Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodell cuts his pay by 25 percent

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors

In a move that is hardly symbolic given the dollars involved, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has cut his 2008 pay by up to 25 percent, and he'll not accept a raise for 2009.

Since Goodell's total pay for the 2008 fiscal year, which ends March 31, the cut translates to well over $2 million.

Think about that for a second. Goodell gave up voluntarily well over $2 million.

"The Commissioner believes it will take a collective sacrifice of everyone to get through this difficult economic environment," NFL V.P. of corporate communications Brian McCarthy told USA Today.

We'll be curious to see who else, if anyone, makes a $2 million sacrifice.

Damn, that's impressive. Props to him on that. I doubt he needs $2 million though.

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
      Damn, that's impressive. Props to him on that. I doubt he needs $2 million though.
      True but it is still a pretty cool move in my book.

Comment

Maybe it will convince Ray Lewis to take less money so we can keep all our LB's :)
        Originally posted by SunTzu_22
        Just let it go RWO.
        We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Comment

Obviously he doesnt need it if he cut it from his own pay. This just tells you how effed the economy is, a guy of this magnitude can afford to give up 2 million dollars despite what is happening.

Comment

I think it is a BOLD act by him. You don't see Selig doing this, oh no. That 2 million dollars saved a bunch of jobs in the NFL I bet. I definitely respect him.

Follow Me on Twitter!
            https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

jeah i can respect this

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
              - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
              - Corner or Wideout in the first
              - No reaching
              - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Maybe he was worried that his salary was no longer acceptable by a lot of owners who have suffered set backs in their own businesses. Maybe he was afraid they'd look for somebody cheaper so he acted to insure his job???
                We'll never know but I suspect that he had other motives besides just giving up 2 million dollars on a whim.
                And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                  Maybe he was worried that his salary was no longer acceptable by a lot of owners who have suffered set backs in their own businesses. Maybe he was afraid they'd look for somebody cheaper so he acted to insure his job???
                  We'll never know but I suspect that he had other motives besides just giving up 2 million dollars on a whim.
                  I'm sure he did have other motives but I really don't think fear of losing his job was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                    I'm sure he did have other motives but I really don't think fear of losing his job was one of them.
                    Well, you never know what is happening inside the NFL. We have no idea how many owners are feeling the pinch due to the economy, how much money they have lost on advertising revenue, merchandise sales etc. etc.
                    There could have been immense pressure on him to accept a lower salary and he is just making the best of a tough situation. We'll never know.
                    And proud of it!!!

Comment

Good move, albeit it's mostly symbolic.

by BoneKrusher
                      <DG> how metal unseen
                      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

its a nice move.

Comment

Two million is only 25% of his pay?

...He must earn his salary through players' fines! Any one? No?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

This is a big move by him, bigger than all those CEOs that agree to cut their salaries to one dollar. With those CEOs they will make a fortune from stock options, they get the option to buy a lot of stock at this years price 2 years from now. The hidden benefit of the company stock collapsing.

Comment

I now have some respect for the guy

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information