No announcement yet.

2009 designated franchise players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else not like the franchise tag? I would be down for it if you could only use it for one year, but otherwise I'm not a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
      The deadline is tomorrow, and some more are coming in. Let's just make one thread.

Schefter breaks more news:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/char...nchise-player/

Bryant is absolutely no surprise, but I'm shocked the Chargers franchised Sproles. That makes no sense to me whatsoever, AJ Smith is an idiot. He needs to spend that money elsewhere.
      Was Polian an idiot for placing the franchise tag on Dallas Clark last year?

Anyways, I don't see a scenario where we actually pay Sproles the franchise tag money. He either signs a long term deal or gets traded IMO.

Comment

Antonio Bryant got tagged
        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
          Apparently Peppers made a list of 4 teams to be traded to providing he is franchised. Dallas is the only one named so far according to Yahoo.com
          Ya it was Dallas with 2 other NFC teams and one AFC team.
          Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
            Anyone else not like the franchise tag? I would be down for it if you could only use it for one year, but otherwise I'm not a fan.
            Yea im not a fan of the franchise tag. Mostly when the player wants to leave for more reasons then money. The way I see it if a player doesnt want to play for my team then **** him I dont want him either. I want every player on my team to be 100% committed to my team.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
              Was Polian an idiot for placing the franchise tag on Dallas Clark last year?

Anyways, I don't see a scenario where we actually pay Sproles the franchise tag money. He either signs a long term deal or gets traded IMO.
              1. What a stupid argument. I wanted to write this up for an article, but I might as well get to it now.

If Polian ever had the following '10 free agents:

- QB Philip Rivers
              - RB LaDainian Tomlinson* (he's signed through '11, but he won't see those last two backloaded years)
              - WR Chris Chambers
              - WR Vincent Jackson
              - WR Malcolm Floyd
              - LT Marcus McNeil
              - OLB Shawne Merriman

and the following '11 free agents:

- TE Antonio Gates
              - NT Jamal Williams
              - S Eric Weddle

and he spends almost $7M for one year of Sproles? When the current CBA forces you to construct contracts to increase by no more than 30% from one year to the next? Then he would be a complete moron.

2. Chargers fans thought the team could trade a franchised Michael Turner, if I recall. They sure got that 1st round pick there.

Who's going to give up a draft pick for a scatback/return man, when they have to pay him too? And once he signs his name to the franchise tender, his '09 tender is guaranteed.

Smith should have just drafted Knowshon Moreno this April, to take Sproles' place this year and then take over for LDT next year. And then you draft a complementary back next year.

Craig Davis was a 1st round pick, one would think he could at least serve as the return man in the meantime.
              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Panthers are pretty likely to franchise either Gross or Peppers, depending on how the contractual negotiations with Gross go. According to every source under the sun, the Panthers and Gross are close, as in letting ink dry, close and his deal will be announced soon. I've heard that on three separate dates though so take this with a grain of salt.

Peppers announcement, in a truly douchebag maneuver has come out and said there's four teams he wants to play for.

According to sources two of these teams the Panthers would hate to trade him to. This makes me think they're in the NFC:S.

Obviously one isn't NO, and anywhere in florida is likely to grab his attention (huge payday no income tax) so I'm thinking he's looking at Tampa.

Dallas is the other team, so there's the 34 link and the fact that Jones throws money at anything

As for the other two teams, I really don't know, Obviously they're likely to be playoff teams, or 34 teams so GB, Denver, Jets, Broncs, Pats, Baltimore etc etc

After his shenanigans this offseason though I just hope the Panthers get Gross signed and then trade Peppers to whoever wants to give us the most.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                  Peppers announcement, in a truly douchebag maneuver has come out and said there's four teams he wants to play for.

According to sources two of these teams the Panthers would hate to trade him to. This makes me think they're in the NFC:S.
                  Douchebag is right, I really detest how he's handled this offseason. Look, no one is putting a gun to his head so that he has to stay in Carolina, but all this public crap? Like if two NFC South teams are on this list of four, when no one in the division plays a 3-4 defense which he supposedly desires so much to play for, and how he'll refuse to play for anyone not on the list, and so on. It's just dumb imo.

If he has to play under the franchise tag for one more year in Carolina, then so be it. It's not like he has to sign a long-term deal, and I doubt they could afford to franchise him again next year (and if they did, he'd make between 45-50M in three years).

Comment

Peppers and Abraham. Oh boy.

Comment

Ya the tag blows. Its makes free agency not as exciting as it could have been. Not to mention basically every player hates getting it.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

Rams designate safety OJ Atogwe as their franchise player.

He's now off the market too.

Comment

I don't like how teams can repeatedly use the tag on the same player.

Comment

You can only do it so many years, because it costs 120% to do with each following year.

Comment

So from that list of all those big free agents everyone was excited about who is left? Fat Albert, YourMomma, Warner, Peppers, Gross.... but Gross will probably sign and then Peppers gets tagged so basically no one.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

I've never really cared about the tag considering Jacobs is the 3rd guy the Giants have ever tagged, but it's kind of annoying. I guess it's handy, but there should be a limit. idk, it's frustrating these big names wont be on the market. it makes FA so much more fun and exciting
                                We ALL bleed scarlet
                                New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                                UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                                Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                                BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information