Julius Peppers in the 3-4 Scheme??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julius Peppers in the 3-4 Scheme??

I was rewatching the Pro-Bowl on my DVR and I was looking on the net and I hear this interview from Peppers on the sideline, so I'm dropping in and out of the conversation and I all of sudden hear him say that he wantsa to play in the 34 scheme.

I then asked myself, what the hell for? He's a prototype 43 DE. He is the one of the best DE's in the 43 along with Mario Williams, Justin Tuck and Jared Allen. What is his angle for wanting to move to a 34? I know he is athletic enough, I know he has the speed and agility to play the run while the runner is in space, but he has been such a great 43 DE, why mess with the formula and go to something completely different?

I know his speed and athleticism would translate well to the 34, but wouldn't it be better for him to stay in the 43 and play to his strengths especially if tis will be his last big contract he'll sign? I mean, he is 28 years old, and this contract would be the contract that would carry him to his mid 30's. So why change position now?

To me, it doesn't make much sense, but maybe a Peppers homer and a 34 homer can enlighten me and persuade me into crossing to the other spectrum of the argument. But until then, I think he is making a huge mistake, he would be a great addition to a team like the Redskins, Texans, Seahawks or Bears. Not the Dolphins, 49ers, Browns or Broncos.

If I'm a 34 teams GM, do I even entertain the idea of him making the switch and paying him big time money? I would think that him wanting to make that transition would actually hurt his value because of his inexperience at the 34 OLB rush linebacker spot.

I agree with you, he's a 4-3 DE

Comment

He wants the sack numbers. And, quite honestly, I do think he could pull it off. It won't be conventional, to say the least, but in a hybrid defense he could really do some damage.

Comment

He would be fine in a 3-4 the money is the thing that scares me off.
        Originally posted by 49erNation85
        I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

I don't like this move because he'll need a season or two to adjust, at least and by then he'll be thirty. He could end up putting up monster numbers but it'll take some time and there's big question marks about how soon that'll be.

Comment

If you saw his interview in the Pro Bowl you know he only saying that he wants to play in the 34 because he gets more teams interested and makes more money.

Comment

If Greg Ellis can do it...Peppers will have no problem doing it. Plus, he's always been a freaky athlete, he shouldnt even run into many problems. Like Greg, just have him cut some weight and he'll be fine. I def. see him doing a fine job...we all know he can drop back into coverage no problem as well...he doesnt like doing it, frequently but, he's done it before. Put em on the Dolphins and you have the scariest outside pass rush in the nfl.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
              KO KNOWS

Comment

He wants to play for the packers... :/

sig by fenikz
                Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                You are just a terrible person.
                Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                I have an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by vikes_29 View Post
                  He wants to play for the packers... :/
                  who doesn't? ;)

Comment

I think it could work but it will take at least a year for him to adjust. He has a vast skillset and could end up elevating the terrorist color level thingy to burnt sienna.
                    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

I don't think it would take as much as you all are making it out to be to get adjusted. A player of his abilities will have no struggle rushing the passer standing up as opposed to on three points.

It'll take some getting used to going into coverage a lot more often, but i'm sure he can get by on athletic ability alone. I wouldn't have him covering TE's though, because the Witten's and Winslow's of the world would just shred him apart.

Comment

My biggest question with him is how quickly he develops necessary LB instincts so taht he isn't a liability against the run. Angles, reading plays, etc. there's a lot of mental things he has to work out and those will hurt his play, especially in the his first year at the new position.

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                          If Greg Ellis can do it...Peppers will have no problem doing it. Plus, he's always been a freaky athlete, he shouldnt even run into many problems. Like Greg, just have him cut some weight and he'll be fine. I def. see him doing a fine job...we all know he can drop back into coverage no problem as well...he doesnt like doing it, frequently but, he's done it before. Put em on the Dolphins and you have the scariest outside pass rush in the nfl.
                          This.

It's not really that huge of a transition, has everyone already forgot that Kampman is making the same change as well? I'd put my money on the athletic freak, multi-sport player that is Julius Peppers to transition better...Alot of 3-4 defenses put their OLB on the outside with their hand in the dirt ie Dallas, Baltimore, San Diego off the top of my head.

He's played both sides of the line in the 4-3 so he can rush the passer from both sides, that's basically what your asking him to do, yes he will have to drop back in coverage but come on, anytime he drops back into coverage from the line it usually results in an INT...He could probably move to TE if he wanted to, 3-4 OLB won't be a problem, I think he made the comments to basically say I'll play for whoever, so we will see who throws the most money at him.

I heard Carolina will franchise him though, which is still a possibility...If you look back, so many other 4-3 DE's have switched to an OLB in a 3-4 in one years time and had no problems making the switch, and those guys weren't half as talented as Peppers is.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I wouldn't trust him in the 3-4. There isn't much precedent for a 6'8 280+ linebacker. I'm not saying he couldn't do it, but there's some things working against him. Peppers is an absolutely freaky athlete who would probably be lethal in a hybrid scheme, but the entire massive 3-4 outside linebacker thing just hasn't been done before. He actually PROJECTS well to it. He's been in coverage a lot for a 4-3 end. Nasty speed and power as well. But I would have to see it before I could believe it. Been saying the same thing about Michael Johnson.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                              who doesn't? ;)
                              Javon Walker?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information