No announcement yet.

Nnamdi Asomugha Signs With Raiders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanna see him get out of Oakland so bad, but I guess Al figures that's about the only draft pick that panned out and he's not letting him go anywhere.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
      I would be shocked if he is not tagged if they can't get a deal done
      Same here.
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

No way he hasn't learned his lesson after being there for however long he has been in Oakland.

I think its better for both parties to franchise him and trade him. Oakland has no need for a shutdown CB when they can get help at other positions, and Asomugha can go to a place where his coverage skills will actually be appreciated by some wins.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

The ravens need to get a hold of Asomugha. If he is franchised I think they should offer their 1st rounder with a couple other picks over the next two years. They get him, keep working with Fabian Washington and hold out hope Rolle has one more year and the secondary is in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by The Legend View Post
            They tagged Aso twice now.
            This time, if it happens, would be the second time. I'm not sure if that was what you were saying or not.

Comment

Best corner in the league won't be a free agent

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html

Asomugha, Raiders nearing deal
              By Jim Trotter, SI.com

Nnamdi Asomugha and the Oakland Raiders are on the verge of a landmark contract that could bring the All-Pro cornerback $26 million, at least, in guarantees over the next two years, a source familiar with the negotiations said today.

Agent Tom Condon has forwarded the proposed contract to the NFL's Management Council for approval, which is usually the final step before a deal is finalized.

Asomugha, one of the game's top cornerbacks, will be franchised for a second consecutive year if the Management Council rejects the contract proposal. Teams have until 4 p.m. today to designate franchise players; the Raiders would use the tag on Asomugha to protect themselves from losing him in free agency without compensation.

The $26 million approximates what Asomugha would earn over the next two years if the Raiders used the franchise tag on him in 2009 and 2010. The source said the guaranteed money could climb as high as $29 million over the next two years. Even more noteworthy is the proposed deal, which runs six years for salary cap purposes, includes an out clause that would allow Asomugha to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2010 season.

Yesterday, the Raiders reached agreement with free-agent punter Shane Lechler on a $12 million, four-year deal that reportedly includes $9 million in guarantees.

Comment

Interesting. Oakland has been doing a lot of cramming guaranteed money into the first two years. The Javon Walker contract was exactly the same (in fact, all his guaranteed cash will be paid out by this June). I thought 26 million in guarantees was about right about a week ago, but now I'm very interested to see the structure of this contract. It looks pretty unique.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                  i'm shocked he'd sign now, without testing the market. especially for a deal that sounds nearly identical to what he'd get if they kept tagging him.
                  Except here he has some long term security if he gets hurt, which was one of the major concerns he voiced after getting tagged the first time last year.

Comment

im not sure why he signs with oakland again

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post

Money. What do you think winning trumps cash? To quote Lawyer Milloy "you can't feed your family with superbowl rings."

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                        I can't figure out why anyone would want to.

But that's just me.
                        | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

For some strange reason, I'd like it if Asomugha stays with the Raiders. It's where he came up and I think he can help turn it around.

Comment

Originally posted by gramage View Post
                            Money. What do you think winning trumps cash? To quote Lawyer Milloy "you can't feed your family with superbowl rings."
                            ...You think he isn't going to get money elsewhere? I am sure each player wants to win, especially if they have been in the black hole that is Oakland.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                              ...You think he isn't going to get money elsewhere? I am sure each player wants to win, especially if they have been in the black hole that is Oakland.
                              He could but if he likes the deal in front of him he'll take it. And as for wanting to win I think Milloy said what a lot of players think: they'd rather make more money then win superbowls. Not many guys do the Tom Brady thing and leave money on the table, and how much more money has he made off the field for being to golden boy he's become?

Comment

Per roto:

The Raiders reportedly don't plan to franchise tag Nnamdi Asomugha if they fail to work out a long-term deal with him by 4PM ET.
                                Asomugha would then hit the market and probably get more money than what Oakland is proposing. Every team in the league would have interest.
                                Source: Sporting News

Looks like they have a deadline to meet.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information