No announcement yet.

2009 designated franchise players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When does the dead line to tag a player end midnight tonight?

Comment

I think it was 4 pm eastern.
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
        But a LOT of these guys aren't the team's best player. Suggs yeah. Peppers of course. Even Dansby and Robinson I can understand.

But Sproles, Bryant...Scaife even...I really question those a little more.
        If they are tagging these guys to prolong time until they sign a deal I see no problem, that's how we did it with Hamlin, sometimes you need a little more time to work out the kinks.

But even if, what's the big deal, if you are given a franchise tag to use, why shouldn't they be able to use it...Sproles could be a one good year fix for SD, maybe Tampa wants to see another year out of Bryant before paying him a huge deal.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I think it was Charlie Casserly or Adam Schefter on NFLN who made a very good point:

Teams are more apt to use the franchise tag this year, given uncertainty about the expiring CBA and what's going to happen.

Comment

I don't think the Panthers will get what most expect in a trade for Pep after franchising him.

1.Teams know the Panthers have to move him. They can't afford to keep him and he dosen't want to be there.
            2. He says he'll only play in a 3-4, that narrows it down more.
            3. he's going to command a monster contract, narrows down the teams further yet.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
              You're right on Turner, they didn't franchise him, and the current CBA possibly helping out. Although surely we can agree it's risky to bank on that, even though I personally think there won't be a new CBA by the start of next season (I don't think we'll get to a labor stopage though).

Polian actually never locks up players until they are very close to free agency, for whatever reason. I wonder what his thought process is behind that, but I digress.

His philosophy, as you say and he's said, is to keep the great players, not the good ones. I imagine Smith feels the same.

But I don't think Smith can wait to do all of that, given how many quality free agents are coming up this year. Why not use some of this year's cap space to sign one or two guys now, at least? Even if he doesn't plan on signing Merriman long-term given his knee, maybe he'll franchise him for a year or two to see how things progress, Smith still has some guys he needs to lock up.

First and foremost, Philip Rivers has to be re-signed. One of the three starting wide receivers as well, most likely Jackson, although I'd aim for two of them. Chambers is the oldest, but he's the receiver I fear the most if he's healthy and playing with Philip Rivers - they have a good chemistry and he can be hard to cover, when you're concerned with Gates and the RB. Floyd is younger and is a bigger body though, would probably come cheaper.
              They're already working on his contract right now. He will be extended this year.

Floyd is one of the most frustrating player to watch simply because as soon as he lights it up, he gets injured and misses the rest of the year.

I hope they can restructure Chamber's contract into something more manageable if we do resign him. He has only one more year left, but he takes up 5 million this year.

Comment

Leroy Hill got tagged? really? wow...
                We ALL bleed scarlet
                New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

If you have the cap space why not?

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                    I don't think the Panthers will get what most expect in a trade for Pep after franchising him.

1.Teams know the Panthers have to move him. They can't afford to keep him and he dosen't want to be there.
                    2. He says he'll only play in a 3-4, that narrows it down more.
                    3. he's going to command a monster contract, narrows down the teams further yet.
                    He is also going to me 29 I believe? If so I think that will also keep them from getting the same value the Chiefs got for Jared Allen who was 26.

Comment

• Is there a dead line for RFA or was it the same deal line as the tag?

Comment

• February 26 is the deadline for teams to submit offers to their restricted free agents, and also exclusive rights free agents (players with only 1 or 2 years in the league).

April 17 is the deadline for another team to sign a RFA to an offer sheet.

April 24 is the deadline for teams to exercise right of first refusal, ie. match the offer sheet, if their RFAs are signed by another team.

2009 NFL key dates

Comment

• Thank you sir.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information