No announcement yet.

It takes more than running the ball and playing D to win in today's NFL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think running the ball and playing good D needs to usually be coupled with good QB play to make it all the way. Sometimes a very average QB can win a ring with a great run game and D, but chances are sometime in the playoffs or the Superbowl, you just need your QB to go out there and take the W. I think the Steelers showed that this season.

So alone they're not usually enough, but running the ball and good D are still going to likely get you further.

Comment

I don't know if "run the ball and play good defence" was ever the only way to win. I don't think those Montana/Young 49er teams were running teams.

Whether you pass to set up the run or run to set up the pass, you have to be able to take advantage of a team when they overload one way or the other. The 2000 ravens didn't make a lot of plays passing but they did make big plays.

Personally I think "pass the ball and rush the passer" is at least as good a philosophy, and steeler fans probably agree with me this year.

Comment

Your topic making abilities should be revoked.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

uh you obviously need something to compliment your strength.

you can't be 1st in pass and dead last on run because they can just play pass ... and you can't be 1st running and last on passing because they will put 8 in the box.

Comment

This thread makes John Madden look football literate.

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
              Your topic making abilities should be revoked.
              QFT

Originally posted by yodachu View Post
              This thread makes John Madden look football literate.
              Quoted for Truth. Topic sucks. Really competes for the suckass-ness of another topic about Anquan Boldin specualtion.

Comment

balance, balance , balance !

see the saints... number 1 offense in a few categories , but no running game at all.... 9-7 and dead last in their division. They had no defense either.... i stay with the old school rule, until i see pass-only poor-defense team like the saints win that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
                  Last 2 superbowl winners- New York Giants and Pitsburgh Steelers(defensive and running teams)
                  Last 2 superbowl losers- New England Patriots and Arizona Cardinals(passing teams)

End of discussion
                  This past season the Steelers totaled 506passing attempts, 3,607 yards passing, 19 passing TD's, 460 rushing attempts 1,690 yards rushing, 16 rushing TD's. During the entire season, including the playoffs, the Steelers only had a 100 yard rusher 4 times.

The Giants also had more passing attempts, yards and TD's than rushing in 2007.

Yeah, you really ended the discussion. :D

But despite the irrefutable facts I posted, you'll probably just be stubborn and cling to the stereotype that passing is secondary in the NFL. And there will still be other posters acting as if nobody sticks to this stereotype despite posts like the one I quoted. No biggie, people don't like it when you notice things they weren't perceptive enough to.
                  Last edited by Halsey; 02-15-2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                    Rose = Red
                    Red = Color

Rose = Color?
                    I was being facetious.

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                      I was being facetious.
                      i was being facetious

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                        This past season the Steelers totaled 506passing attempts, 3,607 yards passing, 19 passing TD's, 460 rushing attempts 1,690 yards rushing, 16 rushing TD's. During the entire season, including the playoffs, the Steelers only had a 100 yard rusher 4 times.

Yeah, you really ended the discussion. :D

But despite the irrefutable facts I posted, you'll probably just be stubborn and cling to the stereotype that passing is secondary in the NFL. And there will still be other posters acting as if nobody sticks to this stereotype despite posts like the one I quoted. No biggie, people don't like it when you notice things they weren't perceptive enough to.
                        Do u understand that Run First teams CAN pass? no one says passing is irrelevant. The Steelers are a run first team. The Giants are a run first team. What do u think do they rely on?

Comment

That stat is so irrelevant. Most teams get more yardage, attempts and usually touchdowns through the air than through the ground, comparing both is like compare apples and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglez.Fan View Post
                            And if you say the Steelers couldn't run very well, they were more of a passing team that is also wrong.
                            It is? See the facts I posted above. Maybe it's just me, but when a team passes it more than runs it and has more passing TD's, I consider them a 'passing team' more than a 'running team'.

Comment

It is? See the facts I posted above. Maybe it's just me, but when a team passes it more than runs it and has more passing TD's, I consider them a 'passing team' more than a 'running team'.
                              OMGZ STATS!!!!! Show me a ******* team that doesnt have more passing TDs than Rushing TDs...

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                                i was being facetious
                                Touche....

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information