Goodell cuts his pay by 25 percent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
    That is nice of him and all, but the first thing I thought of was the fact that $2 million was 25% of his pay.

Salaries in the NFL are ridiculous. I don't understand how back up NFL players make twice as much as some doctors.
    Supply and demand. Many, many, many people can become doctors, not as many can become NFL players.

As another comparison, which do you think is more important, a lawyer or a sanitation worker? Obviously it is a sanitation worker, otherwise the streets would be filled with trash and the like. But damn near anyone can be a sanitation worker, and there are people who can't be a lawyer. So lawyers get paid more. People don't get paid according to the importance of their work, they get paid according to how many people can do their job.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
      Supply and demand. Many, many, many people can become doctors, not as many can become NFL players.

As another comparison, which do you think is more important, a lawyer or a sanitation worker? Obviously it is a sanitation worker, otherwise the streets would be filled with trash and the like. But damn near anyone can be a sanitation worker, and there are people who can't be a lawyer. So lawyers get paid more. People don't get paid according to the importance of their work, they get paid according to how many people can do their job.
      That, and the fact that the NFL makes alot of money because it's a popular product. The collective history of all professional sporting leagues has been mired with low pay and financial woe. Basically, the money's gotta go somewhere.

by BoneKrusher
      <DG> how metal unseen
      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Yes, but unfortunately the salaries and cap increases are being driving ticket and merchandise prices rather the other way around now.

Comment

Sure it's a nice gesture, but I get the feeling it was a bit of a publicity stunt. I'd be willing to bet that if the media hadn't started all the "Bud Selig is way overpaid" talk, Goodell would not have done this. It makes him look like a saint to some while making other commissioners look greedy. Out of curiosity, anyone know where the money goes? Are the owners the ones who pay his salary? I doubt any of the billionaire owners are in need of a little extra cash.

Comment

He earns more respect from me, as much as he frustrates me, that's awesome that he did this.

Now let's see Bud Selig do this.
            | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

Originally posted by Stash View Post
              Sure it's a nice gesture, but I get the feeling it was a bit of a publicity stunt. I'd be willing to bet that if the media hadn't started all the "Bud Selig is way overpaid" talk, Goodell would not have done this. It makes him look like a saint to some while making other commissioners look greedy. Out of curiosity, anyone know where the money goes? Are the owners the ones who pay his salary? I doubt any of the billionaire owners are in need of a little extra cash.
              Well idk. I'm not an accountant for a NFL team so I can't throw around any numbers, but think how much is costs to just pay the team, staff and maintenance of a stadium, advertisement etc.

I'm not saying owners are going around panhandling for change or anything :P, it's very possible their lifestyle doesn't even change. However, I'd bet money that their franchises are running slightly different with the economy this way.

However, 2 million dollars divided amongst 32 teams is not going to change anything :P

Comment

He'll make that back fining guys who breathe on QB's.
                Originally posted by SNIPER26
                fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

it's a nice gesture, PR-stunt maybe, but all the hate isn't fair here. It doesn't really matter if you like the guy, it's a nice gesture to cut your own pay by any amount.

And he makes a lot of money, yeah. So what? Good for him, don't hate the guy, hate the system.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                  don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Wow! Good for Goodell. How do we +Rep the **** out of him??

Love him or hate him, the guy is trying to clean up the image of the NFL, which is a good thing. I think he is over the top with the fines & continuation of the "No Fun League" rules, but he clearly "gets it" - which is far more than can be said for the majority of corporate America. Don't forget - he had reduced the prices on SB tix, too. The man is doing what he thinks is RIGHT. That, sadly, needs to be celebrated and used as an example in today's society because it is rare to see execs doing the right thing.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

This was a great move by Goodell. I don't care if 2 mill is nothing to him (its not btw, 25% of anyone's salary is a big donation), 2 mill is 2 mill no matter how you cut it.

I love Goodell, the only beef I have with him is how he micromanages too much sometimes, and his inconsistency with his punishments. But hey, at the end of the day, he's done more good than bad, and I think he'll be a great commissioner.

Comment

2 million is still a lot of money, but I had no idea he was this overpaid.

Comment

OMGZ, he suspends to many players who do bad things that I want to see play.
                          Goodell is the best pro admin there is out there and He just took a pay cut for more money than I'll likely earn in my poverty stricken life. Impressive.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                          they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                          Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information