Nnamdi Asomugha Signs With Raiders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gramage View Post
    He could but if he likes the deal in front of him he'll take it. And as for wanting to win I think Milloy said what a lot of players think: they'd rather make more money then win superbowls. Not many guys do the Tom Brady thing and leave money on the table, and how much more money has he made off the field for being to golden boy he's become?
    i dont get this argument. Why wouldnt he go somewhere where he gets the money AND he can win rings?

Comment

Yeah, but if I had to choose between believing the Sporting News or Sports Illustrated, I know which one I'm choosing.

Comment

I firmly believe Al Davis would franchise Asomugha for the next two years, and maybe even a third past that, before letting him walk willy-nilly.

There's no other player he'd rather have imo.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
          I firmly believe Al Davis would franchise Asomugha for the next two years, and maybe even a third past that, before letting him walk willy-nilly.

There's no other player he'd rather have imo.
          Well, he couldn't franchise him a 4th time in a row, but yes, I'm sure that Al Davis promised to keep Asomugha around one way or another. This way Aso gets longterm security if he gets injured.

Comment

Originally posted by gramage View Post
            Money. What do you think winning trumps cash? To quote Lawyer Milloy "you can't feed your family with superbowl rings."
            Yeah, as if a guy making $5 million instead of $8 million is going to have trouble feeding his family.

I freaking hate that argument from sports players. It's not about providing for your family so don't try to BS us by telling us that it is. It's about status. That's what this is all about. You want to have high status because you have so much money.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
              Yeah, as if a guy making $5 million instead of $8 million is going to have trouble feeding his family.

I freaking hate that argument from sports players. It's not about providing for your family so don't try to BS us by telling us that it is. It's about status. That's what this is all about. You want to have high status because you have so much money.
              I hope I don't come off as supporting Milloy's view, I bring it up because I think it affects a lot of players decisions, I wish players had more perspective on life and money. Of course althlete's don't even understand that they aren't above the law so maybe I'm asking too much.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                that's a valid argument if you can't actually read plain english.

"The $26 million approximates what Asomugha would earn over the next two years if the Raiders used the franchise tag on him in 2009 and 2010."

given that the raiders, from all rumors, WILL franchise him, he's earned no additional money if he signs this contract, and in fact, runs a substantial risk of getting less money on a contract than he might have in the open market.

but i'll assume next time you might actually spend 6 seconds reading a thread before blowing your load as soon as you see the post reply button.
                im not sure, id work out a deal if they are going to franchise me or demand a trade or something, in his position i wouldnt have tried to sign one before that

Comment

ESPN is saying NA just got a 3 year deal done (45m).

Comment

Good to see he gets some security.

Comment

Good to see it get done now it free's up much needed cap space.
                      Derrick Morgan > All

Comment

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/asom...-with-raiders/

Asomugha lands complex three-year deal with Raiders
                        Posted: February 19th, 2009 | Adam Schefter

For a change, the Oakland Raiders intercepted CB Nnamdi Asomugha on his way to the free-agent market.

Asomugha signed a three-year deal that is worth a minimum of $45 million and could reach $50 million, a league source said.

Itís a complex contract that the NFL had to sift through and approve, and it has. The deal works like this:

The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid quarterbacks in the game or $16.875 million ó whichever is greater. If the Raiders fail to pick up the option, Asomugha will become a free agent, with Oakland not having the ability to tag him again.

Itís a complex deal, but the bottom line is itís done. The Raiders kept Asomugha and punter Shane Lechler without having to use a franchise tag.

Comment

That is a ridiculous deal for a Cornerback. Hard to blame the Raiders really, they did find a way to keep their two top players in Oakland. Wow though, it sure came at a large cost.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                          - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                          www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Wow he really re-signed? I gotta give it up for a player with team loyalty, but seriously Nnamdi deserves a better team.

Comment

Thats a pretty dope deal. Not even a long term one, but ****, if you can get that much money quickly and that much guaranteed money, he is going to just get even more in 3 years.

Aso is what? 28, 29? Probably will be his second last contract unless he goes the old man route and junks around from team-team picking up pay checks until he is 38 or something...

Comment

That's a great job by both sides getting it done. This is a perfect deal for Aso. I still can't believe he would want to stay in Oakland though.
                                Originally posted by 49erNation85
                                I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information