No announcement yet.

All Decade Team(2000's)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id take a guy that has 3-4 incredible seasons over a guy that has 5 nice seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
      Id take a guy that has 3-4 incredible seasons over a guy that has 5 nice seasons.
      So what are you saying by that?

Comment

Originally posted by russie View Post
        agreed. hester may have had the best statistical season out of the two, but he really has only had an great impact for the one season. with hall, it was a few seasons where he was the best. dont think that i am taking anything away from hester, i'd love to have him returning kicks for the vikes, but as of now(even though he has plenty of time to regain form), he isnt that scary returning the kicks. the bears screwed up when they tried to make him a #1 receiver. they should have left him alone, just returning kicks, making half a dozen highlight reels a year.
        What? Hester had two amazing seasons as a return man. Hall had, at best, three, and none touch what Hester did.

And the Bears screwed up making him a receiver? He's developing at a very rapid rate. The dude can play.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
          And the Bears screwed up making him a receiver? He's developing at a very rapid rate. The dude can play.
          he's developing at a very rapid rate? that's why receiver is once again a need of the bears? the man was amazing(and scary) when all he had to do was return kicks. when the bears started to hang their hats on him being their #1 receiver, his return production went down. just because LT has good hands, doesnt mean the chargers should turn him into a wide receiver. and before you question it, i use this anallogy point out that hester was the LT of returners, and special teams is still one third of the game.
          oh noes!!1! i've been rep raped

Comment

I personally think that the argument would be between Edge vs. Portis. While Alexander was viewed as soft and ran behind an excellent O-Line, he put up just amazing numbers between 01 and 05. I mean, he had 98 TDs in those 5 years(incl rec. tds). And he averaged about 1500 yards rushing and 250 yards receiving in those seasons.

So, as for a Edge vs. Portis argument, let's look at some stats... James has played 25 more games than Portis this decade. So in terms of per game numbers Portis is better in almost every category. He actually even has more TDs than James despite the less games played(76TDs vs. 74TDs this decade). Portis has 7 more yards per game, and 0.4 more yards per carry. The yards per game isn't too significant, but the YPC is. In this argument Edge misses out on his rookie season which really hurts him as he had over 2100 yards from scrimmage and 17 TDs in 1999.

So I think I will be changing Edge to Portis, and leaving Alexander on the list.

Comment

he's developing at a very rapid rate? that's why receiver is once again a need of the bears?
              I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but most teams play more than one wide receiver on the field at the same time.

Hester's decline was inevitable as a return man. It happens to every single player. The freakish atleticism he has is better harnessed from an actual position where he can have value for many more years.

Comment

Casey Hampton, OP? Come on you can do better.

Comment

Tony Richardson has been pretty dominant fullback I think too if you wanted to keep it RB / FB for both teams.

Comment

Anyway, here's mine:

1st team
                    QB- Peyton Manning
                    RB- LaDanian Tomlinson
                    RB- Edgerrin James
                    WR-Terrell Owens
                    WR- Marvin Harrison
                    TE- Tony Gonzalez
                    OT- Walter Jones
                    OT- Orlando Pace
                    OG- Alan Faneca
                    OG- Will Shields
                    C- Kevin Mawae
                    DE- Jason Taylor
                    DE- Michael Strahan
                    DT- Richard Seymour
                    DT- Kevin Williams
                    LB- Ray Lewis
                    LB- Brian Urlacher
                    LB- Derrick Brooks
                    CB- Champ Bailey
                    CB- Ronde Barber
                    S- Brian Dawkins
                    S- Ed Reed
                    K- Adam Vinatieri
                    P- Shane Lechler
                    Ret- Devin Hester
                    2nd team
                    QB- Tom Brady
                    RB- Marshall Faulk
                    RB- Priest Holmes
                    WR- Randy Moss
                    WR- Tory Holt
                    TE- Antonio Gates
                    OT- Jonathan Ogden
                    OT- Willie Roaf
                    OG- Steve Hutchison
                    OG- Ruben Brown
                    C- Olin Kruetz
                    DE- Dwight Freeney
                    DE- Julius Peppers
                    DT- Warren Sapp
                    DT- Marcus Stroud
                    LB- Zach Thomas
                    LB- Joey Porter
                    LB- James Harrison
                    CB- Ty Law
                    CB- Chris McAllister
                    S- John Lynch
                    S- Troy Polamalu
                    K- David Akers
                    P- Brian Moorman
                    Ret- Dante Hall
                    Last edited by bearsfan_51; 02-21-2009, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                      I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but most teams play more than one wide receiver on the field at the same time.
                      true, and hester is a good slot receiver, but slot receiver is usually a teams 3rd receiver. is the lack of production in the return game worth the small impact he will make as a receiver? i think not. but we will never see eye to eye on this, so it is pointless for either of us to continue arguing. you think he is making great strides as a receiver, and i think the bears once again screwed up one of their few scoring threats

Comment

true, and hester is a good slot receiver, but slot receiver is usually a teams 3rd receiver. is the lack of production in the return game worth the small impact he will make as a receiver? i think not. pbut we will never see eye to eye on this, so it is pointless for either of us to continue arguing. you think he is making great strides as a receiver, and i think the bears once again screwed up one of their few scoring threats
                        This is such a lazy and common statement. We won't see eye to eye on this because you aren't substantiating your argument with any supporting logic.

Let's review your statements so far:

Hester is a good slot receiver: I'm actually not quite sure if you understand what a slot receiver does, but Hester is not really a slot receiver. He is best suited in a flanker position, where he is still off the ball but can play more on the outside and generally have the offense tailored to his deep threat abilities. True, he can run a crossing or a screen route, but he can do this from the flanker spot as well. I'm pretty sure you used it just to make a derogatory statement about his worth, which is also puzzling considering the worth of many so-called "slot receivers" (see: Wes Welker).

The Bears have a lack of production in the return game: False. Danieal Manning is still one of the best kick-returners in the NFL. There has unquestionably been a drop-off in the play of Hester, but this was an inevitable occurance anyway. There is a well-established pattern of returners that fizzle after a few years. Perphaps the switch to offense precipitated this, but only by a year or two at best.

Devin Hester will never develop as a receiver: This is the only statement I can't refute you on, because it's complete conjecture. That said, he's already a starting-caliber wide receiver in the NFL, so that alone accounts for a fair amount more production than you are willing to concede.

The Bears once again screwed up a scoring threat: Perhaps the most laughably ignorant comment of all. What scoring threats, where, have the Bears had since Walter Payton? James Allen? Raymont Harris? Cade McNown? Yikes...

Comment

Casey Hampton may have been my Steelers bias sneaking its way in... But he's been a dominant force in the middle for the Steelers pretty much all decade. He's a big reason why their run defense has been top 3 almost without exception this decade.

Comment

what about curtis martin? just thought i'd throw his name out there

Comment

i dont get how you can actually call hester a starting receiver. if it is simply for the fact that your bears have had him start, then fine, i'll concede that point, but i'd still rather start berrian, wade, and even sidney rice over him. for a starter, his numbers are sub par at best. all i've been trying to say is that his value is better at kr than wr, and the bears have put him in a position where he has to concentrate on both, not just one

Comment

Charles Woodson? come on... Ronde Barber easily is better. O and London Fletcher Baker is better than Joey Porter. What about Edgerrin James, his career was better than Shaun Alexander's. Simeon Rice could arguably be on there as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information