever do with a DE. I think he would be exceptional in that role.

Comment

While I worry about a 6'7 280lb guys ability to flow through traffic from the linebacker position, Peppers would probably be fine in a 3-4, but I still think his best spot is as a 4-3 end. I'm a little skeptical about how he'll succeed because he has had some off years, and seems to need talent across from him to succeed at the level he's about to get paid at. If he were to go to Denver as a friend of mine thinks I doubt he'd produce very well, because he'd be too easy to target.

My ideal landing place for him is Houston. I know thats a LOT of money to put into the D-line, but Peppers and Williams off the edges with Okoye hopefully continuing to develop in the middle, you could cover up a secondary that has some problems pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by gramage View Post
                    While I worry about a 6'7 280lb guys ability to flow through traffic from the linebacker position, Peppers would probably be fine in a 3-4, but I still think his best spot is as a 4-3 end. I'm a little skeptical about how he'll succeed because he has had some off years, and seems to need talent across from him to succeed at the level he's about to get paid at. If he were to go to Denver as a friend of mine thinks I doubt he'd produce very well, because he'd be too easy to target.

My ideal landing place for him is Houston. I know thats a LOT of money to put into the D-line, but Peppers and Williams off the edges with Okoye hopefully continuing to develop in the middle, you could cover up a secondary that has some problems pretty easily.
                    I agree from a standpoint that I'm the biggest Mario homer to ever live, but it would work considerably well. Because of the lack of solid secondary and poor LB corps you could hide those problems with 2 elite DE's like Mario and Peppers, plus those two would instantly give the Texans the best 43 pass rush in the league. But I don't know how realistic that is to pay 2 guys huge amounts of money that both play the same position.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioPalmer View Post
                      I agree from a standpoint that I'm the biggest Mario homer to ever live, but it would work considerably well. Because of the lack of solid secondary and poor LB corps you could hide those problems with 2 elite DE's like Mario and Peppers, plus those two would instantly give the Texans the best 43 pass rush in the league. But I don't know how realistic that is to pay 2 guys huge amounts of money that both play the same position.
                      Osi, Tuck and kiwi > Peppers, mario and weaver

Comment

Originally posted by MarioPalmer View Post
                        It is hard to see, but keep in mind they've got noone in the back 7 who they have to worry about signing for big money (the MLB gets great reviews, but he's only 2 years in so they've got room there) so I don't think blowing the budget on the D-line hurts as bad as it would most teams.

They get Peppers, settle the issues at RB and get the O-line to play at least a little better and I could see them making a strong playoff run, colts or no colts.

Comment

Peppers is an unusual guy. I have no idea whether he really wants to go to another team, or even if he really wants to go to a 34.

He could do it, he could be a great 34 player, but depending on the coach and supporting cast he has he could continue to be a special 43 end.

I just hate that the Panthers have to sign an all pro LT as well as restructure some key vets all in 10 days to have a chance at franchising pep and getting something for him. Losing Gross would be mega painful.

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                            I've been thinking about a Kampman - Peppers trade for awhile now. Makes sense for a lot of parties.
                            No it doesn't. Neither of them has experience in a 3-4 and Kampman would probably transition better than Peppers. What do the Packers get out of that?

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                              Peppers is an unusual guy. I have no idea whether he really wants to go to another team, or even if he really wants to go to a 34.

He could do it, he could be a great 34 player, but depending on the coach and supporting cast he has he could continue to be a special 43 end.

I just hate that the Panthers have to sign an all pro LT as well as restructure some key vets all in 10 days to have a chance at franchising pep and getting something for him. Losing Gross would be mega painful.
                              Either way his interview was very entertaining.
                              Originally posted by 49erNation85
                              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                                I have no idea whether he really wants to go to another team, or even if he really wants to go to a 34.
                                Have you not listened to any of his previous quotes lately? He's stated he wants out of Carolina and wants to be in a 3-4, there really wasn't any dancing around the question either.

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                                No it doesn't. Neither of them has experience in a 3-4 and Kampman would probably transition better than Peppers. What do the Packers get out of that?

How do you figure Kampman will transition better, because he plays for the Packers?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information